PC Owners Thread

Numerous mods have already been released for No Man's Sky

http://nomansskymods.com/

I don't see much I would actually want to use yet but I do think mods will be the thing that keeps people coming back to this game for a long time. If I could get a mod that would just put more grass and other details like that onto some planets so they aren't so barren I would absolutely use it. I would also get a higher res texture mod and maybe something that puts more sentient aliens into the world even if they aren't doing anything but walking around.

Intel released some interesting notes about their 7th gen processors. Probably the biggest bit of news is how much better it'll handle 4K video over its predecessors.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/30/intel-7th-generation-core-cpus/

I was nearly all set to build my new gaming PC as a Christmas gift to myself, but it looks like I'll have to put that off until we get some benchmarks from these new processors. Even if the verdict is that the new processors aren't worth it (Hell my system is rocking a 2nd Gen chip and it still runs great considering the age) a new generation likely means a drop in price of last gen.

Intel released some interesting notes about their 7th gen processors. Probably the biggest bit of news is how much better it'll handle 4K video over its predecessors.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/30/intel-7th-generation-core-cpus/

I was nearly all set to build my new gaming PC as a Christmas gift to myself, but it looks like I'll have to put that off until we get some benchmarks from these new processors. Even if the verdict is that the new processors aren't worth it (Hell my system is rocking a 2nd Gen chip and it still runs great considering the age) a new generation likely means a drop in price of last gen.

With a modern i5 the GPU is pretty much always going to be the limiting factor, even if you have a relatively high end GPU like my 1070. Your i5 2500k still holds up surprisingly well for gaming but probably not so well for gaming and recording your gameplay at the same time.

I'm running a 4th gen i5 4690k and I'm really happy with it.My particular chip was efficient enough that I was actually able to decrease the voltage (lower temperatures) while still overclocking it from the stock 3.5GHz up to 4.0GHz. With a very small voltage increase I was able to get all the way up to a stable 4.6GHz while still remaining in a good temperature zone.

Because I haven't found a single game that the i5 4690k can't keep up with at stock speeds I'm sticking with my modest, undervolted 4GHz overclock for now. Unless PC gaming drastically changes this CPU will last me at least until I upgrade my GPU again in a few years. My guess is that it will be able to handle gaming with whatever my next GPU is too if I push it back to the more aggressive 4.6GHz overclock. I'll at least be giving that a shot before I even think about buying a new CPU.

Your i5 2500k still holds up surprisingly well for gaming but probably not so well for gaming and recording your gameplay at the same time.
Actually for recording it works quite well. The only issues I've really run into is with streaming, which is likely because that can't be completely offloaded to the GPU like the pure recording can. Trying to run the game while rendering video at the same time has run into issues. I'm likely not going to do streaming anymore because even with 720p and only 30 FPS, I still get multiple hiccups, especially when stuff busy on screen. I don't notice it while I'm gaming. It only comes up on the actual archived stream later on YouTube. Maybe Twitch would prove different but I doubt it's the streaming service causing the issue.

Depending on how my YouTube/Media Creation stuff pans out I may have to get a modern i7 if for no other reason than to help with processing and rendering that. With video processing/rendering my 2500k runs like a 386. Yes it's because the processor is so old, but I'd also like to future proof myself as much as possible. I did a pretty good job with my 2500k, and hopefully I can have a repeat.

Actually for recording it works quite well. The only issues I've really run into is with streaming, which is likely because that can't be completely offloaded to the GPU like the pure recording can.

It actually can. If you use Nvidia Shadowplay recording and streaming are handled the exact same way. They are both done by the hardware encoder built into your GPU. Of course, Shadowplay only streams to Twitch and you want to Stream to Youtube. Shadowplay also has it's issues. When I briefly messed with it I found out that there was no way to manually name your streams. If I am playing Overwatch it automatically names my stream Overwatch I Powered by GeForce GTX. I watched a couple archives though and the quality was good with no hitching at all.

When I did some research on this I found out that OBS can use the hardware encoder built into Nvidia GPUs the same way Shadowplay does. You just have to turn on NVENC encoding in the OBS settings instead of x264 which uses your CPU to do the encoding. If you did this I doubt you would see any of the hitching you are seeing with your current settings.

The downside to this is that I have read that for some reason the image doesn't look as good when people use hardware encoding on OBS as it does using the same hardware though Shadowplay directly. I don't know if this is actually true but I think it's worth trying if you want to give streaming another shot.

If the quality isn't up to par then a new i7 would probably be the answer.

Well at this point a new processor is needed anyways. Like I said, my computer and case simply can't take anymore changes. Easier to start fresh, not to mention it means I can now convert my existing gaming PC to a pure HTPC.

I'll look into the Hardware NVEC encoding. Maybe try it during our next Overwatch game. Not going to bother during the Battlefield 1 beta. I'll just record that and post it later.

Well at this point a new processor is needed anyways. Like I said, my computer and case simply can't take anymore changes. Easier to start fresh, not to mention it means I can now convert my existing gaming PC to a pure HTPC.

I'll look into the Hardware NVEC encoding. Maybe try it during our next Overwatch game. Not going to bother during the Battlefield 1 beta. I'll just record that and post it later.

What GPU are you planning for this new build? New monitor time?

What GPU are you planning for this new build? New monitor time?
More than likely a 1070. And I'll be getting a new monitor as well because my Plasma isn't going to cut it. Probably will go for more 144hz as opposed to a pure 4K monitor.

Tomorrow (sadly) marks the Half Life Tipping Point..

WhqWiCT.jpg

The new Bioshock Remasters are coming this Thursday (9/15.) For PC users, the process to get Remasters are easy. As long as you have the games in your library, you'll get the updated versions as well.

https://www.destructoid.com/upgrading-to-the-bioshock-remasters-on-pc-is-easy-enough-385911.phtml

Given that we have about a 1 month lull between then and the October Deluge of games, looks like it may be a good time to go back to Rapture. Also looking forward to the Director's Commentary.

I'm looking forward to finally finishing Bioshock 1. For some reason I have started that game 4 or 5 times but never actually completed it. I'll give it another attempt when the remastered version unlocks.

You can change your Battle.Net BattleTag for a mere $10.

https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/battle-tag-name-change

This must be new. As of a few months ago it was free. I changed my Battle.net tag right before Overwatch came out. I did it at the same time I changed my name on Steam. King3pj was the login assigned to me when I went to college. I ended up using it everywhere I had to make an account after that because it was always available and I didn't care about my online name. I recently changed my user name on Steam and Battle.net to match my Xbox gamertag (PatJK25) because it felt like a more natural (and less egotistical) name for people to call me. I definitely didn't pay any money when I made that change.

Edit: At the bottom of that page it says the first name change is free. This must be how I changed mine. I think Xbox charges the same $10 fee to change your gamertag and they don't give you the first one free. I remember doing that when I first got my 360.

Gears of War 4 on PC will have Split Screen Co-Op.

http://www.pcgamer.com/gears-of-war-4s-campaign-will-have-split-screen-co-op-on-pc/

Have to say I am looking forward to delving back into the Gears universe after the king3pj and I's trilogy run a while back. And I'm definitely interested to see how Cross Play works, if it even does.

I've already got it preordered. I'm definitely planning on playing it on PC but if cross play doesn't work as advertised it's nice to know the Xbox One version is included. I guess I'll just have to play Horde mode for a few days while you wait for your copy to show up from Gamefly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)