Peacock becomes home of first-ever exclusive live streamed NFL playoff game

Hyper Casey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 1, 2010
Mi
Peacock will become the home to the first-ever exclusive live streamed NFL Playoff game, presenting an NFL Wild Card Playoff in prime time on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024, it was announced today by NBCUniversal and the NFL.

The Peacock exclusive Wild Card game will immediately follow a late afternoon NFL Wild Card Playoff game on NBC and Peacock (4:30 p.m. ET on Sat. Jan. 13).

Full story here:

8 Exclusive Big Ten Football games
2 NFL Games, one a playoff game, both exclusive.
‘Then Sunday Night Football and other College Games on both NBC and Peacock.

Really counting on Football to sell subscriptions.

A little more info:

The Peacock exclusive game on Jan. 13 will start at 8:15 or 8:30 p.m. ET. The game will be broadcast on NBC stations in the markets of the two teams. It will also be available on mobile devices through the NFL+ package. It will be preceded by a late afternoon playoff game on NBC and Peacock that will kick off at 4:30 p.m. ET.

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed, but The Wall Street Journal reported that it's a one-year deal with the league receiving approximately $110 million.

Under the NFL's contract, each of the four broadcast partners -- NBC, CBS, Fox and ESPN/ABC -- get at least one wild-card game. Of the two remaining games, one rotates each year between NBC, CBS and Fox, while the other will likely be up for bid each year. That means Amazon or ESPN+ could eventually be in the running for a future postseason game.

Peacock to exclusively carry NFL playoff game

Reactions: ShawnHill1
The NFL will, and should, take heat on this. Even ESPN playoff games are simulcasted on ABC, nationwide. There has NEVER been an NFL playoff game on pay-TV, which is what Peacock is. Never.

The next city hit up to raise taxes to build the owners a new studio, I mean stadium, should take this to heart. No NFL playoffs on pay-TV.

A little more info:

The Peacock exclusive game on Jan. 13 will start at 8:15 or 8:30 p.m. ET. The game will be broadcast on NBC stations in the markets of the two teams. It will also be available on mobile devices through the NFL+ package. It will be preceded by a late afternoon playoff game on NBC and Peacock that will kick off at 4:30 p.m. ET.

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed, but The Wall Street Journal reported that it's a one-year deal with the league receiving approximately $110 million.

Under the NFL's contract, each of the four broadcast partners -- NBC, CBS, Fox and ESPN/ABC -- get at least one wild-card game. Of the two remaining games, one rotates each year between NBC, CBS and Fox, while the other will likely be up for bid each year. That means Amazon or ESPN+ could eventually be in the running for a future postseason game.

Peacock to exclusively carry NFL playoff game
The NFL will, and should, take heat on this. Even ESPN playoff games are simulcasted on ABC, nationwide. There has NEVER been an NFL playoff game on pay-TV, which is what Peacock is. Never.

The next city hit up to raise taxes to build the owners a new studio, I mean stadium, should take this to heart. No NFL playoffs on pay-TV.

This is what the NFL does, put it on a service that only has 25 Million subscribers ( all the free ones will be gone when this game is on) just because it offered the biggest check.

The next time someone posts the NFL cares about how many watch, I will use this deal as a example that they do not.

And this is a dumb deal on NBC/Peacock part, 2 exclusive NFL games this year will not move the subscriber numbers much, a season yes.

All TV is paid TV. There is no such thing as a free TV service anymore.

All TV is paid TV. There is no such thing as a free TV service anymore.
Really?

This guy disagrees:

uN1g0ao7Lh8ihwQzQpagVRMYlDDjSMs8EQeiRt9eE8wC_waKUSiEdMa5cIH0DPuIEhMVJ4paLg=s176-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj

Well, for me they are, indeed, useless but in my DMA if I lived in San Francisco they would still work for ABC and NBC which are Hi VHF channels.
Unless you live close by with a good line of site it's great. Not for most people anymore.

Ya, and those rabbit ears are useless now.
Nope. I get NBC, ABC, Fox, CBS, CW, and PBS; plus the (99% worthless, I admit) rerun wad channels MeTV, Dabl, Circle, Justice, Antenna TV, Catchy Comedy, Comet, Charge, TBD, Escape, Grit, Rewind TV, Ion, Court TV, Bounce, Laff, Defy, H&I, Quest, and This; plus the trashsport channel Stadium, leftist news commentary channel Newsy; home shopping scam channels, JTV, HSN and QVC; and PBS World and PBS Kids, all on a $40 set of "rabbit ears". I then connect that to a box I bought on Amazon for less than $150 that streams the channels to an app so I don't have to wire the antenna to each TV and I can also watch on my phone, plus it records. We have a whole forum on the subject.

Yes, I pay for DirecTV. That is my choice. Life is too short to do otherwise. But it brings up two important points.

First, most people can get TV, for free, with an antenna. Yes, there are people who cannot, and Big Media and the lapdog FCC should have fixed that decades ago, but most people can. And from Day One to next January, this has included the NFL Playoffs. Now, to pump up its money losing Peacock service, whose offering (which are, well, weird) the vast majority of Americans have reviewed and said no thank you to, that will be no longer the case. That is called "greed" and, despite the movie tag line, greed is not good.

But it goes beyond that. Sports are now a spread out on different services. Before, with the consumer protected by the bundle, one bill, one service, all the sports. Affordable. The consumer, protected. Now, every service has sports, except to the only profit making one (Netflix) and stand along Hulu (which most people buy the set, which includes ESPN+).

I hear this complaint all the time in the lounge I hang out at and on line in other sites. "I just want to pay for _______ball one time." People don't like the fact that one needs six services to just get the sports. Plus access to the OTA networks, plus access to real ESPN (not plus) and its imitators, and the local RSN AKA a linear TV subscription.

Second, read these pages, go back a few years. The whole cord cutting (actually cord switching, true cord cutters live off antennas, YouTube, Rumble and FAST) was getting away from this "sports tax". It is true that MOST people really don't like sports. Lots of people know people in their lives who really don't like sports, but who pay, or used to pay, for linear TV. I know plenty. Cord switching was a smart move, in the short run, for those people. If you don't like sports, making do with just streaming can save you a little money.

Well, the sports tax is back. Bigger than ever. On every service, but one. All I can say is welcome home and see I told you so.

Reactions: djont57
Why were sports over the air 50 years ago, because that's all there was. ESPN is not over the air, why should that be any different from Peacock.

Why were sports over the air 50 years ago, because that's all there was. ESPN is not over the air, why should that be any different from Peacock.
ESPN was a Channel you got on the Cable/ Sat package.
Peacock is NOT a Channel ... its a provider of channels (actually shows, not channels)

I think you pay for the whole suite of channels. It's not broken out per channel.
I know that, just pointing out how much ESPN is and what that does to the monthly bill.

For a channel that only gets good rating during Football season.