Pansat 3500

Status
Please reply by conversation.
IA-6 stuck transponder

I was reading back into this post where the pansat 3500 was sticking on a transponder for a few minutes. My 2500A and Fortec ultra do the same thing.

I can't remember the tp frequency or s/r but I remember that one would really slow my receivers down to the point I thought they had locked up.

after a few minutes it moved on without finding anything scrambled or clear.

The data stream from that tp must contain code that keeps the cpu's in these fta receivers on the threshold of detecting a usable channel yet there is nothing their.

my second theory is it could be a channel that the uplinker is using some "poor man's scrambling" scheme by using a slightly modified mpeg-2 stream. Just simply removing or inverting a couple of bytes from the stream.
yet not actually using a commercially available encryption system like all of the popular ones used by large commericial program providers.

I added the UHF remote option to the unit :)

now I can put the UHF remote in the other room and still use the IR in the living room

Attachments

• IM000338.JPG
    IM000338.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 535
rayydio said:
That's the one thing that I like about the Coolsat, it does not "stall" like that as I remember.

depends on the satellite. If its on or near a DBS< it will stall

Had that issue on AMC9, because Nimiq2 is close to it :)

Sounds like I will like the Pansat meter better too. My experience on the Coolsat-the highest signal I have seen is 88 but above 80 is rare. When you hit 66 you are in danger if the signal is not stable and below 64 you get breakups. So really the meter is effectively a 0-25!

Iceberg said:
I like the 3500 better. It really works for what I need it to do...and the meter, even though spazmatic, works better for me. I dont like to see a 60 signal on the meter (like the Coolsat does), only to have a 30 signal

Pansat 3500 PBS audio

Iceberg, great review on the 3500. I am not familiar with the FTA world. You mentioned in your review that it required a "receiver" (or) a "decoder" to receive the PBS audio. Is the additional component normally necessary to receive PBS audio on other FTA receivers or is that unique to the Pansat 3500? Also, what part does the AC-3 output play in this scenario?

Many thanks,

Ron

The receivers will put out audio but just not for AC-3 which requires the additional audio receiver with decoding ability. Not all fta receivers are AC-3 capable.

Sorry if this seems out of place, but I've been looking for a good MPEG2 receiver to purchase, and after putting a purchase on the backburner for such a long time, I think I might actually go ahead and buy one.

This 3500S sounds REALLY nice. I think I might buy one, could any of you recommend it? And a place to purchase it, other than local dealers? What's the price of this unit? And should I buy a different model, I mean is there anything that does picture quality and features better?
Sorry for all the noob questions.

In case you're wondering, I have a 4DTV, and I barely use the thing anymore (I have Dish) but FTA has always interested me.

Thanks a lot.

The two receivers I recommend are the Pansat 3500 and the Coolsat 4000 Pro. Picture quality-I prefer the Pansat-see the review section for a comparison. The big feature the Coolsat has is the new blind scan-very nice and fast. However the Pansat has component video and complete AC3 support (Coolsat has partial). Pansat also has a better signal meter and a complete satellite list.

So you have to decide what features are the most important to you and choose the unit that best fits your needs. As far as where to purchase, most here buy from established Internet firms such as PSB or Sadoun. Ebay is a good choice if you are careful.

I think I'll end up getting this receiver then.

I think it's time for me to look over some of the FAQ's. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. heh.

Yeah, definately read the reviews including the review of the new Coolsat firmware. Also check this thread for info on some issues with Pansat blind scan. Best to have all the information before purchasing.

ac-3 receiver

hi iceberg,
I just got a pansat 3500s, in your review...I read you used an ac-3 receiver to decode some asian channels...I would love to get a receiver to get all the ac-3 benefits. which ac-3 do you recommend?

The only Asian station that has AC-3 is ImaginAsian on G10

Really any decoder works. It needs to do "Dolby Digital"

I got a real simple one from Wal-Mart

Pansat 3500s and Dish 500 with Dishpro Twin LNB

Pansat 3500s sounds a very good one from all your reviews, thanks very much. I am going to order one now. I have a question, I have a Dish 500 with DishPro Twin LNB (Used for watching Dish Network), can I use it with my Pansat 3500s to watch FTA?

Iceberg said:
not really. You can see NASA and channel 101, but thats about it

Iceberg.. Do you have your 3500s connected via Component video?

I'm planning to buy a 3500a locally for $150.00 tomorrow and I want to know how is the PQ using this unit via Component Video for my HDTV LCD set.

If you don't have it set up this way Iceberg, perhaps someone out there does and can share their thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Iceberg said:
nope...through the AV cables. My TV doesnt have component output

Thanks for the quick reply, anyone else?

Purchased the 3500s this morning, and rushed home to hook it up to my 37" LCD in my bedroom using the Component Video output and Me Like It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm very impress with the Pansat 3500s so far. Looks like I will be playing with it during this 3-day weekend 24/7 :yes LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts