Review of Pansat 2700a

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Review of Pansat 2700a

The Pansat 2700a receiver physically is very small, but dont let that fool you, its a very feature packed reciever. The front of the unit is simple, with power standby, channel up/ down buttons and a very easy to see digital display. On the back of the box is power on/off, LNB in, ANT in, TV out, Loop out, a set of RCA AV outputs, Svideo out, SPDIF AC-3 out, RS 232 input, a plug in for the optional RF remote add-on, and +5/-5/ pulse output for skew control.

Here are the specs on this receiver, annotated as I saw fit:

Full Compliant of MPEG-2 Digital & DVB broadcasting

950-2,150 MHz input Frequency (IF Loop Throughout)

Variable Input Symbol Rate (1-45 Msps)

Automatic PAL/NTSC Conversion

Fast Channel Change- They are not kidding, the 2700a changes channels quickly.

5,000 Channels TV & Radio Program
To manage all of these channels you can have up to 5 favorite channel lists, with unlimited channels in each list. Naming channels is easy via the remote, you can use the keypad to select letters the same as you would to use a cell phone to “text” a message. Channel names can be up to 20 characters in length, which allows for a very descriptive name, i.e.: ASN_on_Anikf1. Channels can also be sorted by 4 criteria- alphabetic, satellite, FTA /scramble and parental lock. Channels can be moved, deleted, skipped and parental locked. One drawback of this unit is that channels can only be deleted one at a time, and there is no way I have found to view channels as you are deleting them.

Universal Remote
I really like this remote. While smaller than most universals, the layout of the keys is very easy to use, and the remote is shaped to fit your hand. This remote controls not only the 2700a, but also controls most of the everyday functions of my TV and VCR, including switching video inputs on the TV. This has enabled us to use only 1 remote to control channel changing, moving the BUD etc., which is much better than the 3 remotes we needed to use before to achieve the same results.

Flexible reception of SCPC & MCPC from C/Ku-Band Satellites

S/PDIF (Digital Audio or Dolby AC3 Stream out)
This is a feature I really wish my Satworks had, and the main reason I chose this receiver over the Satworks 3866. There are several channels out there that have AC3 audio, including some of my favorites.

Timer Function (Automatic Turn On/Off by Setting Function)
This would be a great function if the clock would keep time properly.

Multi Language OSD / 256 Colors (Graphic User Interface)
The graphic interface for this box is easy on the eyes and the menu’s are very easy to understand. The opacity of the OSD can be set from 25,50, 75%.

Manual PID / Satellite & TP scan / Network Scan / Smart Scan

There are several ways to enter channels into the 2700a. Channels may be entered manually, or scanned in. All scan modes may be scanned FTA or FTA/Scrambled.

Smart Scan- Pansats term for blind scan, this works very well on this model. Smart scan is fairly quick, about 2x as fast as my Satworks 3618 is. The one problem with smart scan is when you scan a DBS satellite you get thirteen “dummy” channels per transponder. That means deleting a lot of channels.

TP Scan- allows you to manually enter in a tp to be scanned.

Network scan- this is supposed to pick up new tps on a satellite, I haven’t really tried it yet

Satellite Scan- this will scan all the tps that the receiver knows are on a given sat.

Advanced scan -this allows you to manually enter in frequency, symbol rate and PID’s,

DiSEqC 1.3 Control Compatible (STAB USALS)
I haven’t had a chance to use this feature, so i cant comment on how well it works.

DiSEqC 1.0 and 1.2 compatable

Software Upgrade via RS-232C (Receiver to Receiver, PC to Receiver)

Using the pansat 2700a with the remote.

The universal remote can control a TV, VCR, DVD player and of course the pansat 2700a. What device you are controlling is determined by pressing the TV, VCR, AUX or STB buttons. For example to select video input on the TV I press “TV” and then press the “tv/sat” button.

Selecting channels may be done via the keypad on the remote or the up/down buttons on the remote.

Pressing the “ok” button on the remote displays a list of channels with the current channel viewable in a box. Use up/ down keys to select a channel then press ok. As you highlight channels in the channel list the channel info is shown in a box at the bottom of the channel list including satellite, freq, symb. rate, a tiny signal quality bar, and type of encryption (if any).

You can go back to the last channel viewed by pressing the “last” button.

Volume can be controlled via the left/ right buttons on the remote.

You can have a signal meter display at any time by pressing the signal button. One push on the signal button pops up a signal strength / quality meter, and second push gives you a signal quality meter with tone (VERY LOUD). The faster the tone the better the signal.

Pressing that “sat” button give you a list of satellites that has been programmed into the receiver and allows you to select a satellite to move the dish to.

Audio information can be checked by pressing the button labeled with a speaker and a question mark. Select audio left/right or subcarriers (if available).

Change between TV and Radio with the “tv/rad” button

Channel information including sat., frequency, symbol rate, audio type is displayed by pushing the “I” button on the remote.

Pressing the “menu” button on the remote gives you the following menus:

Installation- this is where you tell the Pansat 2700a what dishes you have and how they are setup/ pointed. All modes of scanning are also done under this menu, which is password protected..

Channel edit- move, edit, rename, sort and delete channels are all done under this menu which is password protected.

User setup- this allows you to select PALS or NTSC. TV Aspect ratio can also be changed in this menu. Demodulator output is set here, as is the opacity of the onscreen display.

Restore to factory defaults- self explanatory

Software transfer- for transferring/ updating software from another STB or computer.

Conclusion
All in all I am very happy with this receiver. The picture quality is excellent. The remote is very useful and easy to use. The only drawbacks I have found is the signal quality meter is not steady, there is no way to delete multiple channels at once or view channels as you are getting ready to delete them, and the issue with dummy channels on DBS satellites.

This is an excellent FTA receiver for us BUD owners who are tired of slaving a FTA receiver to your analog receiver/positioner. The Pansat 2700a will control the Vbox diseqc BUD positioner, and will also control polarity on your BUD, which most of the FTA receivers wont do. This is an excellent unit and I highly recommend it. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate this receiver a 9.

GREAT review!

So is the meter as spazzmatic as the other Pansat’s? (where it goes from 45 to 50 to 40 to 60 to 45 etc)

The DBS thing is a pain in the you know what too : )
I use my KUSat to get the FTA DBS stuff and then do a TP scan on the Pansat

The signal quality meter is extremely spazzmatic, doing exactly as you describe. Its not quite useless, but you cant really use it for peaking a dish. I had thought of selling my satworks 3618, but i am going to keep it just for peaking dish's (very stable sig. quality meter) and blind scanning dbs sats.

drhydro said:
The signal quality meter is extremely spazzmatic, doing exactly as you describe. Its not quite useless, but you cant really use it for peaking a dish.
its tough, but you can get a generalization of the satellite while aiming.
I had thought of selling my satworks 3618, but i am going to keep it just for peaking dish's (very stable sig. quality meter) and blind scanning dbs sats.
thats whay I have the KUSat..for scanning DBS satellites. I really cant use it for peaking, since if there is a 70 or a 99, it says 98 quality

I guess i shouldn't say it is next to useless, because you can see your signal quality get better or worse as you peak a dish. Its just not as useful as the meter in the satworks is.

I have a background in microcontroller programming and I want to make this comment on the spazy nature of the signal meter on the 2700a.
When a signal is displayed, it starts out as a voltage that is converted to something the machine can read by a Analog to Digital Converter. Many microcontrollers have one or more ADC ports available, they can be used to monitor anything that can be interfaced to it with the addition of a little circuitry to convert the source signal to a voltage. The microcontrollers, or processors are very fast and can read these values many time per second. The normal thing to do when trying to program the CPU to make a decision about doing something in reaction to the reading, say , display it on the screen in the form of a varying bar of color in proportion to the value read, is that in order for it to make sense, the original values must be averaged. This is a common practice in programming. The more reading taken into the averaging process, the more stable the movement of the meter will be. Also, if too many readings are averaged the delay will drive you nuts as you try to make adjustments to your system.
So I suggest this idea that only one of you who has done this adjustment can prove. I ordered the 2700a from FTAdirect yesterday, so I will be able to verify this for myself soon enough. But for all of you who think you have a inferior signal strength meter, if you stop making adjustments or touching the dish, does the level hold solid? This would mean that there is no wind, or anything else that would cause readings to vary? The longer that the readings don't change, the more stable the single meter will look. As touchy as these adjustments can be, it should make sense that the signal would be very bouncy. If this is the case, Pansat could make a very simple change to their firmware and smooth out the meter. I know that when I adjusted my Dishnet, I could see the delay in my adjustments, it is kind of annoying until you get the hang of it, Make an adjustment, then take your hand away and wait a second to see the signal stabilize, then move it a little more.

This is my 2 cents.. Joe KQ4BX

drhydro said:
I guess i shouldn't say it is next to useless, because you can see your signal quality get better or worse as you peak a dish. Its just not as useful as the meter in the satworks is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)