PLL LNBs and power consumption

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The heat is not an issue anymore. The power supply was the biggest producer of heat and it has been replaced by one that doesn't heat up much at all, about 10 degrees above ambient. The switch still is carrying a large load and gets warm but the heatsink has taken the heat off it. I don't anticipate the cover adding to the heat. It's wide open all around. But when the temps outside go back up I will be checking it again for sure :)

Very Nice Magic, I like the way that looks.

It's a year later and things have changed. I lost the battle with the heat when the outside temps reached 95°, it was 135° inside and the switch reached temps in the 150°s. The Ku Horizontal circuit became intermittent. I put a fan on the new switch and came up with plan B.
One thing about the original setup: the move to powered LNBs left me without a battery backup on the whole system like I had before. So I moved the power supply inside plugged into the back-up and send power to the switch via a coax. I decided to try the other switch mod Pendragon had devised with a Zinwell WB68. http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...6x8-Switch-with-Power-Insertion?highlight=wnc
In this mod none of the power sent to the switch by the power supply is used by the switch and therefore does not contribute to the heat build up. I then moved the switch outside of the container into a Square D circuit breaker box I scrounged up. I mounted this on the north side of the container and it only sees the early morning sun. The switch is slower than the 4X8 switch but works very well so far :). I will be monitoring temps this summer.
Rewire2 003.JPG April2014 012.JPG April2014 005.JPG

Nice setup, well done!
Are you using the ASC-1 to power the LNBs? A power inserter on each LNB line would remove the load from the switch(s) but might cause more signal loss if that would be an issue. How do you like the PLLs and how do they compare to the DROs you had before? (other than the power consumption)
I am using DROs on a Corotor II, seems to work well with the ASC-1, certainly as compared to using the STB power!

The first pic shows the power supply that powers the LNBs. The ASC1 would be powering the switch only. The PLLs do seem to handle the weaker channels better. But the difference is subtle.

Ditto: Very nice. I'd also consider some thermostatically controlled power ventilation.
Or 'fins' al-la heatsink on the box. (my thinking is "a sealed box is a sealed box")

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts