PC Owners Thread

...OR you could cancel your preorders. You don't get charged until those games are released.

I bought Arkham Knight from Green Man Gaming and Witcher 3 from Steam. If I can cancel those pre-orders that would be the ideal option. I know you can right up to release date with stores like Gamestop and Amazon but I thought digital pre-orderes were usually final. I'll have to look into this.

I bought Arkham Knight from Green Man Gaming and Witcher 3 from Steam. If I can cancel those pre-orders that would be the ideal option. I know you can right up to release date with stores like Gamestop and Amazon but I thought digital pre-orderes were usually final. I'll have to look into this.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/24/5342672/steam-cancel-pre-orders-refund

http://www.greenmangaming.com/about/refund-policy/

It does look like the Steam isn't a real REFUND, but instead they give you Steam Wallet Credit. Yeah that isn't as nice as a true refund, but it's not like you're never going to purchase stuff on Steam again.

Reactions: king3pj

Nice! I already got The Witcher 3 refund processed on Steam. They only refund directly to your Steam wallet but I'm sure I will have a use for that $47 sometime in the near future. It looks like GMG will refund directly back to the credit card. I'm just trying to figure out exactly how to request the refund. I see a lot of places on their site saying it's possible but none saying how to actually do it.

Edit: I think I'm going to have to make a call to support. The bummer is that this is a UK based company and they don't have a number setup for US customers. I'm going to have to make an international call where I might be put on hold for quite a while. I'm going to dig a bit more and see if I can find an electronic method first.

Well I feel a little dirty inside but I just ordered the $440 worth of parts required to make full use of my GTX 970s in SLI. I should have everything by Wednesday and then it's just a mater of putting it all together. Since I have to rip out the motherboard and power supply this will essentially be like building a completely new computer.

I am going to reuse my current 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 8GB of RAM, and my Hyper EVO 212 CPU cooler but since the power supply and motherboard need to be pulled this will be just as much work as when I originally built it.

It may even be a little more work since I'm not sure how to go about the OS install. I doubt I can just plug my drives in with their current Windows 8.1 installations with a completely new motherboard and CPU. That would be great but I'm assuming switching from an AMD chipset to Intel will require a new installation of Windows. If I do that I'm not sure what happens to all my custom directories on the SSD and HDD. I'm hoping this won't require me to completely format both drives.

Wow... You are an internet Ninja!

Edit: Both refunds have been processed now. Steam refunded to my Steam Wallet and Green Man Gaming is refunding it back to my credit card.
jeremiah_johnson_nodding.gif

Turns out that it would have been a little awkward trying to sell my promotional codes for Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight so it's a good thing I was able to get refunds on my pre-orders. The keys they give you as part of this promotion aren't redeemable directly on Steam and GOG. You have to make an account on Nvidia's website, redeem the promo codes, and then pair your Nvidia account with your Steam and GOG accounts.

I was never actually given a Steam or GOG key that could easily be sold. The games redeem directly to your account from Nvidia's website just like Humble Bundle was doing a a while back. I suppose I could have sold the Nvida promo codes but it's an extra step that wouldn't work well with most 3rd party seller sites.

[GALLERY=media, 93]Rebuild by king3pj posted May 14, 2015 at 9:27 AM[/GALLERY]

I spent my entire evening pulling out my old components and then rebuilding my computer. I was happy to see that it posted and let me do a clean Windows install on the first try. On my last build a few years ago I had knocked the ATX cable loose while trying to plug something else in and I couldn't figure out what the problem was until I had unplugged half the components again. Luckily there were no complications this time. I am really glad I went with a full size case. Two of those big cards would have been tough in anything smaller.

I didn't get a chance to test performance with any games before I went to bed. I did grab the Nvidia drivers, get SLI activated, and get some software installed. Everything should be good to go for some Shadow of Mordor and Far Cry 4 testing tonight. The real test will be Witcher 3 next week.

So while us American NVidia 900 series owners got copies of Witcher 3 and/or Arkham Knight, look what they get over in India..
byYcO5q.jpg

http://www.gog.com/

If the countdown timer on GOG.com is correct it looks like The Witcher 3 actually unlocks in less than 3 hours for PC gamers. For me, on eastern time, that means it unlocks at 7:00PM the day before the game is supposed to officially launch. I'm guessing this has to do with time zone differences because CD Projekt Red is a Polish company.

Whatever the reasoning, this is a nice surprise since I should actually have a few hours available to play tonight. I just need to make sure my pre-load is complete when I get home from work tonight.

I got a chance to play about 3 hours of The Witcher 3 tonight. It looks great and it's so much more streamlined than what I saw in my short time with Witcher 1. The voice acting is no longer terrible either.

I'm happy to say that the game stays locked at a perfect 60fps with everything maxed out on my new CPU and SLI 970s. From what I've read Nvidia SLI and AMD Crossfire aren't always supported on day one but AAA games usually have it ready. In fact I had a Nvidia driver update today that specifically said it was for Witcher 3 optimization and SLI support.

This game is really the first one I have tried where the second 970 lets me run at higher settings than I would be able to use with only one. Far Cry 4 and Shadow of Mordor only required about 40% usage on each card to max out. Witcher 3 is running each card at an average of 65%. If a game as demanding as Witcher 3 is only using 65% of each card I think I should be able to get a long life out of this setup.

2 970s better give you a damn long life. Arguably ONE 970 should give you at least a few years. I'll be driving ahead with my budget 960 for a while. Hopefully it'll last long like my 460 did.

Maybe I'll delve into Witcher 3 soon. I need to wait at least for the next major patch. Then again I should probably work on my backlog, and also if I wait I'll also be able to take advantage of the free DLC.

Still, this aspect of Witcher 3 has me psyched..

3rLhwAJ.png

2 970s better give you a damn long life. Arguably ONE 970 should give you at least a few years. I'll be driving ahead with my budget 960 for a while. Hopefully it'll last long like my 460 did.

Maybe I'll delve into Witcher 3 soon. I need to wait at least for the next major patch. Then again I should probably work on my backlog, and also if I wait I'll also be able to take advantage of the free DLC.

Still, this aspect of Witcher 3 has me psyched..

3rLhwAJ.png

Yep, that was one of the first things I noticed. As soon as you start to sprint on horse or on foot the person you are following does the same. Another cool feature is that if you just hold down the run button while you are on a road the horse will automatically follow it.

The only game I usually play is the Gran Turismo series on my PlayStation 3. Well, as I suspected, the next version in the series will only work on a PlayStation 4. I have ZERO interest in buying a PS4!

So, what racing games do any of you recommend for a PC? I was thinking I would start out with Project CARS.

I have a GTX 960, a PA328Q 32" 4 monitor, and I got the drivers working to use my Logitech Racing Wheel and PS3 controllers on my PC. I could upgrade my video card if necessary. I have never needed performance out of a video card, so I figured the 960 would last me a while since I can drive two 4k monitors with it. Well, now I want to play games.

The only game I usually play is the Gran Turismo series on my PlayStation 3. Well, as I suspected, the next version in the series will only work on a PlayStation 4. I have ZERO interest in buying a PS4!

So, what racing games do any of you recommend for a PC? I was thinking I would start out with Project CARS.

I have a GTX 960, a PA328Q 32" 4 monitor, and I got the drivers working to use my Logitech Racing Wheel and PS3 controllers on my PC. I could upgrade my video card if necessary. I have never needed performance out of a video card, so I figured the 960 would last me a while since I can drive two 4k monitors with it. Well, now I want to play games.

I've never played it myself but I have heard lots of good things about Project Cars. If you are into sim racers that cover a wide spectrum of car types this is probably your choice.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234630/

Assetto Corsa has a higher user rating on Steam than Project Cars but it's a smaller game with less car choices.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244210/?snr=1_5_9__300

If you are into more specific things like Formula 1 or Rally cars there are games on PC that only focus on that type of racing.

Your 960 is well above the recommended specs for Project Cars. It's many times more powerful than the PS3 you were using and it's more powerful than the PS4 too. Assuming you also have a decent CPU and 8GB of RAM your PC should be a better place to play games than either of the new consoles.

Here is the thing though. Gaming at 4K on one monitor isn't really feasible on new games unless you are willing to spend nearly $700 for a GTX 980Ti. Even then you might have to turn settings down on lots of the newest games. Only way around that would be getting two of them to run in SLI.

Some games (especially racing games) do support multi monitor setups but I don't think there is a GPU in existence that can handle games like Project Cars on two 4K monitors.

Unless you are willing to buy more graphics power you are going to have to run on one monitor at a lower resolution like 1920 x 1080 (1080p). You would have to tinker with the game settings until you find a resolution you like that still provides playable framerates. You can still leave the other monitor on for things like web browsing but the game would confined to one monitor.

Another option is keeping the resolution at 3840 x 2160 (4K) but turning all the game's settings down. It will still look better than what you are used to on PS3 but my guess is that it won't look as good as the settings maxed out at 1920 x 1080 would.

Edit: to be clear you don't need a $700 GPU to game at 4K if you are willing to turn other settings down to low or medium. Things like anti aliasing aren't as important at resolutions that high and they take up quite a bit of performance. You are going to have to make a lot of sacrifices at 4K to get a playable framerate on a 960 though.

On some games it won't be possible especially if you have the 2GB VRAM version of the 960.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)