OTA EPG Info Incorrect or Displaying 'Digital Service'

I obviously don't know this for a fact, but it's pretty certain.... For the -1 channels, they simply DUPLICATE the guide data from the satellite-carried channel. Reason I say this is during a contract dispute earlier this year, when Dish changed the guide data for the satellite channel to their propaganda line, it was also shown on the -1 channel's guide data.

The problem is they don't in a few cases. Neutron's example (19-1) is a good one where Dish carries the local (CBS19) but the OTA has no guide
Two of my locals the issue is Dish carries them on the locals but because the OTA isn't a -1 there is no guide info. We have a 2nd PBS (think PBS Create but local programs mixed in). Its carried on Dish on 17 (which is their old analog number). Digital OTA they are on 2-3 (2-1 being the main PBS, 2-2 being the Minnesota Channel where they show programs from different PBS stations in MN, WI, ND & SD) and 2-1 & 2-2 they have guide info (2-2 isnt carried on Dish)
2nd one is KSTC 45. They are on 45 on Dish. Recently (2 months ago) the ABC (5) that owns both decided to consolidate them. So 5-1 is ABC (guide info), 5-3 is MeTV, 5-4 is This (no guide for either) and KSTC 45 is now 5-45. No guide info and I've submitted it to Zack and Mary to forward on. Also e-mailed Dish Quality to no avail

Interesting...... I just checked and for Ch 2-01 CBS it's now showing KMYU, but for Ch 4-01 ABC it's showing the correct call sign of KTVX. I'd swear that it used to show KUTV for 2-01, but regardless I've never seen anything but 'Digital Service' for 2-01, but I'd also swear that I used to get guide info for 4-01. So does that mean that the only way I'll ever get 2-01 guide info is if they change the St. George translator to digital?

I'm confused on the channel 2 thing. Checking rabbitears.info I show the following for St George
KMYU on RF9 mapping to 2
K49AS-D in Santa Clara also mapping to 2

Here is the site
RabbitEars.Info
If you scroll down to market 28 (SLC) there is a subsection of St George (and many other Utah communities)

I have a feeling because its not the "main" SLC version of 2 you wont get guide info

Our Local KSCW station 033-1 has always had the correct guide info until a few weeks ago. At that time a new channel 031-1 was added, a local Univision channel. Ever since then the CW channel has had the Univision guide info. Really screws up my timers for Supernatural and Smallville. Emailed Dish and I got the standard reboot recommendations, when that didn't work they had me send all my receiver info to them and they said they would forward it to the techs, no fix yet.:(
From 3-10-2011.

Still no fix for this. Friggin unbelievable!!!!

I can understand DISH not wanting to fix the guide info for the subchannels....
I understand, too. They're being dicks.

They provide the means to view and record OTA signals on their DVR's. Yet, we cannot use them to set recordings for many OTA channels via the EPG. This is because they do not wish to expend the effort or the small cost, if any, for the data for these OTA channels.

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if they view these new OTA sub-channels as competition for their paid channels. In my area, a good portion of the sub-channels are foreign language, which is a big part of Dish revenue. There are also quite a few of these "retro" channels, which people might turn to for entertainment during these tough economic times.

Of course, I do not know the exact cost, as I imagine nobody here does. However, considering how b2b things like this work, they probably pay a flat fee per week/month/year, which most likely includes all the programming data Tribune has to offer.

But, if there is a per-channel charge, it is most likely pretty minimal. Otherwise, Dish would drop all OTA EPG listings, other than the OTA versions of what they carry on their sats, in order to save money.

The fact that they carry many, but refuse to add any more, pretty much tells me it's more a matter of avoiding the work involved than the possible cost.

and the ones they carry that are wrong I wish they'd fix

When you have 2 stations that Dish carries in locals but yet cant get it mapped to OTA right...well thats just sad (considering one is HD and Dish doesnt carry it in HD)

It may be more of a data size issue. I don't know how all this works, but the Dish receivers only have a finite amount of memory. They may have reached the limit in the amount of data they can safely spool to the receivers and still have space for other commands. Not everyone has a dvr where the guide data can be stored on the hard drive.

and the ones they carry that are wrong I wish they'd fix

When you have 2 stations that Dish carries in locals but yet cant get it mapped to OTA right...well thats just sad (considering one is HD and Dish doesnt carry it in HD)

Which is the case in my situation. I would love to be able to record our CBS shows in HD but we can't unless I set manual timers for the OTA station.

Here in the Indianapolis area, WTHR lost Universal sports network. They replaced it with ME tv 13.3. Yesterday I did a rescan for local channels on the 722K. Today the correct guide was there this morning! If it only takes 4 days to correct the guide, why can't Dish correct the other errors I posted in this thread almost a year ago? The only one that matters to me is WXIN's subchannel 59.2 Antenna Tv. Manual timers are a bummer. Come on Dish, get with it!

Last edited:
I think in this case, since the TSID wouldn't have changed, once the station told Tribune about the new data/change, it was passed on to Dish, who feeds it into their system.

For my locals, two of them added sub-channels. Dish may be receiving the data from Tribune but there's no "slot" for it to go into because it's new. Does that make sense ?

Not at all, Zap2it (Tribune) has listed the correct info for WXIN/ 59.2 Antenna tv for over a year now, but DIRT (Dish) has made no attempt at fixing the problem. IMO, this thread should be closed for lack of results.

WXIN added 59.2 Antenna tv on 1-1-2011. I reported the "Digital Service" in post #11. DIRT has done nothing to correct anything reported in post #11, but Tribune seems to know what is on these channels.

Yep, confirmed by DIRT that my issue was reported but they don't get any updates from the engineers on if/when it will be fixed. I guess manual timers I go. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)