pansat 2000v+universal lnb observation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

novice

Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
i recently purchased a winegard 30" with an invacom universal .3 db lnb. i'm using this setup with a pansat 2000v receiver. when the receiver was configured with a standard lnb setup of 10750 (even though i had the invacom plugged in), i could see fluctuations in SS and SQ. as soon as i changed the settings on the receiver to universal lnb and accepted the defaults of 9750 and 10600, SS and SQ immediately dropped to zeroes. no matter where i pointed the dish, it would stay at zero for both SS and SQ. very strange.

after fiddling with the equipment for a couple hours, i finally gave up. on a wild shot, i then hooked up the receiver to my computer via a null modem serial cable (RS232) and proceeded to upgrade the firmware. being a network administrator, i have these types of cables handy for configuring network switches and routers. the ROM version was 1.07, upgraded to 1.11 according to Pansat's upgrade utility. now the SS and SQ levels exist as they should with an lnb setting of universal. i didn't think firmware had anything to do with the receiver's compatibility to use a universal lnb since that feature was already built into the receiver's older ROM version, but this might do the trick. this receiver worked great when i had a standard lnb hooked up to it, and i'm not sure why it had fits with the universal lnb.

it's already dark outside, so i'll have to try locking in on amc4-ku tomorrow. if it works, i'll let you guys know since this might help users with other pansat models as well. by the way, i would post the URL of Pansat's software dowload page, but apparently i'm not an established member on this board yet....

Thanks for the very useful info Novice and WELCOME to the forum :wave

setup on the install should be

lnb type-universal 1
lnb freq-9750/10600 (this defaults)
22k- should have a - (this is defualt..cant change)
0/12v should be 0
Diseqc-only if using a switch
transponder-make sure the one you pick is legit
motor-only if you have a motor
scan-FTA & Scramble or FTA only

if you have no signal (Pete called me about this), try a master reset on the back of the unit. When I hook up a new LNB, I always do that because otherwise the unit seems to go freaky (I have a 1500)

good luck!

i finally got it working!

it seems that the software upgrade on the receiver enabled it to use the invacom universal lnb (or any universal lnb, for that matter) properly. without the upgrade of the software, SS and SQ were straight zeroes no matter where the dish was pointed in conjunction with a universal lnb. i locked into amc4-ku in about 15 minutes.

i tried the master reset previous to upgrading the sofware, but it had no effect on the zero SS and SQ symptom.

what really helped the most was buying a small tv today at circuit city, and hooking that up to my receiver. i placed both on the roof and viewed SS and SQ levels myself while moving the dish. previously, i'd call someone at the receiver end (downstairs) who would read out the SS and SQ numbers over the phone...not a good idea.

by the way, the small black and white 5" tv that i purchased is on sale at circuit city for $25. a good price on a basic, portable tv to aim your dish....a cheap man's version of a satellite meter. i highly recommend this if your dish is at a location where you have no access to view your tv, like a roof. since you can't use the cheap satellite meters with these universal lnb's, this is your cheapest option.

the result of using the invacom lnb has been +15 SQ, the SS has stayed the same. you can tell right away from the workmanship that this lnb is a quality product. thanks to iceberg for your suggestions, and pete for your patience!

glad it worked out!

The 5" TV is a good idea. I use a 19" for mine (I only have to go up 10 feet for the roof) :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)