pansat 9200 dead?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
i think my 9200 has died...it just locks up as soon as it boots up. won't respond to much of anything. anybody else lost one yet?:confused:

I had trouble with mine doing that. Went to reboot last week and "poof" no lights. There still was some power to the unit as the usb and the optical had power. That said a friend said that it still could be the power supply and if so he could fix it. The receiver is due back today. I will post what I find out after I receive it. Have a great day!

truckracer & stone1150

Curious to know. How old is your Pansat and were you running added cooling to them

UPS delivered it today. It runs great so it was the power supply. I also have tried a fan in the past with no results. I wonder if there was a batch of bad power supplies. The receiver is no where near as hot as it used to be with the new power supply. The case is only slightly warm as opposed to hot. Before the case would get almost too hot to touch after being on for awhile. That appears to be a thing of the past now with the new supply that was installed. My Pannie is 2.5 years old. 6 months past the 2 year warranty. Have a great day!

well guys

i have a pansat regular (2700) but the power supply went out. i think the p/s are the most common problem .

good luck, manny

mine is more than two years or so old. its been turned on that long too...I can put a power supply in it or just fix the existing power board. I ordered a new one from ebay for 250.00 new.

I installed a fan in mine and it runs cool. I noticed even when you power the unit off using the remote, the power suppy and main board circuits are still powered. That is why the unit stays hot even when off ( soft off)

Hey truck I know you were once interested in the AZ Box as am I . If you are considering the premium plus like me, I would wait a bit, it still seems to have some bugs, but they seem to be working on the probs. Hopefully they won't be like Pansat, with no consumer support.

There were episodes of fta receivers running hot about five years ago -- mostly due to N2 files. The fixes included internal fans and even gluing bottle caps to the chips inside the receivers. Improvements in software made most of the problems go away. But many old fta receivers got "fried" before they were fixed.

I bought cheap WeatherWorks fans from Dollar General. They came in light green and orange colors.

I read up a lot on the 9200 before I bought a used one a couple of months ago.
I think its a really great receiver with one exception -- inadequate cooling. So I've been running one of those little fans 24/7 ever since March 31st.

My 9200 seems to be running fine with the new DVB-S2 board. I just went and checked it. It seems cool as a cucumber. And I'm enjoying the new channels I'm getting -- mostly on c-band.

Happy satellite hunting!!!

i was interested in the az box but i read the blind scan had real issues. after the pansat cooled down it seems to work. i reloaded the version 12.26 software from pansat and then put my channel data back in. so far so good...my new one arrived today

Im gonna try the fan fix, but not convinced it will fix the prob. I had my pansat shutdown and booted it back up last night and it froze within 10 minutes before it had time to get hot.

ok so with all this said ... i have not a single clue how to install a cooling thingy so does this mean i have to find some one who can do this for me ... i miss my pansat its been dead for a week now... any suggestions appreciated!! thanks

You really need to consider just going to Dollar General and getting you a cheap, plastic four or five inch fan and putting it on top of your Pansat. It will move a lot of air around your unit.

My 9200 freezes up mostly when I'm watching DVB-2S signals that are too weak. When the signal gets better, the receiver acts better. So I don't really think its the receiver. I'm from the old non-remote tv era and don't mind getting up and rebooting the receiver.

I have a friend with a tv cabinet with glass doors, and his Viewsat lite would get hot, hot! Finally, it started freezing up. He had to cut the receiver off when he wasn't using it to give it a chance to cool down some.

I've seen folks solder aftermarket cooling fans inside their fta receivers with good results. Just make sure you don't get one that draws too much current. You can do a google to find out where to solder it in.

I've even seen people glue old bottle caps upside down to the chips for heat sinks. Its crazy what people come up with. Some probably work!!!

A lot of times when I am not using it, I just turn it off by the main power switch (not soft off). Try to save it for as long as I can.
Tried every kind of fan combo and it helped to cool it, but did not really help much or at all for freezing.

Where do you get the new power supplies from? might be interesting if that would help, might get one.

I have a AZBOX along with many others, but still love the 9200, and is my main receiver. Like the AZ mainly for what the Pan 9200 can't get.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)