OutLook Question

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
When I receive an email that has a link oulook will not open the link when I click on it. How can I change this?:confused:

Do you have an association preset to a particular browser for URL handling? If so, try removing that or changing it to another browser, then setting it back to your original, preferred choice.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I know nothing about software. I know what browser settings are. Should I adjust those settings. I cant find anything in reguards to url handling.

I think he means that when you have a text string like http:// it will open IR7 or FF. These are called associations in windows. You can specify them.

Go into control panel and select file options and specify that URL HTTP opens with your browser.

Not sure if this is the problem but this is probably the first step.

Outlook will block URLs on the (usually valid) assumption that the sender wants to get the recipient to download malware from some third part site that will avoid the E-Mail AV scanners. If you're part of an Active Directory domain, chances are your admins have set this protection for everyone in the organization, especially with the rash of "E-cards from a Chum/Friend/Neighbor/Buddy/Classmate/coworker/etc." that have been going around.

In addition to what Foxbat said, I am sorry I did not ask if this was a corporate or home use and for assuming that you already knew all the lingo; my fault.. Can you give us any more details, or if you get it working?

Yeah my guess is your using Outlook 07 or 03 O7 rocks anyway their should be something in your Outlook settings to adjust this.

In addition to what Foxbat said, I am sorry I did not ask if this was a corporate or home use and for assuming that you already knew all the lingo; my fault.. Can you give us any more details, or if you get it working?
Thanks for your help. No need to apologize, my ignorance. I have Outlook 2007 temporarily installed. I made this my default email. If I click on a link from there it works. My outlook express still dose not work when I click on a link weather it is my default or not. This is on my home computer. I have tried everything I know. When I have to revert back to my Outlook Express when the trail period ends on Outlook 2007 I will try to fix it again. I have no idea why it dos not work. :confused:

Thanks for your help. No need to apologize, my ignorance. I have Outlook 2007 temporarily installed. I made this my default email. If I click on a link from there it works. My outlook express still dose not work when I click on a link weather it is my default or not. This is on my home computer. I have tried everything I know. When I have to revert back to my Outlook Express when the trail period ends on Outlook 2007 I will try to fix it again. I have no idea why it dos not work. :confused:

Try Thunderbird.

Thunderbird - Reclaim your inbox

IMO it's a better email client than any of the Outlooks.

If you are using outlook 2003 or 2007, I have seen this issue many times before.

If you right click on an the email message that has the links that are not working, go down to "Junk Email", then "Junk Email Option". The last option in there is a check box for "Do not turn on links in message... yada, yada, yada". Just un check that. It will be fine for sure.

If you still want outlook to remove links in messages it thinks are bad, simply try to "Add Sender's Domain to safe senders list" first, and that may take care of it. That is an option when you right click on the message and go to "Junk Email". But I have seen this not help the situation before.

Following up on joedecock's post, if this is happening in your Junk Email, and not in your Inbox, I would leave it that way. If there is something you want to link to, move it to your inbox.

Thanks all of you Guys for your help. I reinstalled xp. All my issues disappeared. Compared to the way it was this thing is screaming! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)