Playing media files on LAN with Edision OSmio4k

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
I was thinking we could play stored video from our network file shares with the OSmio. I can see the root folder with the files I want to access and "mount" it but It doesn't show in the media player or PVR function. The network browser can see the media folder on the network storage but doesn't open it (little red X on icon). Anybody doing this? Using the TNAP enigma build that came preloaded

You can't do it, or at least I haven't figured out how as of yet.

However, you can (I can at least) see the Mio's drive from my pc and from my WDTVLIVE's menu and play files from it. I just can't do the reverse, that is play files from the drives hanging off my WDTVLIVE or from my pc on the Mio. The Mio can do a network scan and mount those drives, but nothing else, it can't see the files on the drives.

So, beats me. I gave up for now after spending hours trying to get it to work. This was all with the NA SatDreamGr RC image I was using. I haven't tried yet with a different image.

There must be a way to make it work, we just haven't found how as of yet, and it's not so important to me to spend much more time on it.

I was going to try loading Kodi, and try again, but I thought it was more important to ME at least that I got the satellite receiver part of the Mio working 100% for me above all other issues.

It has it's little quirks, just like the MicroHd does, however I know all the MicroHd's quirks, and I haven't as of yet discovered all the Mio's quirks and fixes, LOL.

It's just too new on the market, so it's going to be a learning experience for ALL of us, and not many of us post issues unless they bother them enough. If people don't bring things up that they discover, it'll take all the longer to get fixes.

Last edited:
You can't do it, or at least I haven't figured out how as of yet.

However, you can (I can at least) see the Mio's drive from my pc and from my WDTVLIVE's menu and play files from it. I just can't do the reverse, that is play files from the drives hanging off my WDTVLIVE or from my pc on the Mio. The Mio can do a network scan and mount those drives, but nothing else, it can't see the files on the drives.

So, beats me. I gave up for now after spending hours trying to get it to work. This was all with the NA SatDreamGr RC image I was using. I haven't tried yet with a different image.

There must be a way to make it work, we just haven't found how as of yet, and it's not so important to me to spend much more time on it.
can you see it as a drive you can copy from? or more like a UPNP repository? I'm asking because for some recordings that I want to keep, I like being able to use VideoRedo to remove the commercials and other unwanted content. With my current receiver, that means unmounting the USB drive, bringing the drive to the PC, etc. It would be nice to be able to do all that with the disk still attached to the receiver.

I can see the drives on the MIO from anything on my LAN. The Mio however can't even see the files on the various drives on my LAN. It can mount them, IE: knows they are there if you do a network scan from the Mio, it just can't do more than that. I'm not saying it's incapable of doing so, just that I haven't figured out how to do it as of yet.

FROM my pc however, I can rename, move, delete, add or play any media file that's on the MIO's drive that it has recorded from a satellite. That's using Windows 7 Pro, and mapping that drive in Network Neighborhood.

Reactions: Brct203
Sounds like a sharing issue. Are the files on the remote computers, NAS, ect, shared? Might need a file utility like samba setup on the Mio, if it isn't already there.
I was thinking along those lines myself. When mounting a share with the Edision you are offered NFS or CIFS microsofts version of SMB. Neither one works

Reactions: primestar31
I was thinking along those lines myself. When mounting a share with the Edision you are offered NFS or CIFS microsofts version of SMB. Neither one works

Is there a way to get to a terminal on the Mio? Could check and see if cifs, samba, etc, is installed and running. Maybe through the webif, or telnet, ssh.

Have you checked to make sure all applicable drivers and extensions have been downloaded and installed from the Plugins menu? I have seen some media viewer plugins in there but have not tried them.

Have you checked to make sure all applicable drivers and extensions have been downloaded and installed from the Plugins menu? I have seen some media viewer plugins in there but have not tried them.

Never got quite that far, as it's just not super important to me ATM and there's already a big learning curve I've had to go through. I need to get all the satellite things locked down, IE figure out a fix for my Movies!/Start issue, and there's a few other things that are a bit off (channels renaming themselves, even in my user bouquets!, Webif timer plugin is a bit primitive, & the U.S. doesn't have good EPG for channels to use that for setting timers). Since I was running an RC version of NA SDGr, I was basically doing beta-tester duty for El Bandido anyway.

He's really amazing and knows his stuff, BUT, he needs to know there's "an issue" in the first place and I have to be able to articulate it well enough that we can decide if it can be fixed, or "worked around". Not all of us use the receivers the same way, and he might not come across the same issues one of us might discover.

I brought this issue up to him several weeks ago (thread at LegitFTA), and I decided to give up on it after he had me change some things. I'll get back to it eventually. This receiver has basically only been in release for a tad more than 3 months, and it's already come a LONG way!

I still think it's the best one I've ever used.

p.s. There appears to be a bug in Firefox Quantum 65.0.2 (64-bit) with using the Webif screen that I only nailed down last night while working on the Movies!/Start channel issue. It doesn't always refresh properly, and causes odd little 'ghosts' of things that have been deleted or changed, but they don't refresh themselves without manually clearing the FF cache file on my pc. That said, the latest Google Chrome seems to be flawless on using the Webif stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: comfortably_numb
After some other tests I am thinking the problem of playing files from a network share might best be tackled from the other end of the equation first. Let us see if this has the codecs it needs to play those files I want to play. I loaded a test file (AVI) over my LAN onto the USB HDD attached to the Mio and it showed in the file list and I hit the play button and no go. :( While I have a 1TB Iomega external drive attached to the mio with nothing on it, my computer claimed there was insufficient space to copy any of the files to any of the folders I tried until I tried the "Lost and Found" folder.

After some other tests I am thinking the problem of playing files from a network share might best be tackled from the other end of the equation first. Let us see if this has the codecs it needs to play those files I want to play. I loaded a test file (AVI) over my LAN onto the USB HDD attached to the Mio and it showed in the file list and I hit the play button and no go. :( While I have a 1TB Iomega external drive attached to the mio with nothing on it, my computer claimed there was insufficient space to copy any of the files to any of the folders I tried until I tried the "Lost and Found" folder.

Here's the start of a couple pages where I tried the same things, and the responses including some screen shots from EB. Note, I'm "MikeB" over there: Edison mio 4K - Page 13

P.S. I'm using a W.D. 2TB USB3 drive, and it's working perfectly, but I initialized it on the Mio

Reactions: Magic Static
Here's the start of a couple pages where I tried the same things, and the responses including some screen shots from EB. Note, I'm "MikeB" over there: Edison mio 4K - Page 13

P.S. I'm using a W.D. 2TB USB3 drive, and it's working perfectly, but I initialized it on the Mio
I've been following you over there. :) Didn't know quite how far you got though.

I've been following you over there. :) Didn't know quite how far you got though.

Just to the post that said "I'm giving up for now", lol.

I've about got the Mio 1/2 mastered, (quicker than I thought) so it's coming along. Though I mainly wanted it for satellite, and hopefully flawless recordings and timers. Which that part I've gotten to about the 90% stage. Once Movies!/Start issue is resolved, all that'll really be left is hoping we can get the Timers plugin upgraded a little bit for the USA, since E2 is mainly designed for setting timers/recordings from EPG. Which everybody else in the world has, and the USA doesn't have...

Then I can spend some time working on other things a linux box is capable of doing other than satellite.

By the way, you can go into the Webif screen, scroll down to bottom left side, click on "Settings" under "Extras" menu. Then the Setting menu will appear. Click on "Packages" under the slightly-to-the right vertical box, and then "All" (top middle), and it'll bring up ALL packages available in the SDGR feed. I'm not saying every single one will work without customizing it for the Mio (I don't know E2 well yet) but they are packages for the various E2 receivers that SDGR has been ported to, including the Mio.

You can read the descriptions, decide if one seems likely, and install it and see what happens. Don't forget that EVERYTHING seems to have a hidden config MENU screen, depending on what page you are on...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts