Parents cancelled D*, have questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kirby Baker

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 19, 2004
Somewhere in space
My parents switched providers from D* to cable for their programming. The "newest" receiver on their account was activated on the account last April. They have been a customer for years.

Now to the very best of my knowledge, I purchased the receiver for them at Bestbuy. D* claims it was leased and they are sending a box to return the receiver.

This doesnt sound right to me at all. I cant think of any reason why I would have set up my parents with a leased receiver. And on a leased receiver, would they ship it to the customer for self-install?

To further make a mess of things, the last D* rep on the phone stated "it doesnt matter if you purchased the receiver or not, its ours even if you purchase it, and we want it back". I dont know if this BASE model RCA receiver holds some special sentimental value to D* or not, but I believe that rep is incorrect.

Appreciate any comments on this from those that know.

It's a leased receiver even if you bought it at Best Buy or Circuit city, here is what it says on the Circuit City page for the H20

DIRECTV® HD Satellite Receiver (H20) Equipment Leasing 99.99

That why alot of people are seriously reconsidering D* when they need to upgrade thier equipment,the cost to lease and 2 year contract

All D* equipment purchased from retail or dealers after March of last year is considered leased. BB and the other retail outlets and D* themselves do a poor job a lot of times making folks aware of that fact.

Except I am pretty sure that it was purchased prior to the leasing program. I know I purchased it and it sat for at least 2-3 weeks before I was able to install it. So all I need to do is find purchase proof prior to March it sounds like, and then I am set right?

And if I cant, the receiver can be returned, but isnt the smart card their (parents) card? I know when I cancelled D* last year they told me to keep my cards and I could use them in new receivers I might buy if I come back.

Its funny, buy the product then its lease, why pay for the leasing item. It just don't make sense to me.

Except I am pretty sure that it was purchased prior to the leasing program. I know I purchased it and it sat for at least 2-3 weeks before I was able to install it. So all I need to do is find purchase proof prior to March it sounds like, and then I am set right?

And if I cant, the receiver can be returned, but isnt the smart card their (parents) card? I know when I cancelled D* last year they told me to keep my cards and I could use them in new receivers I might buy if I come back.

Kirby,
What is the model of the reciever ?
As for the access cards, they ARE the property of either D* or NDS, it states that right on the back of the cards.

Jimbo

Lease model went into effect march 1, 2006. So even if you bought it in march and let it sit for 3 weeks it would still be a lease.

Just send it back you are still under the 1 year contract and so far you haven't been assed an early termination fee.

I still don't understand why people pout about regular boxes having to go back... what else are you gonna use it for?

btw, from what I understand D* does not recycle these things, they destroy them. This is a proactive move to prevent signal theft from pirates.

Take a look on eBay... the boxes sell for what.. 5-10 bucks for a standard box? Add in eBay fees, PayPal's cut, and a trip to the post office and you are left with what... 3-7 bucks? Burger King pays a better hourly rate than all that jazz does for ya.

Maybe for an HD-DVR it would be worth it, but if 150 bucks is gonna break the bank, you have bigger things to worry about besides Directv wanting their box back, and how did you afford it to begin with? I mean if 150 bucks loss after 2 years service is too high a cost for you, then maybe you should have saved a couple bucks instead of buying an HDTV for 1000-3000 bucks and an HD-DVR for $300+

I still don't understand why people pout about regular boxes having to go back... what else are you gonna use it for?

btw, from what I understand D* does not recycle these things, they destroy them. This is a proactive move to prevent signal theft from pirates.

No they refurbish them and send them back out in the field.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts