PBS HD on AMC3@87w

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Qbob

Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 6, 2005
Hi...nice place you got here!

What's the story with PBS HD? Lyngsat does not indicate a modulation scheme. I get the TP and I get digital sound for about half a second. I'm starving for HD and was hoping there's a solution to receive this broadcast....anybody beat this to death?

Qbob

Welcome to Satelite Guys
You need a receiver that will do H/Def, they are pricey though or you can
get yourself a pc card, more economical, these guy's on this forum can get You headed
in the right direction.

Covack said:
Welcome to Satelite Guys
You need a receiver that will do H/Def, they are pricey though or you can
get yourself a pc card, more economical, these guy's on this forum can get You headed
in the right direction.

Thanks for the warm welcome...nice, thank you.

I really do want to head in the right direction but to do so, I need to know the modualtion scheme...QPSK, 8PSK, 40039394PSK, LOL.

I want to be clear on the my requirements before I shop.

Qbob

If I recall correctly, its standard DVB, however instead of a 4:2:0 its 4:2:2 (I forgot the technical description of this term, but can be found by doing a search in this forum, as it was covered recently)

Most DVB recievers cannot decode 4:2:2 data, and if they could, do not have the facilities to output the HD signal in this case. The HD capable DVB recievers are specifically designed for this purpose, but as was stated before, are very expensive.

The PCI cards for computers can decode 4:2:2 data, however you will have to find a way to get the stream to your HDTV, and you must have a powerful computer to even decode the stream without skipping.

EDIT: Found the thread I was thinkig of... it is here http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=204813&postcount=7

Most HD is 4:2:0 and not 4:2:2, if it was 4:2:2 HD you would have to have one hell of a computer to decode it. Most DVD decoders that come with software DVD players or video cards are capable of DXVA(Direct X Video Acceleration) and work quite well on on a computer of 2ghz and up. as far as
I know there is no deceder that can decode 4:2:2 HD with DXVA enabled.
If you have a HDTV it should not be too much trouble to conect a computer to it, I use my computer with a DLP projector and it works great. Standalone DVB receivers are expensive now but they should start comming down in price now that Europe can get HD and I expect to see a lot more HD receivers hit the market.

ultatryon said:
If I recall correctly, its standard DVB, however instead of a 4:2:0 its 4:2:2 [/URL]

My understanding is that "standard DVB" is MPEG-2 with different modulation/encryption depending on service provider. I've searched for hours and cannot find a definitive answer to PBS HD broadcast format. I'm starting to think maybe it's proprietary. :confused:

Qbob

There are only a few receivers that can do HD. All of them can receive PBS HD. It's not proprietary. It's sent QPSK, 4:2:2, MPEG-2

Qbob said:
My understanding is that "standard DVB" is MPEG-2 with different modulation/encryption depending on service provider.

All DVB is QPSK, unless otherwise indicated. As for encryption, Lyngsat is pretty good about listing the encryption type if one is present (Nagravision/Irdeto/Viaaccess/PowerVu/etc..)

Wayn23 said:
Most HD is 4:2:0 and not 4:2:2, if it was 4:2:2 HD you would have to have one hell of a computer to decode it. Most DVD decoders that come with software DVD players or video cards are capable of DXVA(Direct X Video Acceleration) and work quite well on on a computer of 2ghz and up. as far as
I know there is no deceder that can decode 4:2:2 HD with DXVA enabled.
If you have a HDTV it should not be too much trouble to conect a computer to it, I use my computer with a DLP projector and it works great. Standalone DVB receivers are expensive now but they should start comming down in price now that Europe can get HD and I expect to see a lot more HD receivers hit the market.

As I said, "If I Recall Correctly", I am fairly certian that most HD is 4:2:2, in my crawling of Lyngsat.. but I cannot verify this information, as I do not have a PCI card (yet), or an HD reciever.

There has been some discussion in this forum regarding HD signals and 4:2:0, and 4:2:2.. a search I am sure will be able to come up with more information

As for getting HD on your tv from the PC, I didnt say it was hard, just that it would have to be done, some people do not like PCs in their living rooms, because of the noise generated, or the fact that a PC is a desk experience, instead of a couch experience.. (its not always fun to use a keyboard and mouse on your lap, then on a desk)

ultatryon said:
As for getting HD on your tv from the PC, I didnt say it was hard, just that it would have to be done, some people do not like PCs in their living rooms, because of the noise generated, or the fact that a PC is a desk experience, instead of a couch experience.. (its not always fun to use a keyboard and mouse on your lap, then on a desk)

I use a black desktop style case that fits in my rack and a remote control with my HTPC, it is getting easier to find components to make your PC very quiet. The rewards outway any inconvenience.

mkm4 said:
There are only a few receivers that can do HD. All of them can receive PBS HD. It's not proprietary. It's sent QPSK, 4:2:2, MPEG-2

I am watching it now, it is 4:2:0 about 15.7mbps for the video stream.

Wayn23 said:
I am watching it now, it is 4:2:0 about 15.7mbps for the video stream.

What are you using to receive?

Maybe this will help.. this info was retrieved useing tsreader 2.6 and a twinhan 1020a sat card..

Channel 3
Service Name: PBS1DTV
TSID: 1 (0x0001)
Channel Number: 80.3
Carrier Frequency: 0
Modulation Mode: ATSC (8 VSB)
Source ID: 3
Extended Channel Name: PBS1DTV 1
Service Location Descriptor:
PCR PID 0x0031
Stream Type 0x02 (MPEG-2 Video) ESPID = 0x0031 Language =
Stream Type 0x81 (AC-3 Audio) ESPID = 0x0034 Language = eng
Stream Type 0x81 (AC-3 Audio) ESPID = 0x0035 Language = eng

Elementary Stream PID 49 (0x0031) MPEG-2 Video
MPEG Video: Bitrate 17.500 Mbps Resolution 1920 x 1080i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 16:9 Chroma Format 4:2:0

Descriptor: Data Stream Alignment Descriptor
Alignment type: video access unit

Descriptor: ATSC Caption Service Descriptor
e2 65 6e 67 7e 3f ff 65 6e 67 c1 3f ff .eng~?.eng.?.

Good stuff guys! Thanks sooo much. Think I'm going to invest in card.

Qbob

A card is the easiest way to get HD on FTA :)
but you won't have blind scan to find the unknown frequencies

Iceberg said:
A card is the easiest way to get HD on FTA :)
but you won't have blind scan to find the unknown frequencies

Cards don't blind scan? Bummer

Qbob

Qbob said:
What's the story with PBS HD?

Qbob, You will need the Integra 912 (about $900.00) or, as mentioned, a card to plug into your computer to receive the PBS HD programing. It is a ATSC compliant stream. Seems the most popular card(s) are those by Twinhan. I use the new Twinhan 102G (about $80.00). Using a card will require either software or hardware video decoding.

Software decoding will require a speedy computer.

Hardware decoding can be one of the JVC D-VHS machines or a ATSC tuner card (MyHD MDP-100, MDP-120, or MDP-130). Both will need TSReader to stream the transport stream to one or the other device. A lot of information can be found at the COOLSTF web site.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)