Ordered a Sony XBR65X930C

Being set up this afternoon. I'll start my own thread ;) Dad's taking the 844. Expensive last two weeks. New tires, new laptop, new tv. Merry Christmas to me. Girls get nothing. JK.

S~

Im about 10feet out, and a large 3 person couch is about the width to get full PQ on the 930C. Once you get outside that it washes. Granted Im probably a little more harsh in this area owning pretty much nothing but plasmas. Im most impressed about it's black ability, especially with the lights out.

BTW, with regards to motion flow.

Clear - Best for 60hz, but KILLS light output; Looks a little soapy on 24hz. 1080 lines of motion rez
Smooth - Looks fine on 60hz, waaaaay weird on 24hz; 600 lines of motion rez
Standard - Looks good on 60hz and 24hz to me, also 600 lines
True Cinema - I notice some blur on 60hz because its only 300 lines, but it looks nice on 24hz.

Ive left mine in Standard for about 2 weeks now and am happy with it on both types of source. I could see someone running Standard on 60 and True Cinema on 24hz as well.

Im about 10feet out, and a large 3 person couch is about the width to get full PQ on the 930C. Once you get outside that it washes. Granted Im probably a little more harsh in this area owning pretty much nothing but plasmas. Im most impressed about it's black ability, especially with the lights out.
Might be the difference between the Edge vs. Full Array. I was watching from the kitchen last night while we were eating dinner, and there was not a whole lot of difference between straight on viewing and the off axis in the kitchen. Humongous difference between this and the 844 it replaced. Right now, I just have all of the motion flow off. Haven't had a chance to watch any Blu--ray yet. I do notice some choppiness on TNT and a couple others. Some of these channels are horrible anyways on their motion handling/conversion. Some channels, there is no choppiness with it off.

S~

I would think a FALD would be better at angle just considering the tech/design.

I used side scrolling test patterns and most of them were blurred double images with Off/TrueCinema. With Standard/Smooth they clean up a good bit, kinda same thing I saw in content. Standard, to me, allows more clean motion without being too Soapy, especially on 24hz. Smooth on 24hz is just plain weird. My guess is Smooth vs Standard is just a few more bumps on the frame creation slider. Odd that both are the same motion rez though.

Going to pull the ROKU 4 from upstairs and install it this morning. Funny.... with the side speakers, it looks like a 21:9 display with the black bars on the side.

Yeah, its real wide. I know they love to complain about the speakers on AVS, but I love the look, it has a premium feel to it. I always liked the XBR brand, but this is the first one I ever owned. The 2007 46" XBR4 was one I had my eyes on, but I ended up with a 2008 50" plasma.

18s0c2purpb4yjpg.jpg

One thing I am having trouble with is the clock setting on the display banner when you change channels. Shows --:--. What do you have your Brightness, Contrast, Black Level, and Black Adjust set to?

S~

My clock does not come up, I wondered if that is just a counter for streaming services? My clock works fine in the Home screen.

Brightness was 5 (in any motion flow mode than does not use BFI and reduce light output) for 35 footlamberts
Contrast 94
Gamma -2 for gamma of 2.4
Black Level 49
I have the enhancers off
Auto Local Dimming to High; biggest difference was from off to low to mid, but we did not find any negatives with High.
Pic Mode we calibrated in was Cinema Pro
Color Temp Expert 1
Hue R1
Color 50
Sharpness was right at 50

Using wide mode full and full pixel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts