pay channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jon72

Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
barboursvile wv
so when i scan 99* with my manhattan 1933 i scan in the pay channels my question is and im not asking anything illegal but how can i get those channels i mean what kinda of equipment do i need to buy those channels

so when i scan 99* with my manhattan 1933 i scan in the pay channels my question is and im not asking anything illegal but how can i get those channels i mean what kinda of equipment do i need to buy those channels
I know it's not the answer you want to hear but to receive channels from either DirecTV or Dish (or any other pay service) you need to contact them and subscribe to their service using their equipment - it's the only legal way to receive those channels via satellite. There are still lots of ITC (In The Clear) channels to watch FTA and occasionally some pay channels do go ITC for a time. :)

Last edited:
manhattan is hooked to 10ft dish not sure of brand it was on my property when i moved here i got into fta several years back been around here quite a bit just mostly read what everybody wrote then today i decided to join so i could post i was just always curious why the pay channels would scan in on an fta receiver but it wouldnt actually recieve them im not proud to say i am already subscribed to directv which is over priced i only watch a few channels but have to pay for the entire package and i was wondering if i could get the pay channels still through cband like in the old days where you could just get the channels you wanted and pretty much just make up your own package THANKS FOR THE WELCOME GUYS

Reactions: FTA4PA
Yea, i miss those days. I used to do an ala cart. I had all the channels i wanted including multiple hbo and cinemax channels for under 20.oo a month. It was a great deal. But, i have curbed the way i watch TV, and have come to love the FTA stuff that i get and don't miss the stuff i cannot get any longer.

manhattan is hooked to 10ft dish not sure of brand it was on my property when i moved here i got into fta several years back been around here quite a bit just mostly read what everybody wrote then today i decided to join so i could post i was just always curious why the pay channels would scan in on an fta receiver but it wouldnt actually recieve them im not proud to say i am already subscribed to directv which is over priced i only watch a few channels but have to pay for the entire package and i was wondering if i could get the pay channels still through cband like in the old days where you could just get the channels you wanted and pretty much just make up your own package THANKS FOR THE WELCOME GUYS

If I'm not mistaken I believe the last c band subscription service just shut down recently. Too few users to make a profit I guess. I didn't get into FTA until 2013 so I missed out on those early days. :(

I am only 45 but I can remember as a kid my parents had a bud and my dad loved I think that wAS what got me back into fta my old dish was already on my property when I bought my house so I couldn't resist giving it a try and over the past few years I've come to love it it gets watched more than anything but sure wish there was subscription cband

Reactions: FTA4PA
Several of us wish we still had ala carte C-Band services. Equipment costs for receivers has gone down, but the program owners want so much $$$ to allow subscriptions, and administrative costs are probably high. Not looking like an inviting investment in today's market.

Skyvision was the last known programming provider using the old 4DTV receivers. The programming on AMC-18 has some channels still in DCII for HITS Quantum (Headend in the Sky) for people out of cable coverage. The service has mentioned is probably gone even though their website still lists channel packages. The channels that are/were available to purchase offered are not the greatest. The popular channels are using other encoding methods (PowerVue, etc) and would not be available anyway. Long ago they were on KU and could be purchased using a Motorola DSR-410/922 or the 905 sidecar with a small KU dish. With Dish and DirecTV now I can't see how they could be making any money, especially since the need for a c-band dish although they are listing a 6 footer for sale that will receive the service. Its not like it was many moons ago in the analog world, channels could be purchased a la cart and Sunday Ticket was $99 a season. Skyvision does not seem to update their site and I don't feel like calling them anyway to see if it's still available. I was there in the early days and had a pretty impressive lineup of channels and the programming costs were really inexpensive. No high def obliviously but a good C-Band signal produced excellent quality video, no compression artifacts. I was able to sub to PrimeTime 24 network feeds even though I was not in a white zone and NPS did not care one bit. When channels started to go digital with Digicipher II, purchased a DSR-905 sidecar to receive those feeds. Most of the broadcast network feeds for affiliates used some kind of encryption but more often then not they were ITC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts