OTA Antenna Install from Dish and/or Sling?

netsweeper

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Moline, IL
Recently I've been looking into getting an OTA antenna installed to save the $10 on locals each month. I initially called into the "cord cutter hotline" that Sling operates and got all the way to ordering the antenna/service and then they asked if I had any cable/satellite service currently. I mentioned to them, that yes I do have Dish and they said they could not process the order and to call Dish and they would do it for free for me.

I called into Dish and the CSR, said it would be a fee (ok) but tried to talk me out of doing it saying I could get it cheaper at Walmart, BestBuy, etc. I explained to her I was not able to physically do the work myself and she agreed to process the order. I again get all the way to ordering it (including paying for it like I was willing to do before) and then she says they can't do it because they have no guarantee of signal in my area. I live in a major metro area, so I seriously doubt signal will be an issue, but again she says she can't proceed.

So if Sling won't do it because I'm a Dish customer and Dish won't do it because they say they can't guarantee the signal, how am I able to proceed? Anyone else have a similar issue? I would say I'd use Amazon, but I think the cost was quite a bit more than what Dish/Sling is doing these for.

I just did a search in your area and there's a antenna installer in Davenport area if that's close to you..

I just did a search in your area and there's a antenna installer in Davenport area if that's close to you..

That’s the location of one of my two accounts. The area I’m looking for is in Jacksonville, FL. Where were you doing the search from?

I just googled Tv antenna installer near Davenport Illinois ..I knew that's close to you from your profile location.. couple of them are...Done right TV and Security Systems,Jenson Brothers is also listed in Davenport.. I would call Dish back and try again.Sounds like you got a bad CSR Rep.. There should be no problem getting reception in your area

Unfortunately as I mentioned that’s not the location I’m looking for. I wanted to use the Sling/Dish service because they had some very good reviews on multiple sites, the antenna was good quality (I can’t attest to that or not), and the cost was about $140 for an outside antenna, installed with the cable to a room of your choice.

Okay I missed that..If you have a dish account in Jacksonville then there should be no problem with dish installing the antenna..The CSR must have been confused..

you can use this website to see what you'll pick up OTA. as far as dish goes i wouldn't even bother with em. ide just us an antenna installer as it will be less painless that way

you can use this website to see what you'll pick up OTA. as far as dish goes i wouldn't even bother with em. ide just us an antenna installer as it will be less painless that way
The problem with Antennaweb is the database does not calculate signal prediction for different antenna heights. rabbitears.info is better.

I have done several OTA installs for Dish and we use really high quality antennas. If for whatever reason we are unable to get the channels you want we can easily cancel the work order without charging you. Personally I would recommend having it installed through Dish because you will have a professional install (antenna in best location possible, cable ran neatly, antenna will be replaced if there’s any issues)

I have done several OTA installs for Dish and we use really high quality antennas. If for whatever reason we are unable to get the channels you want we can easily cancel the work order without charging you. Personally I would recommend having it installed through Dish because you will have a professional install (antenna in best location possible, cable ran neatly, antenna will be replaced if there’s any issues)
Read the original post. He tried going thru DISH. Dish wont do it.

I have never heard of Dish not installing just because they can’t guarantee signal. That would be like not doing a typical install just because we can’t guarantee line of sight. I would make sure you are really speaking to Dish Network and not a retailer

Dish installed my OTA free last year. One of my family members that live 6 miles from me denied a OTA install. Says the signal wasn't good there.

I have never heard of Dish not installing just because they can’t guarantee signal. That would be like not doing a typical install just because we can’t guarantee line of sight. I would make sure you are really speaking to Dish Network and not a retailer

They have a better chance of getting a correct answer about OTA reception from a LOCAL retailer than from a Dish CSR. National retailers are a different story.

It's a totally different situation in getting a LOS for a dish than a signal for an OTA antenna. The variables are completely different.

I certainly hope that no tech would do a Dish install if he couldn't guarantee the LOS and good service.

Last edited:
Dish installed my OTA free last year. One of my family members that live 6 miles from me denied a OTA install. Says the signal wasn't good there.
Same here. Upgraded to the H3 and added OTA last fall.

Tech did a great job with the OTA, able to get a key local that's in the opposite direction of the others.....

i guarantee you it was Dish that said no The second time. Same number as I call for normal service/support. I’m going to try again this week. Not sure why neither one would do it. I live within a major metropolitan area and I wouldn’t even hold them to getting certain channels.

I have done several OTA installs for Dish and we use really high quality antennas. If for whatever reason we are unable to get the channels you want we can easily cancel the work order without charging you. Personally I would recommend having it installed through Dish because you will have a professional install (antenna in best location possible, cable ran neatly, antenna will be replaced if there’s any issues)I was going to do this last July, and it would have been free, and the Dish Installer talked me out of installing. I am regretting that decision, because my local ABC Station is out, due to a conflict with Dish. Now, when I asked if I could do another install of the OTA, and if it is still a free offer, Dish said that I do not qualify for it. I have no issues with buying one, but I want it done the right way, if I do decide to do it, and who knows what conflicts Dish will get into with my other Local Channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts