Personal Computer Game News

Counter-Strike' player tricks cheaters into getting banned

CS use to be fun but the cheating got way out of control but glad some got busted..

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/03/counter-strike-hack-bans/

Cheating has plagued the various incarnations of Counter-Strike practically since its servers went online in 1999 and one resourceful Redditor has had enough. User AndroidL created a trio of fake hacks for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive that promised everything from unlimited ammo and health to some exotic viewing angles that wouldn't otherwise be possible. Except instead of those exploits, the some 5,500 folks who downloaded them got a hell of a surprise: unwanted attention from Valve's Anti Cheatsystem on Steam.

Even better is that AndroidL took a handful of screenshots of the hackers complaining about their accounts being marked as untrustworthy and later banned, or banned immediately after playing with the hacks installed. The schadenfreude is real here, folks. If you'd like to join in, the Reddit thread is rife with folks having a good chuckle at the lack of self-awareness of the hackers who complain about their accounts being targeted because they cheated, too.

The reality, though, is that thousands of banned accounts are basically a drop in the bucket. To that end, AndroidL has a message: "I'll look into doing this sort of thing again." Consider yourself warned, Counter-Strikene'er-do-wells.

The new Doom is finally launching on May 13th

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/4/10915494/doom-release-date-ps4-xbox-one-pc

After years in development, the reboot of the Doom franchise finally has a release date: May 13th. Publisher Bethesda announced the news this morning with a slick new trailer showing off elements of the shooter's grisly campaign. As you'd imagine, the trailer features lots of demons, lots of shotguns, and lots of demons blown apart by shotguns. The reboot is meant to be a return to form for the genre-defining series, which hasn't seen a new entry since 2004's Doom 3, which received a mixed reaction at launch. The game has had an infamously troubled development process, going through multiple iterations over the years, before landing on the look and feel found in the trailer above. In addition to the single-player campaign, the game will also include multiplayer modes and a new editor so players can create their own maps. When it does finally launch in May, Doomwill be available on the PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

The new Doom is finally launching on May 13th

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/4/10915494/doom-release-date-ps4-xbox-one-pc

After years in development, the reboot of the Doom franchise finally has a release date: May 13th. Publisher Bethesda announced the news this morning with a slick new trailer showing off elements of the shooter's grisly campaign. As you'd imagine, the trailer features lots of demons, lots of shotguns, and lots of demons blown apart by shotguns. The reboot is meant to be a return to form for the genre-defining series, which hasn't seen a new entry since 2004's Doom 3, which received a mixed reaction at launch. The game has had an infamously troubled development process, going through multiple iterations over the years, before landing on the look and feel found in the trailer above. In addition to the single-player campaign, the game will also include multiplayer modes and a new editor so players can create their own maps. When it does finally launch in May, Doomwill be available on the PS4, Xbox One, and PC.
Well first off, if you want to get technical the last Doom game was 2005's Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil.
I always thought that Doom 3 was criticized too much when it came out. Maybe my memory is just bad but I really liked the whole dynamic of using flashlights everywhere and having to quickly switch between that and a gun. I guess I understand why people found that annoying given that the original Doom(s) were basically just enemy spamming games as opposed to survival horror, but I enjoyed it.

Here's the trailer:

I have to say that after seeing that, I think I know what I'm going to spend my GMG credits on. I KNOW they're going to have some sort of good deal before the game comes out so I'll probably end up paying less than $10 for it.

Well first off, if you want to get technical the last Doom game was 2005's Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil.
I always thought that Doom 3 was criticized too much when it came out. Maybe my memory is just bad but I really liked the whole dynamic of using flashlights everywhere and having to quickly switch between that and a gun. I guess I understand why people found that annoying given that the original Doom(s) were basically just enemy spamming games as opposed to survival horror, but I enjoyed it.

Here's the trailer:

I have to say that after seeing that, I think I know what I'm going to spend my GMG credits on. I KNOW they're going to have some sort of good deal before the game comes out so I'll probably end up paying less than $10 for it.

Yeah it don't look to bad and it seems like they tried to keep some of the old original feel of the old Doom but we will see how it does... :)

I've never played a Doom game (didn't have a gaming PC when the original came out). I thought the E3 trailer looked pretty cool though.

Doom really was (no pun intended) a game changer. I mean in the PC gaming timeline you really can segregate history into "Before Doom" and "After Doom." I remember playing it in like 5th grade on my old Black & White Passive Matrix IBM (when they still owned it) ThinkPad. Of course once I hooked it up to a color monitor then everything changed. I tried the shareware version first (remember that archaic concept?) and remember being on the phone ordering the full version, which was punnily the release of version 1.666 (and it had just been released so they said it may be delayed due to high demand.)

I know many people point to Wolfenstein 3D as the real game changer as it came before and was by the same company, but Doom had such a huge impact and its MOD ability was almost second to none. Hell Doom came out nearly 23 years ago and people are STILL modifying it. Yeah, the game hasn't aged as gracefully as something like Half-Life, but anyone with a love for FPS games owes it to themselves to play the game, much like those with a love for movies has a list of "must watch" movies as well.

Yes, for me Wolfenstein 3D was the game changer. I played that game a lot. Next to Civilization it would be the second most played game that I ever owned.

I've never played a Wolfenstein game besides The New Order from a couple years ago either. I missed out on basically every PC game up until 2012.

Well Conan O Brien's Clueless Gamer segment just did the new Doom on Xbox One.

I have to say, if it looks/runs this well on the One, then I'm REALLY looking forward to how well it'll run on my PC. Then again, this may not always be a good indicator. I mean they also did Tony Hawk 5 and while that looked okay for them it was released playing like absolute dogsh*t, but I trust Bethesda and Id much more than I do Activision and whatever company developed THPS5.

Still, I love to absolute brutality that this game displays. I hope they were able to program it to mix things up, so you get some variations and not just the same 3-4 kill animations over and over again like in Ryse.

Looks cool. It is a little surprising to see the game already being played and promoted on Conan when it doesn't come out until May though.

I have that game for my Gamecube. I played that a lot in college.
Yes, and it's a shame that between it being ported to the PS2, PS3 and then having that PS3 port ported to the PC that the original still is the best experience.

Looks cool. It is a little surprising to see the game already being played and promoted on Conan when it doesn't come out until May though.
No now it makes sense since they announced the release date and put up preorders. Show off more of the game to entice players. Hell it worked with me. Now I'm really psyched to play this thing, assuming they don't f it up

Titanfall 2 writer confirms single-player campaign, suggests TV series in the works

http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/7/10931336/titanfall-2-single-player-campaign-tv-series

Titanfall 2 will have a single-player campaign, the game's lead writer confirmed for Forbes in an interview. Moreover, developing studio Respawn Entertainment is looking into a companion TV series about Titanfall, to premiere when the game launches.

In a podcast interview about a year ago, Titanfall's community manager hinted at a traditional campaign. Jesse Stern has confirmed to Forbes that is a part of the game.

Stern's writing credits include Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 in addition to a five-year stint on the CBS crime drama NCIS. He told Forbes that he is working with Lionsgate TV on a series set in Titanfall's sci-fi world.

Stern acknowledged that the cost of doing so could be large, so the TV plans do not seem to have a formal commitment yet.

Titanfall 2, however, is fully a go for Respawn Entertainment and publisher Electronic Arts, launching sometime before March 2017. Titanfall 2 will not be exclusive to the Xbox One, meaning this project should bring in more money than its predecessor and thus, have more resoures for development.

Forbes has a lot more in its conversation with Stern about his vision for the Titanfall universe and how to communicate that to players, who he suggests were a little disconnected from that world in a multiplayer-only Titanfall.

Polygon Backstory is an in-depth conversation celebrating the games we love and play. This week's guest is Andrew Groen, whose new book Empires of Eve: A History of the Great Wars of Eve Online is the first attempt to document the history of a virtual world.

Good to know. I get the feeling that Titanfall didn't set the world on fire like they thought it would with its multiplayer only focus. I mean it's almost like they tried to whore out the original to get people to keep playing it. It had insane sales, then they made all the DLC free, THEN they put it in the EA Vault so you could play for free with membership, etc. Don't get me wrong, TF grew on me, but I'm not exactly head over heels for it. I really like Frontier Defense only because I love horde mode gameplay, and after I got another copy of Gears of War 2, the innovators of the concept, my TF play has dwindled to almost nothing.

Cliffy B mentioned recently that Single Player campaigns take up 80% of development and then don't last long, hence why many companies are abandoning it. Fair enough and there's truth to that statement, but as Angry Joe mentions here (NSFW, skip to 34:35 if it doesn't start at right place) these companies aren't (yet) giving us a more rich and fulfilling multiplayer experience with all this supposed saved money and resources. I mean, is ANYONE playing Evolve anymore other than the hardcore players who have already thrown in 100+ hours of game time? Probably not, and I don't see any newcomers in the near future considering the insane amount of DLC you have to get in order to get the full experience.

The fact that the guy in charge of it is the guy in charge of MW 1 and 2's stories is encouraging and discouraging at the same time. MW 1's story was very good but MW 2's story was just a short mess. Hopefully he'll write more like the former.

I'm interested in another Titanfall game and a campaign could be cool if done well. The lack of a campaign in the first Titanfall didn't really bother me though.

Well this came out of nowhere. Apparently there's a PC version of Quantum Break coming on the same day as the One version. Not only that, but if you preorder a digital copy of the One version you get a FREE copy of the PC version (April 5 release, need to preorder by the 4th). Also if you get the One version you'll also get Alan Wake and its DLC (a VERY underrated game IMO. Preferably its a remake as opposed to just the 360 emulated version.)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/quantum-break-pc-version-confirmed/1100-6434694/

Super Nintendo Classic - Avail Sept 29

GameStop is bringing back game rentals (Seriously)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)