Polarity problem with DMS BSC621-2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

paulvr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dear folks,

Some years ago I purchased a DMS BSC621-2 LNBF at quite considerable cost due to high shipping fees and importation taxes. I felt bitterly disappointed because it just wouldn't do the job. DMS claimed that I were the only one complaining but on the internet I saw plenty of complaints. The shoddy quality of the scalar rings that looked like they were made out of overpainted tuna cans also seemed to confirm that I had spent my dire money buying junk.

However since I entered this forum where I found all kinds of positive remarks I decided to try and identify the problem. I removed the teflon sheet in order to create the simplest possible basis position: just try to get the LNBF to work correctly with linear signals.

Having positioned the LNBF fully correctly I soon found out that I couldn't go from V to H with the normal receiver settings. Also doing blind scans I would only get vertical channels, nothing horizontal. The 22 kHz setting switches automatically between both Ku bands (universal LNB) and the positions Committed 1 and Committed 2 switched properly between C and Ku. Committed 3 and 4 just reduced signals but had no function, and using Disecq 1.0/1.1 which introduces the Uncommitted options had no effect whatsoever.

However, two things remained difficult to understand:
1. If I manually switched from V to H with my receiver (which btw works fine on all other dishes) I did loose much of the vertical signal but it didn't give me horizontal ones. But there is signal, just not enough to identify anything that comes in that way.

so the next step was to try and adjust for horizontal channels while turning the LNBF within it's scalar rings but that didn't seem to help any.

2. When I did much more manipulating with the committed/uncommited and 22 kHz options, somehow it unexpectedly happened that the system reversed itself: all of a sudden there were no more vertical stations available on any satellite or band but all horizontally polarized signals came in loud and clear.

But same story here, once I had the horizontal ones, vertical was impossible to switch to, no matter what I did.

I experienced this a number of times over a 7 day period, convincing me that at least the LNBF was properly positioned within the scalar rings. It was my messing around with settings in the sat receiver that somehow turned the system from a perfect horizontal channel receiver to a perfect vertical channel receiver. The fact that both polarities were in principle capable of a good and stable reception if only I messed enough back and forth with the receiver proved that the LNBF itself was well placed in the dish.

I jotted down each move I made, each setting I changed, tima and again, but to no avail whatsoever. It wasn't like I could repeat the switchover in minutes, sometimes more than a day would pass before all of a sudden I had the opposite polarization. And once I was there it was near impossible to get back. Just weird...

Somehow it seams that there is something in that DMS product that refuses to make the switch from H to V or vice versa, making the whole thing pretty useless.

Is there anyone who recognizes these experiences, or who could offer suggestions for a solution? I use different Clarke Tech receivers and an AZbox Premium HD+ and all receivers get the same results so I don't think the fault is at the receiver's end. The high quality coaxial cable is especially made for sat reception and measures about 25 meters (probably around 82 feet or so) but I doubt that that could be a factor.

Is this LNBF just ready for the trash heap or....?

Could be the connectors, or a faulty switch, including the committed one in the LNB.
You could always purchase another BSC621-2 for testing (just kidding).
Intermittent failures are the worst thing to diagnose. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. Is trying to open the darn thing an option? And if so, do you happen to know what I should be looking for to replace? I mean what it looks like? Whatever it is, it's something that switches polarity for both C and Ku band at the same time.

I actually have one of these myself, haven't used it or opened it up. But I suspect it's all surface mount components. The 13V and 18V is what would change polarity but don't have any idea on how the circuitry is set for this inside the LNBF. You could try just using the C-band portion of the LNBF (eliminate rg6 jumper cable) and see if it changes anything.
I believe that by using just the C-band portion the internal switch is disabled. (C-band only is just one cable to the RCV connector on the LNBF).

Thanks for your reply. Is trying to open the darn thing an option? And if so, do you happen to know what I should be looking for to replace? I mean what it looks like? Whatever it is, it's something that switches polarity for both C and Ku band at the same time.

I actually have one of these myself, haven't used it or opened it up. But I suspect it's all surface mount components. The 13V and 18V is what would change polarity but don't have any idea on how the circuitry is set for this inside the LNBF. You could try just using the C-band portion of the LNBF (eliminate rg6 jumper cable) and see if it changes anything.
I believe that by using just the C-band portion the internal switch is disabled. (C-band only is just one cable to the RCV connector on the LNBF).

Thank you but I have done that for most of the past few years when trying it. The AJAK H2H mount just doen't give enough stability even during moderate winds to get an undisturbed Ku-Band reception but at the time this combined feed was all I could find for digital C-band reception.

I have had the coaxial cable directly attached to the C-Band LNB for much of the past years. That, however has no influence at all when it comes to not being able to switch normally from H to V.

No, the only thing new for me was that (due to reading this forum) I gave it a last try once more but now leaving out the teflon slab and concentrating therefore on the few linear C-Band satellites we can get here in Europe to make things easier. No luck whatsoever.

What does amaze me, though, is that circular polarized reception switches right along with H/V. Somehow that seems to destroy the philosophies about circular which would mean that the position of the dipole is only relevant with regards to where the teflon slab is. In reality in this case RHCP is equal to Horiz, and LHCP is equal to Vertical reception without any slab in the feed.

I actually don't even notice that much degradation of reception quality when leaving the teflon slab out. Just better linear reception due to the lacking slab as an obstruction. Weird...

Last edited:
have you measured the voltage to make sure your fta reciever is outputting 13, and 18 volts?

I had a problem with a pansat 9200 outputting too high a voltage and it wouldnt change polaritys properly...

What does amaze me, though, is that circular polarized reception switches right along with H/V. Somehow that seems to destroy the philosophies about circular which would mean that the position of the dipole is only relevant with regards to where the teflon slab is. In reality in this case RHCP is equal to Horiz, and LHCP is equal to Vertical reception without any slab in the feed.

I think this might be your problem.

RHCP shoud be equal to Vertical reception, and LHCP should be equal to Horizontal reception.

Try turning the feed-horn 90 degrees and see if that helps.

Thank you Linuxman, you are right as such, I wrote t down incorrectly. BUT that's NOT the issue. Fact is that when I am in one polarity I seem unable to go to the other. So when I am in vertical, NO WAY can I switch to horizontal. And when fore some reason after hours of fiddling with my sat receiver I hallen to end up in horizontal, there is absolutely NO WAY to get back to vertical.

But, no matter in which mode I am, if I am in that mode the LNBF receives all signals perfectly well. That seems evidence that the LNBF is positioned perfectly well, the problem is ONLY the question why I can't switch from H to V or when I am in V back to H. And secondary to that, why I don't stick where I am either when trying to switch.

In other words, when I am in horizontal I get all horizontally polarized stations very well. when then I go to vertical I do NOT get the vertical stations but not either the horizontal ones. There is signal, but too weak to identify.

Same in the other way: when I have managed to get the LNBF to receive vertical I get all vertically polarized stations in perfect condition. When then I switch my receiver to horizontal I loose all the vertically polarized signals but I don't get the horizontally polarized ones in return as it should be.

It's almost as if the H/V switch on the receiver doesn't do enough to get the other polarity until enough messing around suddenly accomplishes it but then you're stuck in the other polarity. I know it sounds absurd but that;s the way it is. I had some fellow sat-hobbyists try the thing out and they came to the same conclusions. I tried it out on all 4 of my current sat receivers, all with the same result so I think I can exclude the possibility of a sat receiver not working correctly. (which also answers your suggestion Beano-face - thanks for trying to help)

It's a really weird problem, I am curious like h*ck to find out what in heaven's name creates this anomaly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)