OSD on Denon receiver not showing up after last directv update

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sonydude1966

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
My last Directv update for my HR22 was at 2am on 5/22/12. Since then, my Denon AVR-1712 receiver has mostly not shown the OSD (volume bar, onscreen display). This is ONLY on the HR22 input. I have changed the input number, and the problem followed along the input. All other devices work well with the OSD, just the HR22. Every once in a while the OSD will show up. Atleast it did yesterday. Maybe 1 out of 10 times. Today, nothing.

I called Denon, and was told it wasn't a reported problem. The Denon supervisor told me that since it "followed" the input, it was most likely my HR22. He told me to call Directv and report as well. Not sure I wouldn't be wasting my time by doing that. It was also a waste to call Denon, since they just blamed Directv and told me to go to HDMI.com to learn about how the signal is passed.

Anyway, anyone else with a Denon receiver notice this rather annoying problem?

Never. I would reset the HR22 first and if that doesn't work reset the denon (unplug for a couple minutes and then plug back in).

S~

Already did unplug the Denon for 10 minutes and even did a factory reset where I had to re-setup all the receiver settings again. Also did a reset of the HR22 by "restarting" and then tried resetting the HR22 back to the default settings, nada.

If you mean the OSD generated by the Denon, there's really no way this can be the HR20....

If you mean the OSD generated by the Denon, there's really no way this can be the HR20....
Well, that's what I initially thought too. But, when I physically change the input (Sat/Cbl to Game 2 on the back of the receiver), the problem follows the HR22. The Denon supervisor (of the regular first tier reps) said it was the device, not the receiver because it doesn't happen with any other connected device. This makes sense to me currently.

Of course, it's really BOTH, now isn't it. A compatibility between the HR22 HDMI output, and the Denon receiver reading the signal.

If it's not the HR22 and the newest firmware update, then I can't explain the issue following ONLY my HR22. I have a Blu-ray player, DVD player, and Roku devices, that do not have the issue.

my assumption he is talking about the DirecTV GUI passing thru the Denon via HDMI; correct?
Sorry if I wasn't that clear. Actually, it's the Denon OSD appearing on my TV screen while using my HR22 that I'm talking about. The volume bar that the Denon uses is what is not showing up. This is only happening when viewing the HR22.

so then let's go back to TexasBrit's post. how exactly is any external device stopping the A/V unit's on screen ? it's generated internal to the A/V unit and output to the display.

It has something to do with the HDMI signal passing through the HR22.

If it were not an HDMI issue only with the HR22, why would it work on every input but the HR22? And, then when I physcically change inputs, the problem FOLLOWS THE HR22.

This whole problem started happening RIGHT AFTER the last HR22 firmware update. I mean, R-I-G-H-T after. All this seems to indicate to me that this is an HR22 HDMI issue with my specific Denon receiver.

I'm having the same problem with HR21 and Denon 3808

I am having the exact same problem . . . spoke with DIRECTV and they were completely useless. I played around with it a bit myself and found that if I cycle the DVR through its various resolutions, something happens and the OSD works temporarily. However, as soon as I switch over to an SD recording or live SD it's completely screwed up again (either shows up in a weird place on the screen or doesn't show at all). I should be clear . . . the controls on the Denon still work (e.g., volume goes up and down), but it doesn't show on screen via the OSD). There is no question in my mind that it is related to the upgrade that DIRECTV just pushed and the HDMI output from the device to the Denon. It was working fine the night before. Software/firmware upgrade pushed at 2:38 AM and now it is not working. Thank you for your post here because now I know I am not the only one experiencing this problem. Extremely frustrating and really hope someone can find a solution to the problem. I'll repost if I figure anything out.

Thanks for posting that I am not alone. My model Denon (AVR-1712) doesn't have network access, so I would need to take it in to get a firmware update for it. I'm hoping Directv's next update will correct this issue. Whatever this issue is.

BTW, I get the Denon OSD (Volume bar) about 15-20% of the time to appear for no apparent reason. It seems to take a second longer for the picture (video) to show up when the OSD doesn't work. I think it's hit or miss, mostly miss for whatever the HDMI signal is going through with Directv's device.

Hi I just registered just to put in my experience with this problem. I have a Denon 3311 and HR22 DVR and see the exact same behavior of the Denon volume OSD not showing up. (The regular Denon settings menu comes up fine) This worked fine before the update occurred and never had an issue. For me, I've only noticed the OSD not showing up after I've started playback on something from the DVR. (When I hit play, I do see the TV go black for a split second and then playback begins...after this point the OSD seems to not come up anymore) What I've found to "correct" it is to either power the receiver on/off or switch the Denon input to something else and then back to the DVR.

What makes me think there's something goofy with the directv box is that my second TV (no receiver for this setup, but just HDMI direct to the TV) has issues all of a sudden after its software update when I do playback from the DVR on the network. (For this TV, I'll get a scrambled picture as soon as I hit play) The only recovery seems to be to switch inputs on the TV or turn it off/on.

So...now I'm left with two "updated" Directv boxes that are all of a sudden exhibiting odd behaviors upon playback of DVR material. (I've only started trying to duplicate the behavior, but this is just my initial observations)

I have a Denon receiver and I see the volume bar. I have a HR24 Directv receiver.

I've also been experiencing this issue since the 0x5cd update on 5/23. I've got an HR23-700 connected via HDMI to a Denon AVR 2310. OSD works on other inputs (e.g. Apple TV) and when switching inputs, but seems to be intermittent on DTV... which is in an improvement from "not working at all" the last two days.

I just switched inputs to see if OSD was showing up on other inputs and when I returned to DTV it was suddenly working again (of course!). That said, it was also working earlier today before suddenly vanishing. Hope it magically fixed itself!

Are you connected via HDMI?
Did your HR24 update to the latest firmware on 5/22/12?

Thanks.

Yes it is hooked up with the HDMI. I don't know about the update. I will check tonight when I get home.

Same problem here. I called Directv before I saw this thread and they were stumped and sent out a Tech, who basically told me I would have to skip HDMI useage. I told him that wasn't acceptable and could he revert back my DVR back to a previous SW Load, he couldn't. I am having to deal with Directv saying its a Denon issue and Denon saying its a Directv issue, meanwhile, I still can't watch TV in my living room. Anyone with a solution would be a real big help, its been a week now.

So if it IS 100% a DirecTV issue, can someone explain how the other brands, such as my Sony, Onkyo and Yamaha work just fine? Just asking as that is evidence that points a certain direction too me..

charper1 said:
So if it IS 100% a DirecTV issue, can someone explain how the other brands, such as my Sony, Onkyo and Yamaha work just fine? Just asking as that is evidence that points a certain direction too me..

My Sony and yamaha are doing just fine. My in-laws have theirs connected through a onkyo and it's doing just fine too

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)