OTA antenna in attic??

planestress

Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
I just got Dish network hooked up on my HDTV last week. I would like to get the OTA digital locals. I was able to use rabbit ears on a conventional tv in the bedroom adjacent to the attic and get great reception on the UHF analog channels. I didn't get anything for the VHF channels. Since the digital channels are also UHF, should I be able to get them with a good antenna in the attic? I asked the Dish guy and he said not necessarily. My zip is 67002, I'm between 20 and 40 miles from my local stations based on antennaweb.org.

Thanks

A broadcaster will generally place their digital antenna on the same tower as their analog one. At 20 to 40 miles, you should not have a problem receiving your digital signal from your attic, provided that your broadcaster is transmitting the digital signal at close to full power.

You need to verify that ALL of the digital signals are UHF (or channels higher than 6 on the VHF band). If so, I would recommend a UHF only antenna. The Channel Master 4 or 8 bay antenna is a popular choice, but highly directional. Provided your broadcasters are all in one general direction, you should not need an antenna rotor, but if they are different directions, a rotor is necessary, due to the directional nature of the antenna.

My advice is to hire someone local who has antenna experience, unless you feel comfortable with messing with it.

Al

Thanks for the quick reply. the stations are all UHF between 281 and 306 degrees. is that considered close enough to be the same direction? The only thing I've heard regarding power is the ABC station is only broadcasting at half power so it may not be available.
thanks again

I looked up your available digital channels at antennaweb.org. 3 of them should be easy to get from your attic with a medium directional antenna w/o a pre-amp. The 4th, ABC, is going to be a bear from your attic.

Since the channels are all higher UHF numbers, you may do well with a good Yagi style antenna from CM or Winegard. Try it first w/o a pre-amp. If you still can't get ABC, try a CM 7775 pre-amp and see if that works. The rule-of-thumb is that you lose about half of your available signal with an antenna in the attic, so up the antennaweb.org recommendations by one or two increments to select the right level of antenna.

Your channel azimuth grouping is pretty tight. Spread is usually not a problem under 30 degrees with a bay/bowtie antenna or 45 degrees with a Yagi, YMMV. Aim the antenna at your weakest channel and adjust from there.

A final note, many forum folks are very high on the CM4228 8-bay antenna; however, you should be aware of its large size (as delivered) and heavy weight. For an attic installation, getting one through the typical attic hatch my be very difficult, if not impossible. Also, depending on where you suspend it in the attic, the weight could have structural weakening implications. Fore warned is fore armed!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts