Pocketdish 500 problems... Please Help

jbolejack

Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Kansas
I have the pocketdish 500 for a little over a year... Today I start putting video files from my DVR to my pocketdish and it goes to the Attention 842 screen says I have an hour and 37 min left put one bar up for completion and does nothing. It just sits there without putting anything on the pocketdish. I did the run.exe and the chkdsk thing... I updated the firmware... I called Arhos and they really didn't help I sat on the phone for 45 min and the tech lady asked me 3 questions and then was probley trying to google an answer... after 45 min she came back and said I needed an new hard drive. I really haven't used the thing that much. Then I asked how much... she came back after 5-6 min and said they discontinued all the parts for it... Any help would be appreciated...

Thank jbolejack

I have done a lot of research on this issue and found out that this problem originated with the new dish network smart card. It is no longer compatible with the pocketdish. Archos has not developed software for the pocketdish since June 2006, and the current software is outdated for the new smart card. I spoke with an Archos Tech and he basically said the software may be updated and it may not. It is simply not a priority for Archos since the pocketdish has been discontinued. (I posted this response to a different thread)

I saw your post and decided to try mine(av500e) since I haven't tried any transfers since installing the new smart card in my 722, everything worked as normal,no problems. I did install firmware from archos 1.0.61 last week. I also called archos last week about a different issue and found out the same thing, they don't service the pocketdish because they don't have any parts:( I also transfered from my 522, also no problems. looks like it could be the hard drive.

I have the av700e and DVR522, mine started doing the same thing your is doing on april 1st 2009. We will just have to wait for dish network to do another software update to fix the problem. But they won't fix it unless you call them and tell them it is happening to you. This happened to me back in 2007 and i had to keep calling them and bugging them about it before they actually fixed it. The more people that call the more they will have to look into it. They will try to tell you there is something wrong with your pocketdish, the way to test that would be to avi file from your comptuer to your pocketdish or music or something to see if it plays right, if so, then your pocketdish is fine and you'll have to wait for dish newtork to update the software on the dvr, By the way i have had my smart card for like 3 months and had no problems coping files before or after i put the smart card in. I only started having trouble after the software update. You will have to ask them to submit a report to engineering because there is really nothing the customer service people can do to help, other than submit the report

I noticed yesterday (7-22-2009) that my pocketdish AV700E and dvr522 are working fine together again. I now have software version L534GALD-N. Hopefully we won't have this problem again but i imagine we will after a few years because this is actually the 2nd time i have had to deal with this problem, the first time was in 2007

Good news. Thanks for posting.

I just wish I could use a pocketdish or archos to carry HD from my ViPs to my HDTV at my RV.

Pocketdish

Could someone tell me where to get software version L534GALD-N, and is it for the pocketdish or the dish network receiver?

Thanks!

Could someone tell me where to get software version L534GALD-N, and is it for the pocketdish or the dish network receiver?

Thanks!

The software version i named off is the software for the DVR. My DVR is a DVR 522 so if you have a different one your software may upgrade to a different version than mine. If you haven't gotten new software yet, the only thing you can do is hold the power button down on your DVR untill the unit reboots itself( I think you have to hold it for like 3-5 seconds for it to do that). If you still don't have a new software version after that then you may just have to keep waiting. I doubt that they upgrade all DVRs at the same time so you may just be at the end of the list or something. I would just like to point out that i have the pocketdish av700e, just in case that makes a difference for some reason. I also noticed after they upgraded the DVR that my pocketdish has a new file on it called "dishnetwork_plugin_a" that takes up 0mb of data on the pocketdish. I can only assume that when they upgraded the DVR they had it download that plugin to the pocketdish automatically from the DVR. I would NOT recommend deleting that file ever. I hope this helps, if it doesn't the only other thing i could recommend would be to call dish network and if you do that.... all i can say is good luck.....

AndyNicholas
user_offline.gif

SatelliteGuys Freshman
Thank you AndyNicholas for your insight! After resetting the receiver, I was finally able to successful download to my pocketdish!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts