OTA Module Died

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

xyz38

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
Eastern NC
Has anyone had a Air TV module to stop working.
Last night at about 3:45 we had a thunder storm and and the power went out because my clocks were blinking when I got up this morning.
When I turned the TV on it would not get any local channels through the Hopper but locals were OK on the TV antenna input. Reset Hopper, still no signal, unplugged Hopper to reset, no signal.
I unplugged the ota module from the Hopper and reset Hopper, still no local channels.
I replaced the AirTV module with the one that Dish supplied when they installed the ota antenna and it works fine, but will probably get too hot and mess up like before.
Nothing else was damaged by the storm or power outage. Will probably order another AirTV module.
I tried the AirTV module again after the Dish module just to be sure that it is a bad module and it still did not work.

I had an Airtv module die after about 3 months. They replaced it under warranty and sent me the Dish version. Go figure.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t say this was a failure of an AirTV, but a near hit from lightning probably induced a voltage spike that entered your antenna system. Unless you have insurance that covers lightning damage and no deductible, I’m afraid you’re going to be buying a replacement AirTV.

My Dish module is working just as good now as the AirTV module was before it died. Works better than it did when I first got it almost two years ago.

Reactions: TheKrell
I had one of the early 2-channel OTA adapters (Haupage?) that was famous for overheating to the point you could fry an egg on it. It started misbehaving by dropping the signal. It eventually got bad enough that I started looking online for a replacement. I thought I bought it and I did but it turns out that it was indirectly from Dish - they were willing to reimburse me for my purchase from Amazon so I argued it was a Dish purchase. After getting to a second-level supervisor (we have had dish for over 20 years in Colorado and now Vegas) the supervisor agreed that they had collectively spent more time and money arguing with me over a replacement than just replacing it so they did. The new one (AirTV?) is much cooler and so far the Hopper tracks the local channels much better. It also seems to be less sensitive to antenna alignment. I like the device. We didn't give up local channels but instead use the dongle to access the "dot subchannels", most of which are not carried by Dish.

I haven't had one quit working, but I have had issues with both of the dual tuner versions (air tv & dish).
After watching a local channel for a period of time (sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes longer) the acquiring signal box appears on the screen.
I have switched between the dish version & the air tv version with the same results. I never had this issue with the old single tuner version.
I never had the problem with the 722 or 722K either. I have always had this issue with the HWS & the dual tuner ota module. The pop up box
shows the signal strength as 100%, but still the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds before it is back to normal

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I haven't had one quit working, but I have had issues with both of the dual tuner versions (air tv & dish).
After watching a local channel for a period of time (sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes longer) the acquiring signal box appears on the screen.
I have switched between the dish version & the air tv version with the same results. I never had this issue with the old single tuner version.
I never had the problem with the 722 or 722K either. I have always had this issue with the HWS & the dual tuner ota module. The pop up box
shows the signal strength as 100%, but still the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds before it is back to normal
One of the things I observed about the OTA module is that the antenna "sensitivity" isn't all that great. I have great local reception (line of site to tower cluster in Vegas is about 6 miles). I got frustrated once with Dish's system and as part of the troubleshooting I placed a splitter in the path and ran the other directly to the TV (Samsung 48" about 6 years old). On a scan the TV found more channels than the Dish receiver did. Some of these channels are marginal and a few were so bad that the TV knew something was there but couldn't lock to the picture whereas the OTA receiver skipped it altogether. Some of the other channels the TV found just fine and gives a 85% metric to. The dish OTA didn't detect it at all. When I do this I then rotate the antenna 45* at a time until I get the best coverage.

One of the things I observed about the OTA module is that the antenna "sensitivity" isn't all that great. I have great local reception (line of site to tower cluster in Vegas is about 6 miles). I got frustrated once with Dish's system and as part of the troubleshooting I placed a splitter in the path and ran the other directly to the TV (Samsung 48" about 6 years old). On a scan the TV found more channels than the Dish receiver did. Some of these channels are marginal and a few were so bad that the TV knew something was there but couldn't lock to the picture whereas the OTA receiver skipped it altogether. Some of the other channels the TV found just fine and gives a 85% metric to. The dish OTA didn't detect it at all. When I do this I then rotate the antenna 45* at a time until I get the best coverage.

I have that same type of setup. I have my ota signal split to several different tv's. None of them have any difficulty displaying any of the local channels.
While both of my HWS have some type of issue. I have 1 sub channel that plays fine when watched via the tv tuner, but when trying to watch with the HWS & either ota module,
I receive the picture & even the closed caption, but no sound.

I thought that some time ago, everyone was praising the AirTv module as a fix for the Dish module. My problem never quite went away with the AirTv and it seems that from the above post that not all problems were solved with it.

I have that same type of setup. I have my ota signal split to several different tv's. None of them have any difficulty displaying any of the local channels.
While both of my HWS have some type of issue. I have 1 sub channel that plays fine when watched via the tv tuner, but when trying to watch with the HWS & either ota module,
I receive the picture & even the closed caption, but no sound.
That is not just an OTA module problem. I had the exact same thing happen to one of my local subchannels once, on a ViP211k which has a built-in OTA tuner. It seems to be something about the way the Dish receiver's software processes the signal from the station. After awhile (several days maybe) the problem fixed itself without any changes on my end. This was back when Dish was still doing more frequent software updates for the ViP receivers, so I am guessing that is what fixed it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts