Personal Computer Game News

I'm all for Xbox One exclusives coming to PC, especially on day 1. I'm still not sure about this game though.

See Warcraft in theaters this summer and get a free copy of WoW with ALL the expansion packs?

http://www.pcgamer.com/warcraft-mov...utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgfb

And pay $15 per month to play it... Even with the game and all expansions free I have no interest in paying more than Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, and the same price as Gamefly every month for the right to play one game online. The fact that they even charge people for expansions when have been paying them $15 per month for 10+ years seems insane to me.

And pay $15 per month to play it... Even with the game and all expansions free I have no interest in paying more than Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, and the same price as Gamefly every month for the right to play one game online. The fact that they even charge people for expansions when have been paying them $15 per month for 10+ years seems insane to me.
Given the install base and people still playing it, looks like they got enough people to still do it. I'm sure that they already have plans to switch business models to more of a F2P one, but until they get a drastic negative change in player population I'm sure they're content to rake in nearly a billion dollars a year off of their model ($14/month (an average as you can get cheaper than $15) X 5.5 million X 12/month = $924,000,000)

Given the install base and people still playing it, looks like they got enough people to still do it. I'm sure that they already have plans to switch business models to more of a F2P one, but until they get a drastic negative change in player population I'm sure they're content to rake in nearly a billion dollars a year off of their model ($14/month (an average as you can get cheaper than $15) X 5.5 million X 12/month = $924,000,000)

Yeah, it's definitely a good business model if they can get people to do it. They obviously can. I just personally won't be buying in. It just seems like they are double dipping to me.

If you need a subscription to play it seems like they should include the content in that subscription. By that I mean the base game and all expansions. If they want to sell the game and expansions there shouldn't be a subscription.

That's just the opinion of someone who doesn't really play MMOs though. Obviously my opinion means nothing when millions of people have been playing WoW for over a decade.

I'm all for Xbox One exclusives coming to PC, especially on day 1. I'm still not sure about this game though.
Of and of COURSE the stupid One Fanboys are giving Phil Spencer crap for this decision, because apparently these people won't be able to eat food and their children will be forced to drink water from Flint, Michigan because QB is no longer exclusive to their own underpowered systems.

http://kotaku.com/there-s-no-downside-to-a-game-ditching-exclusivity-1758524448

Of and of COURSE the stupid One Fanboys are giving Phil Spencer crap for this decision, because apparently these people won't be able to eat food and their children will be forced to drink water from Flint, Michigan because QB is no longer exclusive to their own underpowered systems.

http://kotaku.com/there-s-no-downside-to-a-game-ditching-exclusivity-1758524448

People are ridiculous. Phil's answers summed things up pretty nicely. There is no downside to Quantum Break showing up on PC. It doesn't affect Xbox One owners in any way.

Also, I live about 30 minutes outside of Flint and went to private school inside the city limits growing up. That city was already taking a huge beating before the water crisis. Now it may as well be part of a third world country.

Luckily the city I live and work in is not part of the Flint water system and is much nicer in general.

Need for Speed on PC is coming March 15th, and the trailer looks like it was specifically made the tickle the nether regions of the members of the PC Gaming Master Race

GREAT news PC gamers! In case Steam, Origin, and uPlay weren't enough, we now have a FOURTH game store with it's own form of DRM coming!

http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/15/11000348/quantum-break-wont-be-available-on-steam

Don't forget Battlenet. That one is only a storefront/DRM for Blizzard games but Blizzard games are some of the most famous games on the PC platform. Anyone who wants to play WoW, Starcraft, Diablo, Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, or Overwatch also needs to have the Battlenet client installed.

It is getting a little ridiculous. My PC has Steam, Origin, uPlay, Battlenet, and GOG Galaxy installed. There is also the Windows Store/Xbox App built into the OS. It's certainly not a bad thing to have multiple options for buying your games and keeping Steam in check. The problem is that you don't get one integrated friends list and game library like console gamers are used to.

The Windows Store has actually been around since 2012 on Windows 8. It's just mostly been filled with crappy smartphone/tablet apps that were ported to PC until recently. The big change is that Quantum Break is one of the few major releases that is only available through the Windows Store. The non-Java, Windows 10 version of Minecraft is another Windows Store exclusive. I'm guessing this will become the norm for all Xbox exclusives that make their way to PC going forward like Gears Ultimate. These games were going to require Windows 10 anyways since they are DirectX 12 games.

Rise of the Tomb Raider and most of the other Microsoft published games are available through both Steam and the Windows Store. Windows Store is built into Windows 8 and Windows 10.

I've opened it a few times to look around and it seems a lot more limited than programs like Steam, Origin, and uPlay. There is the typical storefront setup but I haven't seen an actual library section. There also don't seem to be any kind of friends list or achievement functionality built into the store but there is the separate Xbox app on Windows 10 that will probably take over those duties.

The main difference between this and Games for Windows Live is that all of this stuff seems to just be part of the OS instead of a separate DRM platform you have to install. I would rather be able to get these games through Steam but if the choice is Windows Store exclusive or not on PC at all I'd rather have the Windows Store exclusives.

Don't forget Battlenet.
I knew I'd forget one. You can pin that one on lack of use. I haven't needed Battle.Net since I played the ORIGINAL Diablo on it back in the day. Actually I had it when I played the D3 beta for all of 10 minutes, but other than that I never needed it. Also, it should be noted that at least GoG Galaxy is completely optional and is just a content delivery service to automatically deliver updates/fixes to games.

I knew I'd forget one. You can pin that one on lack of use. I haven't needed Battle.Net since I played the ORIGINAL Diablo on it back in the day. Actually I had it when I played the D3 beta for all of 10 minutes, but other than that I never needed it. Also, it should be noted that at least GoG Galaxy is completely optional and is just a content delivery service to automatically deliver updates/fixes to games.

Yeah, I don't have to have GOG Galaxy but it's a convenience thing. When I was playing Witcher 3 a lot it was the easiest way to get all my game patches and free DLC installed. I could probably delete it now but since I don't have it start at Windows boot up it isn't really affecting anything so I just leave it on there.

A fan project has started to remake Star Wars: KOTOR in the Unreal 4 engine. Assuming they don't get shut down by Disney, I'd be amazed if they completed this before 2020. These remakes always sound fun and easy in theory but then when you start actually coding the damn things it can turn south pretty quickly. Still, I wish them the best. KOTOR is arguably the best Star Wars game ever made, setting the foundation for the Mass Effect series.

http://kotaku.com/fans-begin-projec..._source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

I played part of it. It is OUT there I have to say. Not bad, just out there. I'll get back to it eventually* but yeah I'm not firing it up again until the entire story is done.

*Hopefully

Street Fighter 5 was released on PC with some rather bizarre design decisions, most specifically the fact that it has no native DirectInput support, which essentially means that ONLY Xbox 360/One controllers work with the game, and PS4 controllers and Fighting sticks don't work unless you get a 3rd party app to translate the input into something the game supports. Oh, and of course the servers didn't work because why would they?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310950/?snr=1_5_1100__1100 ("Mixed" reviews to say the least)

Total Biscuit Port Report (Apparently a GTX 960 is the minimum to keep the game looking good.)

The game has been MetaBombed also.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2016/02/metabombed-street-fighter-v-is-an-incomplete-beta-game/

Last edited:
Black Ops 3 is getting a "Multiplayer Starter Pack" for $15 which is basically a stripped down version of the MP. More info here: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/84207/

If they start offering a starter pack like this at release of new COD games the people I play with would never buy the full game again. I would strongly consider going with this instead of the full game myself. We do screw around with Zombies mode in the Black Ops games but we spend 99% of our times with these games in the regular multiplayer mode.

Seriously, the only thing my friends would miss in most COD games by going with this package is the ability to prestige. I think they would easily get over that in exchange for paying $15 instead of $60.

The thing is I'm sure Activision is smart enough to know that a lot of people who buy their game every year are just like my friends. I can't imagine that they will start selling a $15 multiplayer only pack at release every year because many of their longtime, yearly customers would opt for that instead. Maybe this is something that will only hit 4 or 5 months after release to prevent that from happening.

Last edited:

Super Nintendo Classic - Avail Sept 29

GameStop is bringing back game rentals (Seriously)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)