PG has "HD", but show not HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wasch_24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
Nothern Virginia, D.C. Area
Last night the PG showed the Apprentice as being HD with the symbol on the info bar but the show wasn't HD. Am I wrong in thinking that "High Definition" requires, besides the resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio. Granted the PQ from my local digital NBC broadcast was of very high resolution, but it was 4:3. Does anyone know if the broadcasters sometimes send out a higher resolution picture on their digital signals? I know that digital OTA is pretty sharp already but there was a pretty big difference in PQ between the show and the commercials. Did anyone else notice this?

Most local broadcasters send the same 1080i/720p signal at all times. They upconvert all SD to which ever format they use. Technically you were watching an HD signal (the black bars to the side are part of the 16x9 image) However the PG shouild NOT say HD for upconverted programing.

My locals show this all the time when a show is not HD. All the WB shows that are HD say HD in my guide, but we aren't HD yet. The Apprentice is not HD so I don't know why they say it is.

The guide will even say HD for the sub-channel which is showing an SD signal.

"Am I wrong in thinking that "High Definition" requires, besides the resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio."

yes you are wrong, some HD is not 16:9.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts