Phone Scam

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Lubbock, Texas
I just received my second phone call in two days from someone who could barely speak English informing me that Dish Network had changed its frequency and he needed to check the compatibility of my dish box.

I told him to stop trying to scam people and I hung up.

Nobody's gonna get my account number or receiver ID's.

I just received my second phone call in two days from someone who could barely speak English informing me that Dish Network had changed its frequency and he needed to check the compatibility of my dish box.

Thanks for the heads up and remind us to be on our toes.

Sorta off topic...
I keep getting one, that I don't answer. Voice Mail states that I signed up for computer tech support a few months ago. The company has been ordered to go out of business. Could I please call this number and give them my bank routing and check acc. number so that they may refund me. Remember this is very urgent!!!
Really! For one I have never signed up for computer tech support. ...and yeah right, I am going to give someone who can barely speak English very well, my bank info. Heck, I would not do that even if you spoke very good English. :D

Sorta off topic...
I keep getting one, that I don't answer. Voice Mail states that I signed up for computer tech support a few months ago. The company has been ordered to go out of business. Could I please call this number and give them my bank routing and check acc. number so that they may refund me. Remember this is very urgent!!!
Really! For one I have never signed up for computer tech support. ...and yeah right, I am going to give someone who can barely speak English very well, my bank info. Heck, I would not do that even if you spoke very good English. :D
Yea, if they have your account number and routing number, they can remove money as well as deposit - which do you think is more likely?

I like when my friends tell me these stories, I always get the numbers. I try and call them back, and waste as much of their time as possible.

Reactions: TheKrell

Hmmmm,

Did this person actually know you subscribed to Dish Network? If so, how?

Just how secure is a Hopper 3 from outside hacking?

Does Dish support 2 factor authentication e.g. for Dish Anywhere?

He seemed to know i was a Dish sub.

Called from 800-333-3289, but it was probably a spoofed number.

Reactions: TheKrell
Sorta off topic...

I received this one as well.

Reactions: KE4EST
I get emails daily from various banks and credit card companies telling me that my account has been suspended and I have to click on the link below to reset my account. I don't even bank at those banks. Do people really fall for this scam?

Reactions: edisonprime
I got an eamail from Cox Internet asking me to go into my internet setup and change the configuration settings or my email would stop working on a certain date. I called Cox to verify the request and they did state that it was necessary, since they had updated their system. They also said that they had very few calls requesting the verification.

Reactions: Claude Greiner
I got an eamail from Cox Internet asking me to go into my internet setup and change the configuration settings or my email would stop working on a certain date. I called Cox to verify the request and they did state that it was necessary, since they had updated their system. They also said that they had very few calls requesting the verification.
You did the right thing. When in doubt, CALL!! :clapping

Reactions: charlesrshell

If I don't recognize a name or number I don't answer. They can text or email if important.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

I like when my friends tell me these stories, I always get the numbers. I try and call them back, and waste as much of their time as possible.
I have tried the same thing and I have found either the number rings and rings with no answer, or more often than not, the number you are trying to call does not exist. One scammer is using a local guys number and is driving him nuts. The phone companies and the FCC have to find a way to stop these scammers from taking anyone's number and using it.

If the number the caller ID shows is spoofed, you may be calling a number that doesn't exist or you may be calling a little old lady from Pasadena, you'll rarely get the guy who really called.

It should be illegal to spoof numbers or better yet, keep the government out of it and the phone companies should make it impossible to spoof numbers.

I get emails daily from various banks and credit card companies telling me that my account has been suspended and I have to click on the link below to reset my account. I don't even bank at those banks. Do people really fall for this scam?

Maybe 0.25%. If you sent enough of those out though you can still collect some $.

Reactions: charlesrshell
better yet, keep the government out of it and the phone companies should make it impossible to spoof numbers.
Phone scams are actually in the telcos interest. More volume, leading to more profit. No incentive to cut down on such calls.
Then the only way it would happen is if the government stepped in and forced the telcos to make it impossible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts