OTA question with Direct tv hd-dvr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
Can somebody tell me if there is a terrestrial antenna port for recieving local HD programming on the HD PVR reciever currently being offered by Direct tv ?

Also if there is, will it show up on the guide and can you record local hd programming? My hd local channels are not yet available on the satellite but are available OTA in Rochester, NY. Thanks in advance.

Also is there a minimum contract time with a new subscriber? BP

Can somebody tell me if there is a terrestrial antenna port for recieving local HD programming on the HD PVR reciever currently being offered by Direct tv ?

Also if there is, will it show up on the guide and can you record local hd programming? My hd local channels are not yet available on the satellite but are available OTA in Rochester, NY. Thanks in advance.

Also is there a minimum contract time with a new subscriber? BP

The answer is yes and no. The HR20 receivers have two ATSC tuners in them that allow you to record OTA digital channels. The ATSC stations guide info is intergrated into the regular DBS guide to allow for setting up recordings or series links.

The new HR21 receiver does NOT have ATSC tuners in it, just DBS. If you want to go with D* you might want to go to a brick and mortar (BestBuy/Circuit City) where you can pick up the box and take it home for the installer, it's been reported that D* installers can't guarentee a HR20 on installs.

The answer is yes and no. The HR20 receivers have two ATSC tuners in them that allow you to record OTA digital channels. The ATSC stations guide info is intergrated into the regular DBS guide to allow for setting up recordings or series links.

The new HR21 receiver does NOT have ATSC tuners in it, just DBS. If you want to go with D* you might want to go to a brick and mortar (BestBuy/Circuit City) where you can pick up the box and take it home for the installer, it's been reported that D* installers can't guarentee a HR20 on installs.

Rad,
Are there any HR21's out on the market yet ?
He should be able to get the HR20-700,-100 right from D* without to much trouble.
I cannot believe that D* would force you to have a HR21 if you told them you need OTA antenna access.

robertjp,
The OTA antenna can be connected to the back of the HR20's I mentioned and you can record the OTA on the DVR and it does show up in the guide.

2 year commit for any subs.
You can find the HR20-700's at Costco as well for $269 currently.

Jimbo

Rad,
Are there any HR21's out on the market yet ?
He should be able to get the HR20-700,-100 right from D* without to much trouble.
I cannot believe that D* would force you to have a HR21 if you told them you need OTA antenna access.

robertjp,
The OTA antenna can be connected to the back of the HR20's I mentioned and you can record the OTA on the DVR and it does show up in the guide.

2 year commit for any subs.
You can find the HR20-700's at Costco as well for $269 currently.

Jimbo

HR21 are out

HR21 are out

Thanks Grydlok,
I just did some searching and found that they are out there.

It's too bad D* decided that an OTA tuner is worth potentially losing subs over, I will never buy/lease a unit that doesn't have an OTA set up on it, at least if there is an alternative.

Jimbo

Jimbo, reports are coming in that folks go to BB or CC and the HR20's are gone, empty space on the shelf, but there's HR21's in stock. I check our local BB's and out of 7 only 2 have them in stock. Other have said installers come with HR21's, when they say they want a HR20 they've been told their distribution center doesn't have them, only HR21's.

IMHO the main problem is that D* hasn't said what the plan is. Are HR20's being disco'ed and only HR21's in the future? Is there just a shortage at the moment on HR20's but they're still being manufactured? What's the determining factor of who get's what since both are selling for $299 and I'll bet D* want's to install as many HR21's as possible to keep their costs down.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)