Phone line in your pocket

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gr8npwrfl

Original poster
Dec 16, 2009
Southern California
I installed Dish Network systems for several years.

We have been developing a new little box about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

It is a phone line (RJ11) to cell phone adapter. It has a pc board mounted quad band cell phone module on the board. All you do is insert a sim card from your favorite phone company and you are ready to make or receive phone calls from any phone line equipment. Such as a dish network receiver.

If you disconnect the phone line to the phone company at the Dmark and plug this unit into a phone jack, it makes anything plugged into a phone line in the house think that it is connected to the telco.

It generates the dial tone, ring voltages, dtmf decoding, busy signals everything the equipment needs. It connects the audio through the cell phone.

This unit could be plugged directly into the receiver also. You could connect to customer service and get customer data even if there is no phone line in the house.

Heck you plug in into a fax and you can send and receive faxes.

If your cell phone is the family plan you can just get a sim card added to your account and then you do not have to have a separate account.

If a person did not want a home phone this unit could be put in and save the customer $10 a month on a four tv install, beside his alarm system could run through it, and he could send and receive faxes. All this without a hard wired line in the home.

Would a unit like this be of any value to the current installers ?

I had a portable office in my truck when I was doing installs. I could send and receive faxes, get on the internet to look up any number of things, routing and sending paperwork, heck I would finish a job and fax my paperwork to the office on the way to the next job. Anything that made the time I needed to be at a customers house shorter meant more jobs and more money.

Sounds like a neat device, I just don't see a market for it with the availability of High Speed Internet and VOIP.

All the newer receivers today have eithernet connections, and even the alarm systems are allowing you to hookup to eithernet instead of a phone line.

I think the key to making this product more of a success, would be to design it as a whole house solution as a perminent replacement for a home phone. Get a little bit bigger box so it can mount in a utility room, add a battery backup, and than pair that up with a nice high gain outdoor antenna.

The problem with a device that small, your making it look like a novalty item such as a Magic Jack. Its so small, people don't consider it a replacement for their home phone, where as the ones the cable company issues to people for phone service people do consider it a replacement.

The regular analog modem signals that dish uses do not pass through the cell phone network. Even though it works, it may not be worth the price.

Would a GSM fixed wireless terminal with an ethernet port qualify for the "phone connection"? (i.e. does a dish box with an internet link on ethernet bypass the $5 charge)

would it really be taht much in savings? i guess if you get an extra number on ur current cell account for 10.00 bucks a month or so, it may be worth while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts