Pete Rose

Remember that the HOF is not associated with MLB in any way, shape, or form. It is a totally separate entity.
One of their rules is that a nominee must be eligible to participate in MLB though.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

One of their rules is that a nominee must be eligible to participate in MLB though.
Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

It didn't used to be that way. They changed the rules right before Pete would have been eligible.

Ok, time for me to chime in. I was a huge Pete Rose fan when I was a kid and am still a Reds fan.
I think he should be in the Hall Of Fame, only because they changed the rules for induction right when he would be eligible to be put on the ballot. I don't think he should ever be allowed back into baseball in any fashion to coach, instruct, or otherwise because he broke a rule that is plastered all over the clubhouse and has been since the 1920's. Remember that the HOF is not associated with MLB in any way, shape, or form. It is a totally separate entity.

Totally sums up my feelings on this. I think if Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa and the rest of the juicers were enshrined then the Hall would be tarnished. IMO, the Hall is tarnished WITHOUT inclusion of the all-time hits leader. The difference is obvious- Rose's discretion's had NOTHING to do with his credentials. What Pete did was wrong, he's been punished and if he's never allowed to draw a paycheck from MLB again, I'd be fine with that. However, it's been said that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to be do in sports, and NOBODY did it better at the HIGHEST LEVEL than Pete Rose!

IMO the man paid the price for his transgressions. Let him have his one day in the sun as he's not getting any younger[/QUOTE
Ok, time for me to chime in. I was a huge Pete Rose fan when I was a kid and am still a Reds fan.
I think he should be in the Hall Of Fame, only because they changed the rules for induction right when he would be eligible to be put on the ballot. I don't think he should ever be allowed back into baseball in any fashion to coach, instruct, or otherwise because he broke a rule that is plastered all over the clubhouse and has been since the 1920's. Remember that the HOF is not associated with MLB in any way, shape, or form. It is a totally separate entity.

I would agree with you to a certain extent, until it was now found out that he bet as a player. And in most cases, you can forgive..but Jesus, Mary and Joseph...CONTINUE to lie? Seriously? It break my heart because I LOVED this guy's game...and he has broke my heart. He truly has.

Reactions: Hall
MLB also LIED when they said this would be reviewed YEARLY for reinstatement.
Rose ONLY agreed to this IF this was met.

Rose has paid his dues, done his punishment.

Hell, what do they do about the druggie ?
Thats not a Baseball rule, but it is a USA rule.

NOTHING is done to the Star player that does drugs.

WHY is that ?

I see another football star that used drugs (Cocaine) is in the news Dexter Manley ....

It must be legal to do drugs ...
Its much worse for the people playing the games, but that doesn't matter.

All the Betting had NOTHING to do with Roses accomplishments on the field, which is what the HOF should be about.

I think he should be in the Hall Of Fame, only because they changed the rules for induction right when he would be eligible to be put on the ballot. I don't think he should ever be allowed back into baseball in any fashion to coach, instruct, or otherwise because he broke a rule that is plastered all over the clubhouse and has been since the 1920's.

IMO...HoF should look solely at his performance on the field and not his extra-curricular activities off it it.
IIRC, Ty Cobbs was an alleged racist yet that didnt preclude him from the Hall.

Reactions: Jimbo
And in each case got the punishment specified by the rules at the time.

Pete Rose knew about the rules and consequences.
And kept lying about it when he got caught, and lied every time new information came out.
Rules change all the time ...
Maybe next year if your caught on PED's you will be banned for life ...
Why not, drugs are worse than Gambling on the game.

Rose should be in the Hall for what he accomplished as a player. He never cheated nor took PEDs.
I dont care if he ran the bases buck naked at night or mooned Marge Schott on his days off.
His stats speak for themselves.

Reactions: Jimbo
I got to see Pete Rose play against my beloved Cubbies at Wrigley back in the 1980s when Pete still needed 4 or 5 hits to break Ty Cobb's record. Every time Rose came to the plate, the whole park was chanting "Hit, Hit, Hit..." which he did twice, I believe. After he was on, the crowd switched to "Throw him out!" so back then, every fan of Baseball wanted to see history being made so they could say they were there when it happened.

When states have their own Lotteries, when financial managers who bilked the country for billions get off with the equivalent of a slap on the wrist, and as was pointed out, there are members of the Hall of Fame who have an asterisk next to their accomplishments, leaving Pete Rose out of the MLB Hall of Fame for doing what no other player in the history of Baseball has ever done before seems petty, trite, and highly personal. Either the Hall of Fame should expel all the players who weren't squeaky-clean from the Hall, or let Pete in.

Let's put a twist on this argument.

Derek Jeter...we can all agree he's going to Cooperstown on the first ballot.

What if he joins the Yankees front office next week and in 4 months from now gets busted on gambling on MLB games.

Are you going to ban him from baseball and the Hall of Fame for life?

Let's put a twist on this argument.

Derek Jeter...we can all agree he's going to Cooperstown on the first ballot.

What if he joins the Yankees front office next week and in 4 months from now gets busted on gambling on MLB games.

Are you going to ban him from baseball and the Hall of Fame for life?

IF he bet on baseball AS A PLAYER, he should.

The gambling isn't what is keeping Rose under a lifetime ban. It's the continued lies that he keeps getting caught in. If he had fessed up in the beginning, the ban would have been rescinded a long time ago. But no, he keeps lieing and getting caught in those lies.

Reactions: salsadancer7
As far as we know, no one has found Rose to EVER bet on his team to LOSE.
The gambling isn't what is keeping Rose under a lifetime ban. It's the continued lies that he keeps getting caught in. If he had fessed up in the beginning, the ban would have been rescinded a long time ago. But no, he keeps lieing and getting caught in those lies.
Hes already confessed, what would you like him to do, come over to your house and personally confess to YOU ?

He is NOT or should Not be being kept out for the lies you mentioned, they have absolutly nothing to do with him being eligible for the HOF ...

Its gonna be pretty empty if they start throwing players out that have lied.

The only confessions he's done, were when he was caught in a yet another lie. To which he then adds another lie to say he didnt do anything else. He then gets caught in that lie and says another. Lather Rinse Repeat.

The continued lied and revelations and further lies are whats continuing to keep him out.

Sure he now says he didnt bet on them to lose, bit until a week ago he said he never bet as a player and we all say how truthful that was.

Reactions: Hall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts