Over the air... really?

And, finally, it seems the industry may be moving towards more a la carte packaging where you have a lil more control
Dreaming of unicorns?

I think you're seeing a trend that isn't there. Even the OTT offerings are often bundled and having to pay $6/month (with limited commercials) for something like CBS All Access doesn't seem economically sound.

Reactions: osu1991
That was the only way to watch tv before cable and satellite.
You're dating yourself.

Pay TV has been the best option for most for a long time. The DTV transition really drove that home.

The proliferation of subchannels has done as much harm as good as the quality has suffered in many cases.

You're dating yourself.

Pay TV has been the best option for most for a long time. The DTV transition really drove that home.

The proliferation of subchannels has done as much harm as good as the quality has suffered in many cases.
Dish network and Directv ruined quality long ago

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Dish network and Directv ruined quality long ago

That would be Dish. Directv has great picture, even on most locals. If a local is crappy from their studios, it will be crappy OTA and pay providers. There are many awful local channels across the country. From picture quality to local news. And the useless tickers during any weather event don't help, especially nowadays when it's rare for a sporting event to have its own. And locals that don't understand audio (2.0 vs 5.1).
Premption is another issue that locals do that I can't stand. I find myself glad when a major game I want to watch is on satellite channels and not locals. I know that there will be no interruptions. I just watched the 10 episodes of "Designated Survivor" and 4 of them had obnoxious tickers for school closings in another state that no one cares about, even there. It's snow. In New England.

Sorry. Rant over.

Could be one of the reasons why the new NBC O&O in Boston is launching on a low power transmitter.
There are many frequencies occupied in Boston and the surrounding area so it may simply be that they had to protect some other nearby market to get an available channel. Remember that the TV band wasn't nearly as crowded back in the day; there were more than 80 channels to choose from prior to 2009 and there are less than 50 now.

Reactions: Foxbat
They're launching on a low power because no one else would sell them a station and they got greedy not renewing their affiliate agreement.

Makes sense, but when people depended more on OTA, they might have thought twice about it. Now they're figuring (heck, depending) on the fact that 85% of viewers will be tuning in via some other source, so the lack of signal penetration won't matter

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I also have spoken with people who remember OTA but falsely believe that it was discontinued at the time of the digital transition.
On the other hand, yesterday I was at a Christmas gathering and a family received an antenna from their uncle. I presume it was known that they did not have cable or satellite. I explained that they would not necessarily receive all of the networks displayed on the box. Unfortunately, it was one of those small square amplified units and I encouraged them to try several locations near the TV.

I ordered a couple of the refurb Tivo OTA Roamio's during their Black Friday sale, been using mine more than my HR34 ...
Curious dfergie what kinda deal you got on those Roamios? Lifetime service?.

Bought mine a year ago from Amazon for 299.00 lifetime service.RF remote comes in very handy as I am outputting the HDMI to a splitter and watch in 3 seperate rooms.

Curious dfergie what kinda deal you got on those Roamios? Lifetime service?.

Bought mine a year ago from Amazon for 299.00 lifetime service.RF remote comes in very handy as I am outputting the HDMI to a splitter and watch in 3 seperate rooms.

He got in on the $199 Roamio OTA w/Lifetime deal Tivo had a few weeks ago for Thanksgiving/Black Friday. It lasted about 10 days. Wish I had bought another. I have 4 on my account now for myself, my dad and my mom. My stepsister bought one fo the $199 deals to replace her bolt when the 1 yr of service on it runs out in May.

He got in on the $199 Roamio OTA w/Lifetime deal Tivo had a few weeks ago for Thanksgiving/Black Friday. It lasted about 10 days. Wish I had bought another. I have 4 on my account now for myself, my dad and my mom. My stepsister bought one fo the $199 deals to replace her bolt when the 1 yr of service on it runs out in May.
Thats a heck of a deal for lifetime service.Been very happy with mine here.Came with a 500Gb harddrive.What size harddrive did the ones on special come with?

Thats a heck of a deal for lifetime service.Been very happy with mine here.Came with a 500Gb harddrive.What size harddrive did the ones on special come with?

500g.
With the Roamios, it is easy to replace them with up to 3Tb drives. Just take the cover off and replace the drive, reboot and Tivo will have you go thru guided setup again. Once that is done, you are ready to go with more recording space. I've upgraded 2 of mine to 3Tb Western Digital AV drives and the other 2 I upgraded to the same WD drives but in 2Tb size.

I tinkered around with a Mediasonic Homeworx unit for awhile and did the job with an external USB harddrive.Was not a bad setup at all but would only populate a guide for 24-30 hrs at best.Seen the Roamio last year on Amazon for 299 with lifetime and jumped on it...You guys got a great deal.

Also have a Freesat V7 Combo FTA sat receiver.The Combo V7 has along with a sat tuner an ATSC tuner.Have that one connected to a 750gb hard drive.It does a fine job recording and playing back anything I have recorded OTA but the downside it will not populate an EPG..Anyway congrats on the Roamio Christmas presents!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)