OS Mio 4K - What's your preferred image and why?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Brct203

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 24, 2016
Connecticut
I have the Edision receiver and have been running the TNAP image, and just over the past few days started looking into other images. I have installed openVIX and PurE2

I can definitely see many differences, even though it's clear that it's still the same core functionality.

I was wondering what image others are using, and why they chose that specific image. What do you see as its strengths and weaknesses.

so far this is what I noticed:

TNAP:
- has the Ku standard LNB predefined
- comes with the Western hemisphere satellites and not the Eastern ones, keeping the list somewhat shorter
- supports 12-hour time display

VIX:
- I like the blindscan options
- more LNB options but lacking std Ku, have to enter it as custom
- large collection of plugins
- Navigation seems a bit more complex compared to TNAP
- Blind Scan seemed a bit slower than on TNAP

PurE2:
- seems strangely similar to VIX
- the sat list is clearly made for European users, lacking anything west of 55 degrees and is Ku-Band-centric
- interesting plug-ins
- blind scan also seemed slow

I used Vix almost exclusively until the last update in late July broke support for the Hauppauge 950Q ATSC adapter. There has been no patch issued since.

I've been using OpenPLi in the meantime and it does everything I need it to do, but I would still prefer using Vix.

Reactions: Brct203
Just curious. I am running TNAP i do not have any image loaded but do have a copy of vix that i might use. On VIX and pure2. You were saying the blind scan is slow but which is more accurate on getting the signals. I am not to concerned about speed scan just accuracy on scan correctly on first try.
Thank you Brct203

Reactions: Brct203
Just curious. I am running TNAP i do not have any image loaded but do have a copy of vix that i might use. On VIX and pure2. You were saying the blind scan is slow but which is more accurate on getting the signals. I am not to concerned about speed scan just accuracy on scan correctly on first try.
Thank you Brct203

Vix has a very accurate blind scan. PurE2 is slow and missed feeds, in my experience.

Reactions: Brct203 and c-spand
I haven't played with mine at all. Running TNAP that came installed. I just watch TV with it. Every once in awhile we go out to eat on Sundays and I'll record 60 Minutes with it. But I liked it right out of the box :)

Reactions: Brct203 and c-spand
I don't care for the default skin of TNAP. I feel like it is "busy," if that makes any sense. Perhaps there are other options, but I have not tried them.
I also find it too busy. Then I tried a few others and ended up back to the default in TNAP. It is a bit busy but does give a lot of information that was missing in most others. But I'm still looking and evaluating

Thank you Brct203
Very good point, I also value accuracy more than speed. I will have to test a bit more and compare logs. I will need to make sure that I'm testing with an equal playing field (same satellite.xml file).

Overall I have found that the blind scan is a bit touchy. I noticed many times that a blind scan could easily miss some TPs on one scan (I saw it a lot with LPB on 87W and with KBS on 123W), and then you scan again and here they are... Or that a blind scan finds many more TPs after a restart of the box.

Reactions: c-spand
Very good point, I also value accuracy more than speed. I will have to test a bit more and compare logs. I will need to make sure that I'm testing with an equal playing field (same satellite.xml file).

Overall I have found that the blind scan is a bit touchy. I noticed many times that a blind scan could easily miss some TPs on one scan (I saw it a lot with LPB on 87W and with KBS on 123W), and then you scan again and here they are... Or that a blind scan finds many more TPs after a restart of the box.
Yes same here with those 2 sat also. I do restart box too,

I haven't played with mine at all. Running TNAP that came installed. I just watch TV with it. Every once in awhile we go out to eat on Sundays and I'll record 60 Minutes with it. But I liked it right out of the box :)

Though I've played with mine plenty, and even did some beta-testing for El Bandido as he was tweaking TNAP final, I have these images loaded ATM:

NA SatDreamGr final to slot 1
RC beta version of NA-SDGr in slot 2
OpenVix 5.2 to slot 3
OPenpli 7.0 version 20190318 Multiboot slot 4

Though I have plans to eventually flash something else in place of the orignal beta RC TNAP image in slot 2, I just prefer the TNAP final in slot 1, and have been using that exclusively for months. I have it tweaked to my liking, and it's now flawless in recording and the like. I typically record EVERYTHING before watching it, and I LOVE doing that through the WEBIF screen feature using a 2TB WD drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts