Pointing a dish regarding the building wall direction

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

polgyver

Creative Tinkerer
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 21, 2010
Toronto
This might be useful for newbies to this hobby. Turning the dish on its mast, sweeping the horizon by 15 - 20 degree or more, is time consuming. The dish pointing could be done faster if the direction could be pre-determined, by using a good compass. If there is no compass, then usage of www.dishpointer.com should be helpful, with 2 satellite azimuth comparison and little math.
As an example, there is description of pointing the dish to popular bird, 97 W, in Toronto, whose streets do not run parallel to geographical coordinates.
Three annotated pictures follow:

Attachments

• IMG_4741.JPG
    IMG_4741.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_4742.JPG
    IMG_4742.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4743.JPG
    IMG_4743.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 205
That's one thing I like about the city that I moved to. All the streets are north-south or east-west, and my balcony faces due south. Setting up my motor was far easier than I expected. Fine tuning it, on the other hand....

Reactions: polgyver
Yesterday I made a template and checked it with the dish in my backyard (angles seemed OK).
Today I used the template for installation of dish at customer's place (40 km West of my place).
Annotated pictures have more info :
IMG_4754.JPG IMG_4756.JPG IMG_4759.JPG IMG_4762.JPG IMG_4763.JPG IMG_4765.JPG IMG_4767.JPG IMG_4769.JPG

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts