Pocketdish+722 Not Working

AJF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
I've used my Pocketdish (Archos 500) in the past with my 522 receivers without any problems. I now have all 722's and tried hooking up to that and I'm having problems.

First it wasn't recognized at all by the receiver, so I downloaded the latest firmware from Archos. It shows up fine now and I can access it just like any EHD, but when I try to transfer any programs to it, I get a message saying it can't accept HD programs, even though the programs I'm trying to transfer are not HD.

What could the problem be?

Query whether you are on the Eastern Arc. If you are, even the SD channels will be MPEG4 which will not work with pocketdish.

Many of us are unhappy about it. If they got it working with HD & MPEG-4, I'd gladly buy it. I'd love to take some of my HD recordings with me to our RV. Internet is slow 3G there, so no sling.

Sadly, 'tis not to be. Dish & Archos don't seem to love each other any more.

navychop said:
Many of us are unhappy about it. If they got it working with HD & MPEG-4, I'd gladly buy it. I'd love to take some of my HD recordings with me to our RV. Internet is slow 3G there, so no sling.

Sadly, 'tis not to be. Dish & Archos don't seem to love each other any more.

My 922 slings just fine on a 3G network on my iPhone and laptop.

Yup Eastern Arc thanks Jake. And yes, that does suck!
What is particularly galling about this is that all the Archos recorder/players I know about are native mpeg-4. So what's the problem? Agree with Navy; no love between the two companies any more.

My 922 slings just fine on a 3G network on my iPhone and laptop.

When I log in on my laptop with a 3g connection at our RV, it's rather slow. I'm not complaining, a few years ago we could only get phone service at the peak of the campground. So things are getting better. But I just doubt the connection would support an HD program off my ViP722s. Or do I misunderstand, and the sling process buffers a few minutes ahead and works well even on poor connections?

I have a pocket dish and planned ahead and have a bunch of stuff on my EHD'S in mp2, but I also have a wing dish for 110 and can get sd locals along with some other channels to transfer to the P. D. when needed. If you have L.O.S. you can install a W A and be able to use it again.

It is not that there isn't love, ASIFK, even the latest Archos will support Dish Net, but at MPEG 2. The two companies have no bad blood nor any disagreement, it is just that Sling and TV Everywhere has replaced what the old DishPocket and current Archos products provide: portability, but with the added benefit of streaming content from your box at home to just about any wireless portable device. The technology has changed. It is all about wireless streaming out and about these days, not transferring to portable device's HDD and be stuck with only that content, when one can use their iPad or whatever to access ALL of their box's content--or LIVE TV--anytime, anywhere with no concern for transfers of set-up to record to an Archos device. In this model, the Archos products become anachronistic.

Unless you want access where there's limited connectivity. Then having it as a recording is best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts