OTA Created Timers Will Not Play

Maybe PTAT has something to do with it. My timers did not fail to record or at least they were in my Recordings folder. But CBS and FOX recordings there was no way to play them. There was no play button when the recording was selected. Also pressing the play button on the remote control did not work too. I will post my test tomorrow.

Was wondering the same about PTAT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
I cant add much except to say I've noticed this same anomaly from time to time myself. It's not consistent but it started when I switched to the OTA adapter. I've just recently started with the adapter and shrugged it off because I don't record much from it but the same thing has happened. My signal is also 100% on every channel. ‍♂️

My test of the two manual timers finished and I know what the problem is. Both the Fox 6-03 program and the CBS 10-01 manual timers recorded. The Fox 6-03 program which does not have any guide information acted normally where after selecting it you have the watch or delete boxes.
But the CBS 10-01 program which has guide information is missing the play and delete buttons. This is because PTAT has the same show. So if the show that you have set a manual timer for matches the same show in PTAT you will not have the play and delete buttons on the manual recording.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

My test of the two manual timers finished and I know what the problem is. Both the Fox 6-03 program and the CBS 10-01 manual timers recorded. The Fox 6-03 program which does not have any guide information acted normally where after selecting it you have the watch or delete boxes.
But the CBS 10-01 program which has guide information is missing the play and delete buttons. This is because PTAT has the same show. So if the show that you have set a manual timer for matches the same show in PTAT you will not have the play and delete buttons on the manual recording.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
That is incorrect in my world. I've been test recording OTA about 10 shows over the big 4 that are on PTAT, and have always been able to play. I've been doing it to see if dumping sat OTAs will work for us.

Last edited:
That is incorrect in my world. I've been test recording OTA about 10 shows over the big 4 that are on PTAT, and have always been able to play. I've been doing it to see if dumping sat OTAs will work for us.

But did you create the timers as manual timers or did you create the timers from the Guide? Manual timers are created independent of the Guidewhere you specify the start time, end time, and channel number under timer options.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

But did you create the timers as manual timers or did you create the timers from the Guide? Manual timers are created independent of the Guidewhere you specify the start time, end time, and channel number under timer options.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!
Both, but mostly from guide.

Performed a manual timer test for my two Hopper 3s. Did a blend of local and Sat channels. All the timer recordings showed up in my Recordings folder. Total of 7 recordings had no watch button when the recording was selected. However, 3 of them I was able to hit the Play button on the remote control and they then would play. As you can tell the issue is with the local channels, both OTA and Sat and not all PTAT. The issue is intermittent. Go figure. Let me know if you want any more test done. Wife is teaching school by Zoom so both Hopper 3s can be tested all day.

Attachments

• Manual Timer Test.pdf
    375.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Performed a manual timer test for my two Hopper 3s. Did a blend of local and Sat channels. All the timer recordings showed up in my Recordings folder. Total of 7 recordings had no watch button when the recording was selected. However, 3 of them I was able to hit the Play button on the remote control and they then would play. As you can tell the issue is with the local channels, both OTA and Sat and not all PTAT. The issue is intermittent. Go figure. Let me know if you want any more test done. Wife is teaching school by Zoom so both Hopper 3s can be tested all day.
Are they the CBS and Fox that will not play or others also? Since it is both Sat and OTA if it is only CBS and FOX still that are having the problems it makes it sound like an encoding problem from them although I others are seeing it too. I would say it is something wrong with the delay they put in to be able to HOP channels or something?

Do you have an EHD? Move one of them you can't play to it, try it from there.

Are they the CBS and Fox that will not play or others also? Since it is both Sat and OTA if it is only CBS and FOX still that are having the problems it makes it sound like an encoding problem from them although I others are seeing it too. I would say it is something wrong with the delay they put in to be able to HOP channels or something?

If you look at my spreadsheet there is a PBS and a CW channel that had the issues too. I have an EHD connected to both Hopper 3s but I have already deleted the recordings. I will do some more test and the programs that are acting up I will move to the EHD to see how goes it.

Reactions: Tampa8
If you look at my spreadsheet there is a PBS and a CW channel that had the issues too. I have an EHD connected to both Hopper 3s but I have already deleted the recordings. I will do some more test and the programs that are acting up I will move to the EHD to see how goes it.
I couldn't open the spreadsheet - my browser problem not your post....

Attachments

• Manual Timer Test.jpg
    Manual Timer Test.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 91
Tampa8 I transferred the four defective manual timer recordings from my Greatroom's Hopper 3 Trash folder back to the Recordings folder. Then tried to xfer them to my EHD. Two of them would not xfer and two xfered. The two that xfered to my EHD still would not play.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I'm not finding anything that jumps out to me - like are they CBS owned as common thread etc...
Tampa8 I transferred the four defective manual timer recordings from my Greatroom's Hopper 3 Trash folder back to the Recordings folder. Then tried to xfer them to my EHD. Two of them would not xfer and two xfered. The two that xfered to my EHD still would not play.

There is a clue when some won't transfer. I would normally say you having hard drive issues that is affecting the recordings, even though not all are affected that can easily happen with bad sectors and it depends where the recordings take place on the drive.

But a couple others have said they too have the problem, but I don't see an avalanche of people saying so. That tells me it is most likely and encoding problem that affects locals from some sources.
Take the CBS for instance - you have a problem both OTA and Satellite - I wonder if DISH gets that signal OTA for the Satellite CBS and that's why both are not playing back.
Just throwing out ideas - were any of the channels you are now having a problem with in dispute relatively recently and then restored?

Did they recently do something like some did here - turn on the new ATSC 3.0? Yes they are still broadcasting with the old standard of course nearly no one can receive the 3.0 yet. BUT - when they turned it on here for some of the channels one of those channels went to their own actual frequency separate from it's subchannel actual channel- When they did that, to this day the sub channel (Me TV) at night breaks up a little now and then even with a very strong signal. And now it has the wrong OTA guide for ME TV. It does record and play back however, they all do.

I don't think it is a software issue doesn't seem like anywhere near enough people are complaining about it and it seems to be on both Hopper and a VIP I believe someone reported.

I'm not finding anything that jumps out to me - like are they CBS owned as common thread etc...

There is a clue when some won't transfer. I would normally say you having hard drive issues that is affecting the recordings, even though not all are affected that can easily happen with bad sectors and it depends where the recordings take place on the drive.

But a couple others have said they too have the problem, but I don't see an avalanche of people saying so. That tells me it is most likely and encoding problem that affects locals from some sources.
Take the CBS for instance - you have a problem both OTA and Satellite - I wonder if DISH gets that signal OTA for the Satellite CBS and that's why both are not playing back.
Just throwing out ideas - were any of the channels you are now having a problem with in dispute relatively recently and then restored?

Did they recently do something like some did here - turn on the new ATSC 3.0? Yes they are still broadcasting with the old standard of course nearly no one can receive the 3.0 yet. BUT - when they turned it on here for some of the channels one of those channels went to their own actual frequency separate from it's subchannel actual channel- When they did that, to this day the sub channel (Me TV) at night breaks up a little now and then even with a very strong signal. And now it has the wrong OTA guide for ME TV. It does record and play back however, they all do.

I don't think it is a software issue doesn't seem like anywhere near enough people are complaining about it and it seems to be on both Hopper and a VIP I believe someone reported.
Thanks for your thoughts Tampa8. No local channels in recent dispute and don't think any recent ATSC 3.0 were turned on. I hardly ever create a manual timer but next time will keep a closer eye on it and create the identical manual timer on my other Hopper 3 as a backup. For the local manual timers I will create a local Sat timer on one H3 and OTA timer on my other H3. Thanks again.

Reactions: Tampa8
Just to add another data point to this discussion...

I have a manual timer set to record 7 hours of Science (or maybe History) channel. I've been (mostly) unable to play them since at least December! The only way I can play them is by using the red button to get the menu, and selecting autostart for the recording (which is fun when I've watched about 5 of the 7 hours already!).

Dish claimed to have fixed this issue in the January release, but not for me! Spent a few hours with Tech Support and got nowhere (other than usual escalation message).

If anyone has ideas, I'm listening!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts