Pll Lnb’s

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
I have a SL2PLL on my HH dish. I’ve had a lot of trouble getting the dish tweaked because of numerous problems. Main problem was the pole was wobbly and loose. I fixed that and it’s not going anywhere now.

I made a serious effort to realign the dish the other day.

After I got it aligned about as good as I could with my Jurassic meters I went in the house and told it to do a complete rescan of every satellite it can see from 72 to 129.

I noticed that it didn’t find several things despite that I had it do a deep/detailed blind scan or whatever it’s called.. It’s supposed to be the most comprehensive scan of the several options.

One case was LPB stuff on 87w. It didn’t find that by itself. I thought maybe it was because I don’t have the dish tweaked well enough. But I decided to manually enter the transponder and scan it and boom! It came in.

I also have a single PLL on my dad’s dish and I when I scanned on his, LPB was absent there too.
That happened several weeks ago and at the time I didn’t think to try putting it in manually.

Next week I’m going back over there and try that. I think it will likely work like mine did.

Is there something odd about PLL LNB’s ?

I thought that they are pretty much the best thing to have. But then again, I vaguely recall someone mentioning that they can be troublesome or finicky. I just can’t remember the details about it.

Are there any specific tips I should know about PLL that might help save me some headaches?

Should I use a standard LNB to align dishes and scan then swap it out once everything is set up ?

Thanks.. :)

The argument for PLL LNBs is their frequency stability, or in the loftiest examples, an ability to lock to an external reference. In reality this normally has little meaning for FTA. The argument against PLL LNBs is they typically have poorer phase noise specs within a given price range. This can be very important for FTA, particularly for DVB-S2 signals that have 8PSK or higher symbol sizes. Regardless, a lower quality of dish alignment cannot be compensated by better components.

The two tuners I am working with is my MicroHD and my dad’s Openbox S9.
My dad has a single output PLL and I have the dual output PLL.

I have a 1 meter with a pll lnbf and a 6ft prime focus with a dro lnbf. Both scan in the LPB channels about 60% of the time in a blind scan but scan in fine on a tp scan. This is using a receiver with an Ali processor and one with a Mstar processor. Based on this I think the issue is with the feed and not on our end.

I've have had similar results with that transponder with DRO and PLL LNBF's

I am using 3 Avenger PLL LNBs. Happy with them except that they draw a lot more power than DRO lnbs which could be an issue if driving a motor and long cable runs. I also tested a GeoSat Pro PLL. On 125W the GeoSat did not pick up TP 12106 (Montana PBS) during a normal blind scan where as the Avenger did.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)