PBS Stations in HD ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bronx_bob

Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Ocala, FL
I never see much mentioned about PBS locals in HD. I can't get them with an antenna where I live. Any rumors about getting PBS locals in HD sometime in the future ?

I wouldn't put much value on PBS HD. My local station multicasts and destroys their HD PQ. I think that's common.

DirecTV has local Phoenix PBS in HD but it is unwatchable. The audio and video breakup constantly. Maybe Dish can do it right.

In the meantime, an OTA antenna attached to a Dish HD DVR can pick it up.

DirecTV has local Phoenix PBS in HD but it is unwatchable. The audio and video breakup constantly. Maybe Dish can do it right.

In the meantime, an OTA antenna attached to a Dish HD DVR can pick it up.

Really? From 180 miles away? That IS a miracle machine!

:rolleyes:

The PBS HD Channel was great when it was separate from the SD version. All of the program was in true HD, it was great. All of the programming was new and interesting. When the channels merged, they started showing all of the 70s and 80s shows. They zoom in on the old SD version...it looks bad. I was actually watching alot of PBS, but they merged. I hardly watch it now.

There are some good programs here and there on PBS in HD... concerts.... Rick Steves' Europe (you can see the old eps of those on HD-Net).

Dish will add the local PBS HD channels (and all other local HD channels) over the next 4 years, because they are required to do so by the FCC, but have been allowed to phase it in gradually.

Where I live in AZ it's almost impossible to get our local station KAZT let alone PBS in Phoenix with an indoor antenna!!! The mountains could be getting in the way. Where are the broadcast towers in Phoenix located? Sounds like KAET is doing what other so called HD channels are doing and that's showing SD content in so called HD, stretch and zoom.

Jeff

KAET is a service of Arizona State University. Not sure where they broadcast from.

As far as content, some like Masterpiece Classics and History Detectives are in HD, other shows I think are SD but for some reason, the screen size seems to be larger than 4x3 but not quite 16x9. Not sure how they do it for the older shows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)