OTA EPG Info Incorrect or Displaying 'Digital Service'

How about fixing 19-1 for Tyler then? You guys provide the SD local (really wish it was HD but oh well) for us. KYTX-19 (CBS Affiliate in Tyler/Longview).

In some markets guide information was added for some sub channels previously, however going forward sub channel guide information is no longer being added.

What I predicted. Not blaming anyone on DIRT, but this is a dumb move on Dish's part. Especially when there are nationally distributed subchannels that have grandfathered guide data in other markets.

I'm not sure why it happened, but one of our local stations had a main channel, and two sub-channels that could not be properly linked with the guide data.

This fact was indeed confirmed by the station that was working with Dish technical.

The real channels were 43-1, 43-2 and 43-3 but they were mapped as 14-1, 22-1 and 48-1 by the station.

As I understood the problem, the mixture of the real channel numbers ending with 1, 2, and 3 and the virtual channel numbers all ending with 1 made the guide data for real channel 43-1 show up as the guide data for all three virtual channels.

The station resolved this problem by placing the XX-1 channels on seperate real channels which were available since this particular station has at least 4 real channel frequencies available to be used - they have weather channels, and several shopping channels that have been re-arranged and now everything works.

This is different from the problems that others have been voicing, but it is part of the conundrum facing stations and secondary retransmitters face trying to unravel the virtual channel mess created by the FCC.

I think they did not forsee the creative ways that this very flexible channel numbering system might be applied.

I have a question for people in areas where FOX, ABC or even CBS is a subchannel of another station. Is that sub channel mapped as a XX.1 channel or is it given a XX.2 channel?

I have a question for people in areas where FOX, ABC or even CBS is a subchannel of another station. Is that sub channel mapped as a XX.1 channel or is it given a XX.2 channel?

there is a market 70 miles down the road from me that is a CBS main/Fox subchannel (it was a one station market until 07) and the Fox is labelled 12-2 (KEYC-DT2) as it should
2nd pic in this thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...correct-displaying-digital-8.html#post2723801
attachment.php

Here is what I gathered from another site that shows all the OTA guide info Dish should carry--This is from Iceberg's post # 224 in this thread.
This is where I obtained the info that I submitted to dishquality and to the station managers the times I sent it to them. I happened to come
across this info earlier this year.

And still nothing new.

In response to Jim5506's query- My area has a FOX affiliate station that is a sub of our ABC station and the FOX channel is mapped as xx.2 and the ABC channel is xx.1. Both of these have the correct data showing what is on and when.

And TiVo, who gets the guide data from Tribune like Dish does, has had guide data and correct guide data for all by a few, but those don't seem to offer any data at all. So, about 99% of the channels have accurate guide data showing in the TiVo's. So, the question is, why can't Dish provide the same data? Could it be way to massive a file to download with all that multiplex guide data? I don't believe the Dish boxes use the PSIP for anything but Station ID.

I sent in the info as requested above in this topic by Dish (a couple of weeks ago) and basically got back a stock answer that Dish can't provide guide data for all stations. Subsequent inquiries by me are no longer being answered. So the station says they are sending it and to contact Dish. So I contact Dish who won't look into it after saying they would.

Maybe Dish doesn't have a responsibility for OTA guide data, but it sure seems like a bone headed move for a satellite company which could provide a service the local cable guys won't or can't provide. i.e. great DVR guide service on sub-channels.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for DISH to fix the guide info for the OTA version of our CBS station as noted above.

I can understand DISH not wanting to fix the guide info for the subchannels, but I really don't see why it takes so long to resolve a guide issue for a channel they already provide with my locals any way. This screams a configuration issue on their end....

Reactions: pattykay
and what doesnt make sense Neutron is the local you have issues with (and one of the locals I have issues with) Dish looks like its right
19-01 KYTX TSID 0x0B65, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 8881)

so in your case they are just using the guide info from channel 8881 which is correct
19-00 KYTX NACOGDOCHES, TX (CBS) - 8881

same as mine
2-03 KTCI TSID 0x0645, Subchannel 03 (DISH Channel 8580)
and the local
17-00 KTCI ST. PAUL, MN (PBS) - 8580
although now that I think about it that channel is not subchannel 03, its the only channel on the RF station (so in essence subchannel 01)

The other 2 I have issues with are due to the station changing what PSIP it is on OTA
from 45-01 to 5-45
from 5-02 to 45-5

I came across something very interesting. I just activated a new 211k yesterday that has a built in OTA tuner, and the subchannels for Chicago have the guide data populated. There are 2 or 3 subchannels that say digital channel, but most are filled in. However, I walk to my VIP222k, which I bought an OTA Module for, and that one still does not have any guide data in it - only the main channels that are xxx-01 have guide data. So it appears to be specifically a hardware issue. Has anyone else who have multiple receivers seen this - where the guide data works on the 211k but not on a 222k with the OTA module? (or maybe the other model as well where you have to buy the OTA module separately)

I've lived with the lack of guide data for a couple of OTA channels in the Salt Lake City DMA for years now, both just say 'Digital Service', and frankly I'm really feed up with the uslessness of a guide for those channels. In particular I'm missing 2-01 (CBS in SLC) & 4-01 (ABC in SLC), both of which I receive the primary channel (XXX-00) from D*.

I was sorry to see that so many are having similar guide problems as it leads me to believe that there is no fix in the near future. I was looking at the locals list 'uplink.jameslong.name/locallist.html', and I was wondering if I was interpreting it correctly. For Salt Lake City it shows these stations as available for the XXX-00 channel and that there is OTA guide data for the XXX-01 channels. Does that mean I should be seeing the guide data? This is my second 722 and I've been through numerous reboots over the years, as well as setups of the OTA channels, and I still see the same results.

Am I missing something?

welcome :wave

yes you read it correctly and those 2 stations should have guide info.....well I have to ask this
Do you get the stations OTA from SLC transmitters or a different location (like a translator). I dont know if this means much but I've seen areas where translator stations (usually owned by co-ops) are going digital. They log as the "known" station (2,4,11, etc) but no guide info because of some glitch. My uncle has that issue. He gets Minneapolis locals on satellite but can also get them OTA from some translators near his house (about 140 miles from Minneapolis).

I know the SLC nets have a HUGE translator system for most of the stations

Thanks for the welcome.

You're right about all of the translators throughout the state. I'm almost as close to LA as I am to SLC, so we definitely get the signal via translator. I guess that pretty much means I'm outta luck as far as the guide goes.

Well it is possible you are just having the same issues as others here have (including me) where the main (-1) stations do not have guide info and they should. I don't know how they figure out the OTA guide info. But honestly as long as the station shows the right call sign and the right channel number it should show guide info

I feel it shouldnt matter if you get your channel 2 (CBS) from the SLC station (RF34) or a translator in say Cedar City. As long as the call sign and channel are correct it **should** show OTA info.

In the OTA guide what does it show for the call sign for channel 2? Does it show "KUTV" or something else?

Well it is possible you are just having the same issues as others here have (including me) where the main (-1) stations do not have guide info and they should. I don't know how they figure out the OTA guide info.
I obviously don't know this for a fact, but it's pretty certain.... For the -1 channels, they simply DUPLICATE the guide data from the satellite-carried channel. Reason I say this is during a contract dispute earlier this year, when Dish changed the guide data for the satellite channel to their propaganda line, it was also shown on the -1 channel's guide data.

Interesting...... I just checked and for Ch 2-01 CBS it's now showing KMYU, but for Ch 4-01 ABC it's showing the correct call sign of KTVX. I'd swear that it used to show KUTV for 2-01, but regardless I've never seen anything but 'Digital Service' for 2-01, but I'd also swear that I used to get guide info for 4-01. So does that mean that the only way I'll ever get 2-01 guide info is if they change the St. George translator to digital?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)