Personal Computer Game News

It looks like the GOG Connect is working now. I was able to painlessly add my Steam games to my GoG Library.

Bad News: Mad Catz suffered nearly $12 million in this fiscal year due to Rock Band 4's awful sales.

Good News: They have to sell off $8.3 million in Rock band 4 inventory by September 6, so expect some REALLY cheap equipment in the coming months. I wouldn't be surprised to see a full band kit sell for $50, which I would TOTALLY jump on.

https://www.destructoid.com/rock-band-4-basically-capsized-mad-catz-365673.phtml

It looks like the GOG Connect is working now. I was able to painlessly add my Steam games to my GoG Library.

It might be worth checking the GOG Connect page again if you already did this. I just went back to it and it said I had 2 more games that were eligible that weren't picked up the first time for some reason.

Yeah it looks like they added a few games but none of them were ones I owned. I think they added the Broken Sword series. I have that but its not in my Steam library because I never redeemed the keys.

Blizzard ain't taking any crap from cheaters with Overwatch. Not only have they banned about 1,500 players, but they also released the usernames of the offenders.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/3/11851582/overwatch-cheaters-banned-blizzard

Given their 0 tolerance policy, I think I may be getting the Battle.Net authenticator. Don't want to have to go through this sort of policy in case my account got hacked.

Blizzard ain't taking any crap from cheaters with Overwatch. Not only have they banned about 1,500 players, but they also released the usernames of the offenders.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/3/11851582/overwatch-cheaters-banned-blizzard

Given their 0 tolerance policy, I think I may be getting the Battle.Net authenticator. Don't want to have to go through this sort of policy in case my account got hacked.

Yeah, I should probably do that myself. Not only do I have Overwatch tied to my account, I also have stuff on my account for Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3, StarCraft 2, and Hearthstone. I use the Steam Guard app on my phone to require authentication before logging in to my Steam account and before every purchase too.

I'm all for banning cheaters permanently as long as they have a reliable method of detecting them. It becomes a problem if we start getting reports of false positives but until that happens I say go for it.

Edit: I just started reading through the cheating forum linked in that article and it's pretty entertaining.

Turns out Doom 4's multiplayer, especially on PC, is a mess, with rampant cheating and lack of controls. In response, id software is taking back control of MP and is implementing numerous fixes.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-09-id-takes-back-control-of-doom-broken-multiplayer-on-pc

Well I don't see their season pass selling many copies. I never hear anyone talk about the multiplayer. I played it a total of two times and haven't even thought about touching it since. If I want to play a multiplayer game I'd rather play Overwatch or Rocket League.

Well like I said, it's a shame that they didn't choose to just do old style Doom/Quake MP for their game. I get the feeling that Bethesda passed down the ruling for this completely out of style MP mode with the hopes of making more money off of it, because nowadays not only do almost all games need a MP mode, but they need to put in DLC or microtransactions. Given that NO OTHER id based shooters have had these, putting them into Doom 4 just doesn't feel right. And as I said, nearly everything it does do in MP, other games do better. However, very few games do what the single player campaign of Doom 4 does, which is provide incredibly satisfying unrealistic bloody combat.

Well like I said, it's a shame that they didn't choose to just do old style Doom/Quake MP for their game. I get the feeling that Bethesda passed down the ruling for this completely out of style MP mode with the hopes of making more money off of it, because nowadays not only do almost all games need a MP mode, but they need to put in DLC or microtransactions. Given that NO OTHER id based shooters have had these, putting them into Doom 4 just doesn't feel right. And as I said, nearly everything it does do in MP, other games do better. However, very few games do what the single player campaign of Doom 4 does, which is provide incredibly satisfying unrealistic bloody combat.

I don't know if it was purely Bethesda. I'm sure they had a part in it but remember that this is the same publisher that let Wolfenstein: The New Order ship with no multiplayer or season pass in an era where that was pretty much unheard of for a FPS.

Yeah, they released The Old Blood later but it was sold as a stand alone game and quite a bit meatier than most DLC. At $20 it was also cheaper than most season passes.

I don't know if it was purely Bethesda. I'm sure they had a part in it but remember that this is the same publisher that let Wolfenstein: The New Order ship with no multiplayer or season pass in an era where that was pretty much unheard of for a FPS.

Yeah, they released The Old Blood later but it was sold as a stand alone game and quite a bit meatier than most DLC. At $20 it was also cheaper than most season passes.
Fair enough, but don't forget this is also the same Bethesda that tried to charge for Mods, and we all know how well THAT went over.

The fact of the matter is that people at Bethesda should have known that fans of Doom were NOT going to like the Multiplayer they presented us. This really goes to a point (I'm going to go off on a slight tangent here) that game executives really are f**king idiots. It's because of game executives that we didn't have any good horror games last generation and why we were inundated with CoD style, brown, gritty, basic progression shooters. Game executives thought that people wouldn't want a World War 1 based Battlefield game (the trailer alone is one of the highest rated trailers ever). Game executives thought that gamers didn't want a game like Dark Souls. Hell, Until Dawn BARELY got made and Sony was shocked that it did so well (yeah, who the hell would want to play an interactive horror movie??). This is all indicative of a greater problem in the world of gaming, in that those in charge of deciding what games are made are COMPLETELY out of touch with what their audience really wants, which is REALLY sad when you think about it. Hell, Microsoft will likely NEVER recover from the damage they suffered from the early marketing of the One, where they thought that gamers wanted an entertainment system that also played games, when instead all they wanted was something that played games (AKA the PS4.)

Here's a video explaining more in depth the points I made above (NSFW Language)

Back OT, I do hope that something is salvaged from the Doom 4 MP mess and it turns into something that is played and enjoyed. Honestly what they should do is just open the Mod Workshop and let people create their own old-style doom games with all the new weapons. That would be a HUGE boon for the game to have both solid SP and MP. Wouldn't be the first time Modders made a game better than the original developers..

I hope it can be turned into something good too. If nothing else it would be free entertainment from something I never planned on playing. I would have been totally fine if they followed the Wolfenstein formula and didn't even include multiplayer.

Then again, I have no nostalgia for old Id multiplayer so it wasn't something I was really looking for. If they could create a multiplayer mode that is as much fun as the campaign it would definitely be worth playing. I never knew I wanted a Doom style campaign before this game either so I would be happy to discover something new.

I never knew I wanted a Doom style campaign before this game either so I would be happy to discover something new.

If you want that, then please, for yourself and others, pick up Painkiller when it goes on sale. It'll be available either on the GoG sale or the Steam Summer sale. Trust me when I say you won't regret it.

I'll look into it. I have seen bundle prices for several games in that series before.

Right but all you really need is the Painkiller: Black Edition. The original one. I mean I can't speak to the sequels, but I do know that the remake of the original wasn't received very well.

Looks like Microsoft is going to stop being stupid and will begin selling their games on Steam.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...to-sell-windows-games-not-just-its-own-store/

This is good news but I'm actually pretty surprised to hear it. With their Play Anywhere program being tied to all the big upcoming Microsoft published games I think their Windows 10 Store was just about to start seeing some major growth.
Maybe that really only applies to the relatively small number of people who play games on both Xbox One and PC though.

I'm guessing I will still end up buying games like Gears 4 through the Windows 10 Store even if it is also available on Steam. The reasoning is that I will also get the Xbox One version if I do it that way and I highly doubt the cross-buy system will work for people who choose to buy through Steam.

I do think it's funny that Spencer pointed out how Killer Instinct and Forza 6 Apex did really well but Quantum Break and Gears Ultimate did not. I don't think it's a big surprise that people were willing to try out the Windows 10 Store for free to play games but not shell out $40-$60 on it.

Well it also didn't help that Gears and QB ran like absolute sh*t when they first came out, partly because of v-sync restrictions and no SLI Support.

Super Nintendo Classic - Avail Sept 29

GameStop is bringing back game rentals (Seriously)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)