OTA adaptor

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pete424

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Andover KS
I live in Andover KS and our local ABC affiliate has been off the air for several months. Apparently the local ownership wants more money from Dish. At one time I had a VIP722 DVR that would show OTA channels with an adaptor that I think Dish provided for at little or no cost. I still have my antenna in the crawl space above my garage and with football season right around the corner I thought I might hook it back up to my Hopper3. The price for the little adaptor is crazy. Is there an easier (cheaper) way to hook my antenna up?

I live in Andover KS and our local ABC affiliate has been off the air for several months. Apparently the local ownership wants more money from Dish. At one time I had a VIP722 DVR that would show OTA channels with an adaptor that I think Dish provided for at little or no cost. I still have my antenna in the crawl space above my garage and with football season right around the corner I thought I might hook it back up to my Hopper3. The price for the little adaptor is crazy. Is there an easier (cheaper) way to hook my antenna up?

If the station is "off the air" as you say, then an antenna won't pick it up anyway.

You can connect the antenna directly to the TV. No it won't give you the Hopper functions but if ABC is broadcasting you can watch it. The Hopper OTA adapter is expensive and a very poor performer.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You can install a two way spliter or AB switch in your OTA coax and run one coax direct to your TV and the other to your DISH OTA adapter. You can use your DVR for all the OTA channels except ABC. Watch ABC direct from your TV.

You can install a two way spliter or AB switch in your OTA coax and run one coax direct to your TV and the other to your DISH OTA adapter. You can use your DVR for all the OTA channels except ABC. Watch ABC direct from your TV.

Huh? He doesn't have an OTA adapter. That was his question, how to do it without buying one of those expensive adapter.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am guessing you assumed that he wouldn't have guide information for the OTA ABC through the Hopper. In more of these cases lately, Dish continues to provide the OTA guide information during a dispute. I am looking at my guide right now, and the guide info is still there for the OTA Univision station, even though the satellite channel still has the dispute message on it. Even without guide information, the OP could still set manual timers to record ABC on the Hopper, but as already pointed out, it would still require the adapter.

Can't you just plug your old antennae directly in to your TV? Sort of like you hooked up a video game system or a DVD player or something.

In theory, your TV should be able to receive dish and also receive anything else (your antennae, your video game, your DVD player). You just have to switch inputs on your screen via your TV remote. Much like you'd switch to your DVD player as an input, dish as an input, or even an old camcorder as an input. Yes?

I think Wally connects via HDMI and your antennae connects via Coax, so your TV should be able to do both at once.

Keep in mind, ABC still won't show up on your hopper. But, IMO it is a small inconvenience to just hit an extra button or two on your TV remote to switch over to ABC especially if you know (when) in advance you'd like to see something on ABC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)