OTA with Voom

Sean,
I am still having a problem getting the Philadelphia mappings. I reset the box 3 times and after the channels relist I still get the NY listings. Could there be something wrong with my box?

miked said:
Sean,
I am still having a problem getting the Philadelphia mappings. I reset the box 3 times and after the channels relist I still get the NY listings. Could there be something wrong with my box?

It is possible because the mapping was changed. You can ask V* to send a hit signal to the Box wait 45 minutes and if still nothing do a factory reset to see what happens.

Sean Mota said:
It is possible because the mapping was changed. You can ask V* to send a hit signal to the Box wait 45 minutes and if still nothing do a factory reset to see what happens.
Hi Sean
Just a quick question concerning local ota I have tried several antenna and no signal, just wondering if you know or anyone out there is D or E available just for the local channels hd and nothing else,may be a solution for some of us thanks
Jeanie : :confused:

Ilya said:
Jeanie,
What does www.antennaweb.org say about your street address?
need purple range antenna which I tried cm 4228 with amp and nothing for channels listed which is wilkes barre, pa, about 40 miles from towers, but we live in valley with mountain is front of view of towers, so I have given up unless they come out with different antenna, or solution from VOOM thinking about asking d or e about just local hdtv channel package, don't know if they do that? any help there
thanks Jeanie

rjbar said:
need purple range antenna which I tried cm 4228 with amp and nothing for channels listed which is wilkes barre, pa, about 40 miles from towers, but we live in valley with mountain is front of view of towers, so I have given up unless they come out with different antenna, or solution from VOOM thinking about asking d or e about just local hdtv channel package, don't know if they do that? any help there
thanks Jeanie

Unfortunately, E* only provides CBS-HD and D* only provides CBS-HD with Fox-EDTV in the future. These are only available to 10 markets where either CBS or Fox operates and owns. Only 30% of subscribers qualify for it and if you get a waiver for it, you might also qualify.

rjbar said:
Hi Sean
Just a quick question concerning local ota I have tried several antenna and no signal, just wondering if you know or anyone out there is D or E available just for the local channels hd and nothing else,may be a solution for some of us thanks
Jeanie : :confused:

There may be future hope.
Dish & CEO Charlie were in the news recently trying to petition Congress to allow just what you are asking for. There are many locales that cannot receive OTA HD due to no stations or geography/structures blocking. They want to be able to have a national HD feed for all the networks to people who cannot get it by also making it easy to file waivers.
Ex. I cannot get WB, UPN, or NBC. I can get the rest OTA. Thus, I should be able to ask for a waiver for these 3 via a national Dish HD channels.
Some real rural folks could get ALL of the channels this way!!
Of course Dish will need more capacity to do this. I bet by 2006 this problem will be fixed.

rjbar said:
thinking about asking d or e about just local hdtv channel package
Another option is to check a local package from a cable company...

Hope this is a good thread to post this in.

I live near chicago, and pull in all HD channels(besides channel 2 WBBM, which is hard to get) using a MYHD card. My V* box for some reason will not get UPN (channel 50, WPWR). I have good reception on all other channels, and it is one of the strongest signals picked up by my MYHD card. I have done two factory resets with the same results each time, which is a "No Signal Received on local channel 50-1. Please try again later." Any advice?

Let me know

DrGori said:
Hope this is a good thread to post this in.

I live near chicago, and pull in all HD channels(besides channel 2 WBBM, which is hard to get) using a MYHD card. My V* box for some reason will not get UPN (channel 50, WPWR). I have good reception on all other channels, and it is one of the strongest signals picked up by my MYHD card. I have done two factory resets with the same results each time, which is a "No Signal Received on local channel 50-1. Please try again later." Any advice?

The problem is that Voom only works with Digital TV signals OTA. WPWR Channel 50 is not Digital. It is only ANALOG. I also leave near Chicago.

Hope that helps.

Bill

Channel 51

WPWR Channel 51 is digital so we should be getting this channel. I am not getting it either. I hooked the antenna up to my dish 6000 and it only get WPWR analog and Not digital. So I am not sure what the problem is.

Bill

Can this be my problem?

The installer mounted the OTA on the west side of my house but it's pointing east thus aiming more towards my roof tiles than air. (Hope this is clear!)

All the towers are maximum of 12 miles from my house due east. I get OTA signal power of only 29 but quality is 64-66

I have a signal on only 8 of 12 channels that are mapped on my PG. I haven't done a Factory reset yet, but something tells me that this antenna pointing at my roof is the culprit.

Any thoughts?

Did you check antenna web?

truqui said:
Can this be my problem?

The installer mounted the OTA on the west side of my house but it's pointing east thus aiming more towards my roof tiles than air. (Hope this is clear!)

All the towers are maximum of 12 miles from my house due east. I get OTA signal power of only 29 but quality is 64-66

I have a signal on only 8 of 12 channels that are mapped on my PG. I haven't done a Factory reset yet, but something tells me that this antenna pointing at my roof is the culprit.

Any thoughts?

Depending which channel you take your signal power and quality from the numbers will change. 64-66 for quality is good. But start at your lowest channel then get the numbers then go to your middle then the highest OTA channel and note the numbers. Then you will get a better idea if there is a problem.

Did you go to antennaweb.org to see where the antenna should be pointing? Antenna web will provide the compass orientation for your locals and you can then see if the installed pointed the antenna correctly.

Bill

truqui said:
Can this be my problem?

I'd lay bets that if you had a clear line of site to the towers (not partially blocked by your roof) you'd have much better reception.

Bill

Bill (Videofx)
Thanks.
I just checked antenna.org and printed a street level map.
The OTA seems to be pointed right at the ones I can see but the others are only like 5-8 degrees north of those, maybe less I don't have a compass with me right now. But what gets me is that I am getting a channel that is 90 degrees north from me?

Anyway is there a certain signal width/angle that the OTA can handle. Or is it straight at it?

Depends

truqui said:
Anyway is there a certain signal width/angle that the OTA can handle. Or is it straight at it?

Depends on the type and model of antenna. Do you have the channel master stealth or a different antenna? Does it have an amplifier? If the antenna is omnidirectional then yoou should get channels from all sides of the antenna. depending on distance and power of the station that is broadcasting. So if you have strong signals on some channels faching you current dircection then move the antenna a little towards the other stations you dont get and see if you can then get them all. An amp may or may not help becuase if you are close then the antenna might be over-driven by the amp there by degrading the signal.

Bill

Bill, it's a CM Stealth antenna, not sure if it's amplified. How do I know? I do know that the installer did plug something into an outlet in my garage which I think goes to a diplexer?

I'll try to post a picture of how the antenna is pointed. It is definately pointing towards my roof...

How do you know?

truqui said:
Bill, it's a CM Stealth antenna, not sure if it's amplified. How do I know? I do know that the installer did plug something into an outlet in my garage which I think goes to a diplexer?

I'll try to post a picture of how the antenna is pointed. It is definately pointing towards my roof...

The only way I know of telling if the Stealth is amplified is to look for an black AC adapter that plugs into an outlet near where the cable plugs in to the diplexor. If it is amplified try unplugging the amp to see if it was not over driving the antenna and if facing down try facing the antenna up.

Bill

OTA adjustments...cautions?

I am going to make some adjustments to my OTA to see if I can get the channels I currently have mapped but no signal. The installer pointed it toward my roof so I want to aim it higher up to see what gives.

Any precautions I should take other than not falling off the ladder? :shocked
Is there anything I should be aware of before I do this?

Thanks in advance for your comments!!!

truqui said:
I am going to make some adjustments to my OTA to see if I can get the channels I currently have mapped but no signal. The installer pointed it toward my roof so I want to aim it higher up to see what gives.

Any precautions I should take other than not falling off the ladder? :shocked
Is there anything I should be aware of before I do this?

Thanks in advance for your comments!!!

not really. Just don't fall. :)

I am sure you have already done that, but in case you have not: go to www.antennaweb.org and enter your street address. It will show you the azimuth to each of your local stations. So, you will know in which direction to point your antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts