OTA Program Guide on Dish Receiver

Well now..

WVIA from Scranton, PA is now totally fixed!

WRNN Kingston is somewhat fixed. 48.2 is now correct. 48.3 still lists some kind of Asian programming but the screen is always black. There is just nothing there. Also, the channel 48's 1 & 2 show up as WRNN. 48.3 says FUN? I am not sure what that is so I did a search on the web. I found something called Fun Channel America but that doesn't seem to be it.

Can anyone else who gets WRNN tell me what they see?

Thanks Tribune People for working to get this right! :)

Edit: I just found something about WVIA in an uplink report. http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-uplink-center/187988-9-17-2009-3-49pm-uplink-activity-report-7-changes.html. Strange it says N/A when I know I am looking at it.

Last edited:
Same issue...I have locals and OTA in the guide, and most of the channels just show "Digital Service", even though the Dish equivalent is correct. Some of the OTA channels don't have a Dish equivalent, like "9.3 - PBS Create" but there are others that just don't map.

On a separate note, the Dish Remote Access listings are even more messed up, with all the major networks showing up on other major networks' guide. I guess I won't worry about that yet...

I'm in Bozeman, MT, and all of the listings are correct at ZAP2it. Who should I contact to get this resolved?

Thanks...

Again, show the call letters, where the channel comes from (not where you are) and the issues in detail.

The online guide for WVIA now looks good too but I didn't notice if there was a problem with that earlier.

Again, show the call letters, where the channel comes from (not where you are) and the issues in detail.

The online guide for WVIA now looks good too but I didn't notice if there was a problem with that earlier.

Here is a rundown of missing info (for Bozeman, MT which uses Butte/Bozeman locals from Dish Network):

007-01 KBZK "Digital Service" should be the Dish 004-00 KXLF (CBS) listings
009-03 KUSM "Digital Service" should be PBS Create, no Dish equivalent
009-04 KUSM "Digital Service" should be PBS Montana Legislature, no Dish equivalent
028-01 KWYB "Digital Service" should be 018-00 KWYB (ABC) listings
028-02 KWYB "Digital Service" should be 024-00 KWYBD (Fox) listings

Now, the correct ones:
006-01 KTVM "NBC" is correct
007-02 KBZK "CW" shows listings correctly, even though there is no Dish equivalent
009-01 KUSM "PBS HD" is correct
009-02 KUSM "PBS" shows listings correctly, even though there is no Dish equivalent

I just noticed a pattern as I wrote those out...The ones that aren't mapped are stations from Butte on Dish Network (004-00, 018-00, 024-00). The Bozeman stations (where I am) are usually the same transmission on a different channel, but maybe not always.

Thanks for all your help; I hope that made sense.

Also in regards to PSIP, by design, it only seems to offer a few days worth of information. How much memory do simple set-tops have to store this data ? I think the FCC recommends (but do they enforce ?) that stations provide 'x' days worth. It's (PSIP) intention may have been more along the lines of "what's on now" as well as maybe "what's on in the next few hours".

The FCC requires 12 hours for full power stations, I think the spec supports up to 14 days and the most I've ever seen is 3 days from the ION station.

Yes616 said:
Edit: I just found something about WVIA in an uplink report. ... Strange it says N/A when I know I am looking at it.
14320 - WVIA1 - E*7 119° Tp 1s13 renamed to WVIA2 (NA)

This is EPG data which is N/A as a channel that can be tuned to. When Dish doesn't carry a broadcast channel, they provide guide info in a separate virtual channel that supplements the regular EPG. If there's a name match between this virtual channel and part of the PSIP (TSID?), you get program info.

Not all broadcast channels have the accompanying virtual channels so show up as Digital Service. Incorrect data seems to show up when the name doesn't match, which could be a problem in the station's PSIP setup, or with Dish or Tribune possibly not current with the latest sub-channel changes.

The problem is worse when translator stations are involved.

KFXL---051-01 Lincoln, NE Fox
Also carried on Dish currently (in SD) as 051-00 (KFXL).
Guide data shows up for 051-00, but not 051-01, so it may be a PSIP problem or a guide data problem.

Regardless, it sure would be nice if it would be fixed...only been 3 months since I reported it. :)

So, who do we need to contact in order to get these corrected? Sorry, I'm still unclear on that, and have many stations showing "Digital Service"...

Just a bump for this thread...Who should we contact to get local guide listings added and/or corrected?

Thanks!

Gotta say that I noticed a few weeks ago that several LA sub channels don't have the "Digital Service" display, but now have accurate guide data. While this is a great step in the right direction, there are still many other sub channels that still have "Digital Service." So, now I am optimistic. Keep going at it, Dish.

Sub-channels of stations that Dish carry should get guide data. If they don't, there's a "mis-match" between the information Dish looks for and the station sends (the TSID, as I recall, part of the PSIP stream).

If you're referring to smaller, independent channels that Dish doesn't carry (via satellite), those likely will NEVER show guide data.

Sub-channels of stations that Dish carry should get guide data. If they don't, there's a "mis-match" between the information Dish looks for and the station sends (the TSID, as I recall, part of the PSIP stream).
My local Ion affiliate, WPXW, suffers from this problem. Dish carries the main channel in SD, but the OTA channels show nothing but "Digital Service". The guide was fully populated before the digital transition, but it has not worked since. I've tried about 10 tweets to get this fixed, but nothing is ever done.

Who do you recommend that I contact?

Who do you recommend that I contact?
Contact the local station, ideally the engineering group, and have THEM contact Dish directly. They'll have "inside" contacts who they deal with, not "customer" tech support. In many cases, the station is sending a TSID value that's different than the one Dish is looking for. They use this value to match stations and channels and if they don't get a match, they display "Digital Service".

I had to do this with the local PBS and Dish did finally resolve it ... and then screwed up one of the other PBS sub-channels in the process. The "-2" listed "Digital Service", which they fixed, but then the "-3" ended up reading "Digital Service" now.

So, who do we need to contact in order to get these corrected? Sorry, I'm still unclear on that, and have many stations showing "Digital Service"...

If all you see is "Digital Service", the guide data is not being provided by Dish at this time. If what you see is incorrect programming, post it here. People at Tribune Media are watching this thread and you should see it corrected in a few days.

If what you see is incorrect programming, post it here. People at Tribune Media are watching this thread and you should see it corrected in a few days.

Ok, here goes. I have previously contacted Dish, the station, and Tribune to no avail. Dish blames the station, the station blames Dish, and Tribune never replied to my e-mail.

KXVA Fox
Abilene, TX

Shows incorrect guide information. I think it is showing CW guide information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts