OTA Recordings Breaking Up

Maybe you could save the timers to your remote, pull the batteries to avoid an overwrite, remove timers, and if needed restore the old timers and be no worse off. -Ken

Maybe you could save the timers to your remote, pull the batteries to avoid an overwrite, remove timers, and if needed restore the old timers and be no worse off. -Ken

Good idea KKlare, but to late. I already got it done. I didn't have that many OTA timers to re-do.

Going to test one Hopper today for the OTA recording issues with an idea from MikeD-C05. On one of my Hoppers that has all our OTA favorite local channel's timers, I deleted all timers, deleted all local channels, disconnected the OTA module, and pulled the plug for a hard reboot. Left the Hopper unplugged for five minutes, plugged her back in, after she booted up and running I plugged the OTA module back in. Hopper did another soft reboot and then I performed a scan for local channels. After that, I loaded timers for all our favorite OTA local channels. Six of our favorite timers are Monday thru Friday during the day so will post back when or if the first one screws up. All of these channels (five CBS and one CW) were corrupted Monday and yesterday. First channel to record is at 8 AM CST and the last one records at 4 PM CST. I will also live view these programs during the day. First one just started, CW channel. Wish me luck.

Thanks for trying this for us. I hope it works.

Going to test one Hopper today for the OTA recording issues with an idea from MikeD-C05. On one of my Hoppers that has all our OTA favorite local channel's timers, I deleted all timers, deleted all local channels, disconnected the OTA module, and pulled the plug for a hard reboot. Let the Hopper unplugged for five minutes, plugged her back in, after she booted up and running I plugged the OTA module back in. Hopper did another soft reboot and then I performed a scan for local channels. After that, I loaded timers for all our favorite OTA local channels. Six of our favorite timers are Monday thru Friday are during the day so will post back when or if the first one screws up. All of these channels (five CBS and one CW) were corrupted Monday and yesterday. First channel to record is at 8 AM CST and the last one records at 4 PM CST. I will also live view these programs during the day. First one just started, CW channel. Wish me luck.

I just watched my first OTA recording, since the last upgrade and the program was unwatchable. The sound was barely understandable and the video had lots of breakups in it. Dish needs to fix this, I paid near $50 for the OTA tuner and it is worthless. I checked both recordings of Star Crossed, which were recorded after the update, but a week apart and both are unwatchable. I moved all my OTA timers to Sat, until Dish fixes this. The live channel is a great pic, but recordings are terrible.

Last edited:
Going to test one Hopper today for the OTA recording issues with an idea from MikeD-C05. On one of my Hoppers that has all our OTA favorite local channel's timers, I deleted all timers, deleted all local channels, disconnected the OTA module, and pulled the plug for a hard reboot. Left the Hopper unplugged for five minutes, plugged her back in, after she booted up and running I plugged the OTA module back in. Hopper did another soft reboot and then I performed a scan for local channels. After that, I loaded timers for all our favorite OTA local channels. Six of our favorite timers are Monday thru Friday during the day so will post back when or if the first one screws up. All of these channels (five CBS and one CW) were corrupted Monday and yesterday. First channel to record is at 8 AM CST and the last one records at 4 PM CST. I will also live view these programs during the day. First one just started, CW channel. Wish me luck.

First recording looks good. It was a CW channel. Next timer fires at 10 AM CST, a CBS channel.

Did you watch it live on same hopper that was recording? I think that prevents the recording from breaking up.

Last week I was recording a show off OTA. Five minutes after it started I switched to it live to see if it was breaking up. It wasn't. Then I started the recording over and it was broken up up to the point I started watching live.

Did you watch it live on same hopper that was recording? I think that prevents the recording from breaking up.

Last week I was recording a show off OTA. Five minutes after it started I switched to it live to see if it was breaking up. It wasn't. Then I started the recording over and it was broken up up to the point I started watching live.

Yes, watched it live from same Hopper. When it was over I watched the recording for about 20 minutes and then skipped forward several times to check the rest of it. Didn't see any issues. I will check it again thru the day and the next timer will do some of the procedures you did and see what happens.

Here's another problem a customer pointed out to me today. It appears that since the last update OTA recordings no longer add the 1 minute at the beginning and 3 minutes to the end of the recordings even though that's what's specified in the timers. I just checked one here and that seems to be the case. A Jeopardy recording that should be 34 minutes long is 30 minutes long.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere so maybe this should be another new thread?

Actually I've seen this problem for the last two weeks.

I have an OTA timer set to record "The Good Wife".

Because of potential delays in airing the program during the NFL season I have the start time at 1 minute before the program and the stop time 90 minutes after the program for a total record time of 151 minutes.

The last two weeks the program recorded for exactly 60 minutes. Did not record the 1 minute prior or the 90 minutes after the program.

Second recording was good. Started watching the recording for about 10 minutes, switched to live for a while and then back to recording. Started it over and it played all the way thru with no issues. Must be my lucky day so far.

Second recording was good. Started watching the recording for about 10 minutes, switched to live for a while and then back to recording. Started it over and it played all the way thru with no issues. Must be my lucky day so far.

Well the real test is if it works for two or three days in a row. So far I don't consistently have bad recordings . Also try watching something else while it is recording and watch it later and or try to watch it delayed from the start. If it does work without any issues ,then we have the answer that we should all follow. I didn't have time last night to try my old idea, I just hope that this is the fix.

FINGERS CROSSED!:)

Well the real test is if it works for two or three days in a row. So far I don't consistently have bad recordings . Also try watching something else while it is recording and watch it later and or try to watch it delayed from the start. If it does work without any issues ,then we have the answer that we should all follow. I didn't have time last night to try my old idea, I just hope that this is the fix.

FINGERS CROSSED!:)

Yep, time will tell.

Test complete for the day. Had one little pixilation on the last recording, CBS Y&R at 4 PM. About half way thru it had about a 2 second pixel. So I would say a good day after re-setting everything. On another Hopper I have set up identical OTA timers but did not re-set the timers or channels. Will also see how that Hopper does tomorrow. During previous test last week it had numerous corrupt recordings. Will see how tomorrow goes.

All of my OTA Recordings are choppy. Watching Live is fine. I am disappointed this isn't fixed because if I want to record all 4 NCAA games at the same time I need to use OTA (CBS) for the 4th channel.

All of my OTA Recordings are choppy. Watching Live is fine. I am disappointed this isn't fixed because if I want to record all 4 NCAA games at the same time I need to use OTA (CBS) for the 4th channel.

I hear ya. I am still testing but the one Hopper that I reset everything the OTA recordings sure seem to be doing better. May be a stroke of luck, time will tell. I am still testing for at least till next week sometime. But, you might want to try it out anyway. Wouldn't hurt if it is not too late for your NCAA games. See post #103.

It's strange there's no consistency to this problem. Recording the tonight show weeknights, the one for Monday played fine but Tuesday's was all screwed up again.

Just had a thought that setting a auto tune timer the minute before a DVR timer is supposed fire as a possible workaround for this and it seems that it may actually be a valid workaround. Certainly not elegant, but maybe a tad less cumbersome than doing all the deleting/rebooting/recreating stuff.

Just had a thought that setting a auto tune timer the minute before a DVR timer is supposed fire as a possible workaround for this and it seems that it may actually be a valid workaround. Certainly not elegant, but maybe a tad less cumbersome than doing all the deleting/rebooting/recreating stuff.

Let us know how that works out for you.

Worked fine for a couple of one shot recordings I setup to test it this afternoon. Of course the auto tune interrupts whatever you're doing at the time, but at least you don't have to actually be there, or remember, to manually tune it to get it to do what it's supposed to do. Like I said, far from elegant, but better than totally unwatchable garbage at least.

Not sure what would happen with two consecutive show yets though. I'll see what happens then tomorrow night with the double episode season premiere of "Whose Line.." I guess...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)