Pizza Verses BUD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
you buy the equipment from a dealer (dishstore as example...they're a sponsor) or Ebay and you set it up. Call Dish and tell them what package/programming you want. You dont get the discounts but there is no contract.

Is it me or is the Dish Store link on the forum banner busted?

Never mind. It finally worked after four tries..............grrrrrrr

Last edited:
those packages are mainly to "save" customers from leaving...but once the hole was exposed...well you get the jist

Family used to be shown about 2 years ago. My orig plan was to get family without a contract. then it became hidden a few months before I subbed to D*

The H2H programming that we use isn't priced that greatest either for the channels in the packages. The value of the Pick-10 really isn't worth it. the H2H Deluxe Digital Pak is what I currently have. Once you go higher the H2H programming doesn't add up for what you get in choices and only SD for cost considering for a single receiver.

I can't understand why the packages vary slightly between the 410 and converted 4D receivers. For example BBC America is not available on the 410, Pick-10 but is on the 4D boxes??? You would think they would be the same but they're not. The prices are also slightly different between SRL and Skyvision. That makes the small dish look more appealing for the larger packages when you pass the $50mo. benchmark.

Also H2H doesn't contain any of the high wholesale cost channels. Like Espn! They seem to only sell the low cost channels. Most likely because of the high profit margins. But, then use the excuse the programmers won't sell to us. Ya, they will but you have to charge 10 dollars a month alacarte to make the same $4.75 a month profit. I maybe wrong! But, who knows?:D

Most likely because of the high profit margins. But, then use the excuse the programmers won't sell to us. Ya, they will but you have to charge 10 dollars a month alacarte to make the same $4.75 a month profit. I maybe wrong! But, who knows?:D

That was NPS game. I think beyond that now is pure speculation. NPS 's prices skyrocketed last year but SRL & Sky had no price increase at all.

Also H2H doesn't contain any of the high wholesale cost channels. Like Espn! They seem to only sell the low cost channels.

remember...H2H is an add on option for cable companies to get the "niche" channels available to customers. That is why they dont have alot of thew "main" channels out there

remember...H2H is an add on option for cable companies to get the "niche" channels available to customers. That is why they dont have alot of thew "main" channels out there

Ya, your right. I don't even see ESPN being uplinked by Hits on 105°. But, whats up Playboy and Clubjenna. Why don't they go after those. Some of us old guys don't have a problem yet.:D

If you think pizza is for you get it but it won't be a free ride trust me. You will spend quite a bit of bucks on it especially if you go with your own equipment from the start on Charlie dish. There will be no teaser rate so you will pay full price from the start and also for equipment. My first year with Direct under contract with teaser comes in a couple bucks shy of $400 with taxes.Year two at full price would cost me approx $840 plus taxes. But I'm busting down to nothing to keep year two around $400 but I loose about 5 channels I would like to keep but ain't worth paying double plus for. Some are on H2H so that helps since I have a sub there too.

Also I got one receiver and SD, No DVR or PVR, HD, multi room etc. Pizza ain't the way to go if your money is needed elsewhere with the poor economy. Things are tight with me too right now and I hate the additional bill each month I have to pay or else. I used to go with more on the bud when I had it and cut back when things were tight. Can't cut back as far with pizza, there most basic pkg Family is almost as much as a full blown monthly pkg on H2H with a heck of a lot more quality channels. I don't consider the Direct filler/ shopping / ppv preview etc channels worth anything .

Direct Family package $29.99 a month.. No annual rake off.
H2H Dlx Digital pack $36.99 monthly or $31.65 Annual (with Skyvision)
Direct Choice Xtra. $65.99 a month.. No annual rake off. (this is what I have now) teaser rate $29.99 but a lot of bs to get that price usually $5.00 more.

DirecTV prices are without taxes. No taxes on H2H.

If you get pizza good luck. It's a thrill at first to have the extra channels but when the thrill is gone you may be kicking yourself like I am. But you need to experience it yourself.. I wish you a good experience.

One huge benefit of SatGuys is the experience of others - I'm not about to do a deal with the devil but I do my homework on these things so I can make an informed decision.

I can't stand DN's SD PQ - it should be considered below acceptable and providers should be fined for re-broadcasting it.

you buy the equipment from a dealer (dishstore as example...they're a sponsor) or Ebay and you set it up. Call Dish and tell them what package/programming you want. You dont get the discounts but there is no contract.

Thanks Ice

...Don't dish charge an activation fee if you use something from flea bay or the like?

When I first set up my Dish account, I was reusing a very old receiver & a D500. They never even hinted at an activation fee. This surprised me, so I asked about it. Even with me giving them the chance to charge me one... still they said no activation fee.

Then, I bought a VIP211k off the flea brand new for $110 delivered. Bought a new 1000.2 (110/119/129 HD dish) off the flea for $60 delivered. I already had the $15 cable, lol. I just called & took the old receiver off the account, and added the new one. At that time, I paid the one time $40 EHD fee which turns the 211k into a DVR (you provide the external HDD). But that fee was for a feature, still no activation fees.

After a while, it became obvious that I would be keeping the service, so I went ahead and paid the one time $99 fee for "HD for Life".

Now for $44.99 per month I have the AT120 with HD, no monthly DVR fees, free HD locals from sat, free OTA locals including sub channels (the 211k has built-in ATSC tuner), no taxes, and best of all... no contract.

My setup costs totaled $309, and was spread out over time as I decided what I wanted. Sure, I didn't get so called free installation or a year of promo rates. But no installer has ever stepped foot on my property. I've never had to take a day off work to meet an installer. I can still quit anytime I want. I can sell the equipment if I want, or keep to use again in the future. I did get 3 free months of HBO/Showtime for starting, and 5 free PPV coupons.

I can manage my acct online, meaning I can up/downgrade packages without having to call in. Plus, I can take advantage of the monthly "free preview" channels that are never in my cheaper package.

Still, the BUD/4DTV has a big role in my daily routine. Instead of "Pizza vs. BUD", it should be "Pizza plus BUD". There's no reason we can't have the best of both. ;)

Cheers

I know there use to be an activation fee if you went no contract and got the equipment straight through Dish but if you have the equipment already there is no fee

Anony your post is very well put. Also I'm sure you know you can record one OTA and one Satellite channel at the same time. The 211 is a nice receiver and having no fee (outside of the one time $40 fee) makes it nice. And also if that hard drive gets full you can add another...and another. Only drawback on the 211 right now is a 1TB limit on the drive (the other Dish units are 2TB max)

Thanks Ice,
I am looking for a basic sub for use at my TN place when we are there. Something we could turn on and off when appropriate.When I looked into it a while back there where no options but now the flex tv might be the way to go. Unless you are suggesting a regular account would suit my needs better?

a regular account would probably be the best. Anony gave lots of info on his setup. Now the only thing I wonder is the "turning it on and off" thing. How long do you stay at the TN location at a time? I know with Dish you can put it on vacation mode where the acct sits there and you're charged like $5 a month. They turn off the programming. You can shut it off completely but if you start it back up in say 3 months it might be easier for the vacation route. Or bring the receiver home with you and use it as a supplemental service

...Anony your post is very well put. Also I'm sure you know you can record one OTA and one Satellite channel at the same time...

Thanks Iceberg. Yes I did know about the dual recording. That's the main reason I was happy to find out that sat locals were gonna be free. That way, I can record NCIS & NCIS-LA back to back and still have my 2 minutes early & 3 minutes late on each recording. I just record one from sat & one from ATSC. I would've never paid for sat locals considering the good ATSC reception I get. But if they're free, I might as well find a use for them. :)

The two tuner operation also comes in handy on my wife's day off. She can watch the local news while I'm recording Gunsmoke on TV Land. :)

Cheers

a regular account would probably be the best. Anony gave lots of info on his setup. Now the only thing I wonder is the "turning it on and off" thing. How long do you stay at the TN location at a time? I know with Dish you can put it on vacation mode where the acct sits there and you're charged like $5 a month. They turn off the programming. You can shut it off completely but if you start it back up in say 3 months it might be easier for the vacation route. Or bring the receiver home with you and use it as a supplemental service

Anony's post gave me some ideas I had not considered plus your mention of moving the receiver. I'll be doing some homework and maybe I can make something work for both locations. Neither satellite provider seems to be very open about their terms regarding turning it off and off however.

Thanks again Iceberg.

If you lease the equipment and you shut the receiver off for a time, that adds months to the contract. Dish charges $5 a month for up to 6 months, Directv is $0 for same time frame. SO if you suspend it for 3 months, they tack it on the end of the contract

If you own the equipment (Dish) you can turn it on and off as you please. Directv doesnt really have an "own" option

I haven't finished digging but so far I have learned that Direct only allows 2 turn offs in 12 mos if you have one account, more if you have more accounts. I am not to fond of Direct anyway, but that's another story.
Nothing to report on Dish policy at this time.

in the Dish area search "Dish pause"...that has the info. Its pretty much the same rules as Directv

Dish has a unadvertised option called the Welcome pack
14.99 includes locals for your area and includes these channels
AMC
Bloomberg
Boomerang
CMT
Comedy Central
Food Network
Hallmark
Home & Garden Television (ADDED)
History
HSN
ICTV (ADDED) (just a shopping type channel)
MSNBC
MTV2
Oxygen
QVC
ShopNBC
TBS
TLC
The Hub (formerly Disc Kids)
WE: Women's Entertainment
The Weather Channel

you would have to buy the equipment but then you can also add a free Public Interest package that includes these (they're included in most other packs)
KTV (Kids & Teen TV)
Inspirational
CCTV9
CTN
Cspan
Nasa
TBN
EWTN
UCTV
V-Me
3ABN
Pentagon
Classic Arts
Almavision
HITN
BYU
Colors
Link
Free Speech TV

just throwing out some options

Dish has a unadvertised option called the Welcome pack
14.99 includes locals for your area and includes these channels
<snip>
just throwing out some options

Interesting info and it may be enough to ditch the cable here and snowbird to a receiver to TN from time to time. Now, can one get a receiver and dish on his own, install it, call in and start a sub?

Now, can one get a receiver and dish on his own, install it, call in and start a sub?

yes. Now a couple things
-If you got a HD receiver (like the 211 as noted above) the only HD channels you'd get would be the locals. The Welcome pack doesnt have HD available last I checked.
-to start with the Welcome Pack, you'd want to PM one of the Dish IRT group here. From what I have read the regular CSR's can't "start" the account on the Welcome Pack so they get confused. The IRT folks start it with like AT120 (minimum package) then immediately change it to Welcome Pack

The 2 really good IRT folks are Mary and Matt
They've helped me with my relative's accounts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts