Pixilization

omeletpants

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
I have a Hopper 3 and two HD Joeys. The Hopper 3 picture is fine but all of the sudden both Joeys are producing a pixilize picture similar to what you would see in a rain storm. I have reset both by disconnecting the power cord for 20 seconds. Any thoughts?

I have a Hopper 3 and two HD Joeys. The Hopper 3 picture is fine but all of the sudden both Joeys are producing a pixilize picture similar to what you would see in a rain storm. I have reset both by disconnecting the power cord for 20 seconds. Any thoughts?
Are you using an OTA Adapter on the Hopper?
If not, my guess would be water damage in the cabling somewhere

I had the same problem on my Joey3 last night. The weather was fine but it kept pixelating. The link status was strong. Both of my Hopper3 receivers had no problems. I tried rebooting the Joey3 with no success.
Today my Joey3 is working fine so I am not sure what went wrong last night.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I've been suffering with this one for several months. So far, I've been able to resolve it by switching to an OTA channel, wait for it to clear up, then back to the sat channel I was on. I haven't verified it, but reportedly this no longer works after the most recent software update.

I've been suffering with this one for several months. So far, I've been able to resolve it by switching to an OTA channel, wait for it to clear up, then back to the sat channel I was on. I haven't verified it, but reportedly this no longer works after the most recent software update.

It still works for me. I have the new update and a Joey 2. I do believe it’s a software issue. Wish they would fix it.

Does rebooting the Hopper help?
Yes that will fix the pixelation until the next time. It's a never ending problem that has been brought up several times. I finally gave up and paid the 12 bucks a month. I've tried the Dish module and the Air module same problem with both. I even opened up the Air module so it could run cooler. No luck in stopping the pixelation.

That sounds like a problem with the Hopper.
I doubt that as this has been an ongoing problem for a long time with the dual tuner module. The single tuner worked perfectly. Several persons have had the same problem so that would eliminate the Hopper.

seems im running into this also. we have 2 joeys, a 4k joey, and the hopper 3. the 4k has acted up a few times just in the last 48 hours.. strange, this morning 1 joey was working fine, the other joey, and the joey 4k were pixelated. i have a internet connector at the 4k location. resetting the joey did not fix it, restarting the hopper did. i have not pulled the plug, just the software reset from the menu screen.
no changes in the system for years... including the internet connector. and ota adapter

Are you using an OTA Adapter on the Hopper?
If not, my guess would be water damage in the cabling somewhere

i have the dual tuner ota, on a extension so the adapter is like a foot or ?? from the hopper...
think that might be doing something ?? i could try unplugging it ?? would i unplug the usb, then pull the power cord, or push the reset red button on the front ??

seems im running into this also. we have 2 joeys, a 4k joey, and the hopper 3. the 4k has acted up a few times just in the last 48 hours.. strange, this morning 1 joey was working fine, the other joey, and the joey 4k were pixelated. i have a internet connector at the 4k location. resetting the joey did not fix it, restarting the hopper did. i have not pulled the plug, just the software reset from the menu screen.
no changes in the system for years... including the internet connector. and ota adapter

i have the dual tuner ota, on a extension so the adapter is like a foot or ?? from the hopper...
think that might be doing something ?? i could try unplugging it ?? would i unplug the usb, then pull the power cord, or push the reset red button on the front ??
Whenever I Saw pixelation on Joeys and the Customer had an OTA Adapter, pulling the adapter out of the USB would immediately clear the pixelation up - when it was indeed being caused by the adapter

Reactions: JS_racer
got ya... so if it acts up again, just remove the adapter from the usb and check if its cleared up ?? no reset or reboot or anything ??
thank you for your time

That's the first thing I'd do and that will isolate it to being the adapter

It isolates the problem to correlating to the OTA. It doesn't mean that the OTA itself is necessarily at fault. It really seems like some kind of software problem on the H3 itself. The problem will also resolve if you switch to an OTA channel on the Joey and wait a few seconds for it to clear up. You can then go back to the satellite channel and it should be okay for hours at least. It's like the software on the H3 gets tied up dealing with the OTA till it doesn't have enough resources left to properly stream to the Joeys.
Of course, it could be something else completely. I'm just saying that just because the OTA has to the present for the problem to happen, doesn't mean that the OTA has to be the part at fault here.

Reactions: TheKrell
The problem will also resolve if you switch to an OTA channel on the Joey and wait a few seconds for it to clear up. You can then go back to the satellite channel and it should be okay for hours at least.
This used to be the workaround but stopped working, at least for me, with the U934 software update

well, my stuff is still working well. no changes i don't believe.
the only possible change was ensuring the ota adapter was on the outside of the cables, and not in the middle with contact. this makes it as feww air as possible. i did check connections at the joey 4k, and found nothing.. that was yesterday too.
just checked again, still working good.

strange, tried the joey, and it came up with a broadband connection lost, reboot hopper ?? i didn't do anything, started walking down the hall, then it was working just fine. this was the second box i tried, first was the 4k joey with no message. ?? not sure what to make of this.

well, my stuff is still working well. no changes i don't believe.
the only possible change was ensuring the ota adapter was on the outside of the cables, and not in the middle with contact. this makes it as feww air as possible. i did check connections at the joey 4k, and found nothing.. that was yesterday too.
just checked again, still working good.

strange, tried the joey, and it came up with a broadband connection lost, reboot hopper ?? i didn't do anything, started walking down the hall, then it was working just fine. this was the second box i tried, first was the 4k joey with no message. ?? not sure what to make of this.
It takes time for it "kick in" sometimes?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I've had an OTA Antenna for some time, but I never did drop my locals because of timers that I had setup. Well, I finally went through and deleted and changed to OTA those timers that were still relevant and dropped my locals yesterday. I'll be danged if last night, my WiFi joey wasn't pixelating until I went to an OTA Local then went back to the Showtime channel I was watching. Tested it on multiple channels before going to the local.

Son of a gun!