Pixelation at top and bottom of the hour.

Do I understand that proper detection technique is to stare at the inset picture while the guide updates? (I still haven't seen this on my 722 nor my 612.)

What do you mean by "totally ruins"? Isn't this a momentary problem lasting less than a second on a 211?

When I say it ruins the recording that's exactly what I mean.

I don't want mangled up recordings, I want them to be flawless, start to finish.

When it pixelates, the video really breaks up badly. It's like when the video pukes out during a storm.
It will hang for a second or two and you can not see what is going on and you very often lose the audio for a second or two.

Because many shows run past the hour and half hour mark, the last few seconds of a show are often when things are revealed, comments made, etc, that were crucial, IE "the big reveal", are trashed and you miss important stuff.

If you are recording something that runs for a few hours, well then every 30 minutes the recording is pixelated. Ruined.

If the pixelation isn't a problem for you, well whoop-dee-doo, good for you. It is a problem for me and I am very unhappy about it.

That's all I've got to say on this. Dish obviously doesn't care to fix this and it won't get fixed and all the b**ching in the world will do no good other than make everyone else mad so I'm done with this.

If they fix it, great, if they don't, well then I'll just have to look at the alternatives.

This was ONE of the problems I complained to Dish regarding my Hopper and Joey. After a month and a half, I got fed up and returned to Dtv.

Maybe it's worse on the 211k, but it's fairly subtle on my Hoppers/722k. I don't think I've noticed it in the middle of movies, or if it is occurring I don't notice it. It's mainly only irritating when it makes the audio cut out and I miss some dialogue. It's also not consistently bad. One time is pretty pixelized and the audio drops for a split second, other times I just notice a block or two that's odd for a sec and it reminds me about the glitch. Other times I don't notice it at all.

I can see where it could really irritate some folks though. I have mild OCD so things like this are more noticeable to me than most. If my OCD was worse I suppose it would irritate me even worse.

Dish definitely needs to fix it though, pretty odd to have the latest technology hiccuping every hour.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

VIP722K
Software L755
Every channel, every recording.
First it looks like it drops some video frames, it has to be quite a few to notice.
Then audio drops some frames and I lose audio for about a half second.
When watching the news or something like that, it's pretty annoying.
I also don't care for movies with glitches in them.
It's been happening for months.
It's pretty noticeable since it does it every 30 minutes.
It seems to me that it might coincide with the guide update.
It's like dish is using too much bandwidth for the guide update and it interrupts the tv signal.
I sent an email to dish and I didn't receive an answer.

Last edited:
On another note, some HD channels also seem to randomly freeze and the audio drops for about a second or two. Happens on the Hoppers on WA and the 722k on EA. Also on some SD channels the audio drops for a fraction of a second every 5 seconds. Unlike the top/bottom-hour glitches which I believe are caused by the receivers themselves I believe that these separate issues are something on Dish's side. Definitely nothing on my end.

Dish can see how many people have duplicated this problem by the posts in this thread, it just ironic how DIRT steers clear of an acknowledgement much less a promise of resolution. I wouldn't expect any company to acknowledge a problem.

Ain't it funny how DIRT disappears everytime there is a real problem!
If they could give an absolute answer, they would. IOW, they have no info to appease YOU. And IMO, this is the smallest "real" problem I've yet to see here. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
When you pay for a service and it it pixelates every half hour for 6 months its the biggest problem I have ever seen.

When you pay for a service and it it pixelates every half hour for 6 months its the biggest problem I have ever seen.
:facepalm
My guess is a few people would have thought the loss of Amc and the like were REAL problems.

2:30 pm 11/12/12 pixelation # 234567783994030-2992282837463723-3939383827222 across all dish VIP and above receivers, across all arcs, across all channels, on the half and top of the hour, and every hour for 7 months straight.

Way to go dish, you just beat time warner cable's world record for crappiest multi channel provider! You will need to submit extra to JD power next time.

If they could give an absolute answer, they would. IOW, they have no info to appease YOU. And IMO, this is the smallest "real" problem I've yet to see here. :rolleyes:

I agree about a DIRT response - I'm sure the problem has been reported, not much a DIRT member is going to say. I don't agree about this being the smallest "real" problem here. That prize goes to the bottom banner that was added for channels with content available online, that appears and disappears the same way the original top banner does. :D

2:30 pm 11/12/12 pixelation # 234567783994030-2992282837463723-3939383827222 across all dish VIP and above receivers, across all arcs, across all channels, on the half and top of the hour, and every hour for 7 months straight.

Way to go dish, you just beat time warner cable's world record for crappiest multi channel provider! You will need to submit extra to JD power next time.

I honestly do not see it on the VIP612, and many report it to be very subtle on other receivers. I don't deny if it is not subtle for you it is probably a real pain, and should be fixed. Just not sure it's ruining that many people's viewing rather being an annoyance. Again, it should be fixed certainly.

Disabling the bottom banner should be an option like the tv enhancements. I like the old receivers they were immune to all this crap.

Don't be so sure your receiver is really immune, if one tuner is free then it may not exibit this problem.

I frequently have a lot of timers overlapping...I have to go through my daily schedule every day to resolve conflicts. Still have never seen the glitch anywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts