Pete Rose

True, but it was considered acceptable back then. Do you think Bob Gibson should be in the HOF? He intentionally threw at batter's heads.

This day 29 years ago Pete Rose broke Ty Cobb's All-Time hits record.

Reactions: Jimbo
I think Rose should be let in but Rose screwed himself. If he admitted what he did and not treat MLB like they were this terrible enterprise, than he probably would be in the Hall. But there was a lot of people that were on his side that Rose bascially lied to them.

" For 26 years, the notebook has remained under court-ordered seal and is currently stored in the National Archives' New York office, where officials have declined requests to release it publicly"

Someone doesnt like Rose!!

Anywho, I couldn't care less if the man bet on his mother giving birth to a two-headed Donkey...He paid the price....literally and figuratively.
Many many many pro athletes have done much worse than this and got away with far less of a punishment..if any.

Unless he intentionally played poorly and bet against his own team...its all water under the bridge.

" For 26 years, the notebook has remained under court-ordered seal and is currently stored in the National Archives' New York office, where officials have declined requests to release it publicly"

Someone doesnt like Rose!!

Anywho, I couldn't care less if the man bet on his mother giving birth to a two-headed Donkey...He paid the price....literally and figuratively.
Many many many pro athletes have done much worse than this and got away with far less of a punishment..if any.

Unless he intentionally played poorly and bet against his own team...its all water under the bridge.
I agree with you 1000%.

I grew up a Reds fan in the 70s and that was my team when I was in Miami when there was no team. So I am as much as a Pete Rose fan as any. But I am sorry, he has lied over and over and over again. He swore on the two-headed donkey that he NEVER, EVER bet as a player/manager and there it is, as plain as the huge schnoz he has for a nose...he bet on baseball. I am so disappointed in him because he was getting really close. He probably assumed that since that notebook would never be opened, he would lie one last time and pray and hope he can take it to the grave. Now that this info is out, no ONLY am sure he bet for his Reds team as a player, but I would not doubt he placed bets AGAINST some of those bad Reds/Phillies/Expos he played on as well.

Sad day. He pulled a Lance Armstrong.

I grew up a Reds fan in the 70s and that was my team when I was in Miami when there was no team. So I am as much as a Pete Rose fan as any. But I am sorry, he has lied over and over and over again. He swore on the two-headed donkey that he NEVER, EVER bet as a player/manager and there it is, as plain as the huge schnoz he has for a nose...he bet on baseball. I am so disappointed in him because he was getting really close. He probably assumed that since that notebook would never be opened, he would lie one last time and pray and hope he can take it to the grave. Now that this info is out, no ONLY am sure he bet for his Reds team as a player, but I would not doubt he placed bets AGAINST some of those bad Reds/Phillies/Expos he played on as well.

Sad day. He pulled a Lance Armstrong.
No, Lance pulled a Rose.

I am sorry, the man has paid his dues over and over again ...
Had he killed someone, he would have been out already.

Baseball gives drug users multiple chances , Steve Howe got 7.
And there are plenty more as you know. Straw, Gooden ect.

So, your saying it's OK to throw a ball while High on whatever drug at the time was, I would say it's MUCH worse knowing that that guy on drugs was pitching the ball, he could have killed players out there .... appearance according to baseball and the opinion of some, that's much better ...

Rose bet on games, he in no way was going to potentially kill, someone.

The only person responsible for any of this is Pete Rose, and he only has himself to blame.

He knew the rules and still gambled on the team.
He knew the punishment and still gambled on the team.
He got caught and lied about it.
He got punished and still lied about it.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for him. He broke the rules and received the punishment. His continued lies show that the punishment was correctly administered.

After all the lies, first that he didn't bet, then that he didn't bet as a manager, then that he didn't bet on the Reds, then that he didn't bet as a player, I'm almost certain he bet against the Reds and probably threw some close games because of it.

Maybe after Shoeless Joe Jackson and his teammates are re-instated, then possibly baseball can look at Rose. At least Jackson and company didn't keep lying about it after they were caught.

Reactions: salsadancer7
Didnt the rest of the banned "Black Sox" go on record and claim Shoeless Joe was never in on it?

So whats the issue here exactly? That he lied? Big deal we all do. Heck a former U.S President lied when he did or didn't inhale or
had improper relations etc. Just people he's Pete Rose and the all-time hit king he shouldnt be held at a higher standard then the rest of us.

The man bet money on sporting events...including on his own team to win.... how is this "compromising the integrity of the game"?

What if he placed all his bets in Vegas... would that have been OK?

Besides no one is asking how a sealed document got leaked....doing so is an actual crime.

Cheers, K

The man bet money on sporting events...including on his own team to win.... how is this "compromising the integrity of the game"?
First, he didn't bet on baseball. Then he only bet on baseball after he became a manager. Now it appears he bet while he was still playing. What's next ? Who's to say he didn't bet on them to lose a game.

What if he placed all his bets in Vegas... would that have been OK?
He placed bets through a friend, who went through a bookie, etc, etc. He did it that way to hide winnings for tax reasons, right ? Not because betting in Vegas would be "too public" or visible....

Besides no one is asking how a sealed document got leaked....doing so is an actual crime.
So what. That's like committing a crime but no one knows you did it - does that make you not guilty ?

This all said, I'm from Ohio, the Reds were my favorite team and this was all during Pete's prime playing days and the days of the Big Red Machine. Now, I know baseball's rules, but let's pretend Pete bet on the Reds, as a player, manager, etc, either to win or lose. How does a bet impact him getting a base hit and the record for the most hits ? Put him in the Hall of Fame and hell, put an "*" next to his name if it makes some feel better.

Just people he's Pete Rose and the all-time hit king he shouldnt be held at a higher standard then the rest of us.
He isn't though.
If I break the rules at work, I will be punished.

He broke written workplace rules, and was punished per workplace rules.
He then continued to lie about it to circumvent workplace punishments.

What would happen if any of us did the same things at our jobs?

All MLB players are subject to the same gambling rules. He is not being singled out. If he was allowed into the Hall, then he would be getting special treatment that others subjected to the same penalty did not get.

What's the point of rules if you don't enforce them or their proscribed penalties.
Rose did it to himself, and then made it worse by continuing to lie about it til this day.

He isn't though.
If I break the rules at work, I will be punished.

He broke written workplace rules, and was punished per workplace rules.
He then continued to lie about it to circumvent workplace punishments.

What would happen if any of us did the same things at our jobs?

All MLB players are subject to the same gambling rules. He is not being singled out. If he was allowed into the Hall, then he would be getting special treatment that others subjected to the same penalty did not get.

What's the point of rules if you don't enforce them or their proscribed penalties.
Rose did it to himself, and then made it worse by continuing to lie about it til this day.

IMO the man paid the price for his transgressions. Let him have his one day in the sun as he's not getting any younger

IMO the man paid the price for his transgressions. Let him have his one day in the sun as he's not getting any younger
And the man keeps making it worse by continuing to lie about what he did and did not do.
If he had told the truth when he was first busted, then maybe he'd be let in. But not while he continues to keep lying about it.

Personally I say to wait til after he dies. No reason to reward someone who's only regret is that he got caught.

All that would do, is encourage others to do the same since the precedent of not enforcing punishments has been established.

Ok, time for me to chime in. I was a huge Pete Rose fan when I was a kid and am still a Reds fan.
I think he should be in the Hall Of Fame, only because they changed the rules for induction right when he would be eligible to be put on the ballot. I don't think he should ever be allowed back into baseball in any fashion to coach, instruct, or otherwise because he broke a rule that is plastered all over the clubhouse and has been since the 1920's. Remember that the HOF is not associated with MLB in any way, shape, or form. It is a totally separate entity.

Reactions: BillD1984

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts