Poor second tv PQ on 622

XorCist

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
hey i just got my 622 installed on wednesday, and i cant figure out how to get better PQ on the second tv, tv is crystal clear on tv1, but tv2 is iffy....for some strange reason if i move the lil antena for the remote where tv2 is, it clears up some...makes absolutely no sense to me

Makes no sense to me either the little antenna is for the second remote. How far is the second tv from receiver or how much coax is there(foot wise is there) and how is the quality of it. I bet it is old coax or the connecters are put on poorly or wrong unless the second TV is a long ways from the 622.

I may vote for the either poor connectors, or distance, too. Mine was just installed Thursday and my SD tv never ever looked so good. Possibly, the UHF antenna itself might be defective.

hey i just got my 622 installed on wednesday, and i cant figure out how to get better PQ on the second tv, tv is crystal clear on tv1, but tv2 is iffy....for some strange reason if i move the lil antena for the remote where tv2 is, it clears up some...makes absolutely no sense to me

If you have a long coax run from the 622 to TV2, then you WILL have PQ issues on TV2. I know I did. I added a 25db amplifier on the backfeed from the 622 and voila! problem solved. :D

the total run from tv1 to tv2 is about 22 feet, its a brand new line ran by the installer. for amplifier will a cheapy from radio shack work?

You way want to dig deeper into your PQ on TV2. If it is connected via coax, as said check for loose connections and also the possibility that if there is a diplexer installed, it maybe hooked up incorrectly.

MY guess is he is using the remote antenna to transmit to the second tv.

That's possible. Make sure the antenna is connected to the Remote Antenna port and the cable going to TV2 needs to be connected to Home Distribution port (Yellow).

You also need to try other channels. Go to Menu, 6, 1, 5 and change the channel on TV2 output to Cable 73 or 74. Go to TV2 and change to the channel and see if it improves.

You shouldnt have any problems at all w/ a 22' run of new RG6. In fact, I'm making some changes to my setup where I plan to run a 100' RG6 coax as my TV2 output to the 2nd TV, and I wasn't even considering an amp for the signal...what are other's thoughts on this? Is a 100' run of RG6 coax for TV2 too long? I guess I can always cut one end of the cable and install a new connector as I really only need about 80' for this run...

More Info

What do you mean by bad. give us more details. Thumbnail pix maybe. It may be several different things. The output channel you chose may be too close to an OTA channel in your area. Bad run of RG-6. Bad diplexer as some one has said. TV2 is set for OTA not cable or reverse.

By chance, do you have your TV2 line running thru a VCR and then into the TV2. If so, make sure the VCR is off. When the VCR is powered-on, it will interfere with the picture. If the VCR is off, and still getting a bad picture, disconnect the TV2 line from the VCR and hook it directly into the TV. Could the VCR is not passing the picture thru clearly.

Something else you can check, if you have a short jumper cable, hook-up your TV2 feed cable from the receiver to TV1 and turn TV1 to same channel and modulator (cable or air/antenna) that you have TV2 set on.

If you get a clear TV2 picture on your TV1, then the issue is somewhere between the receiver and the TV2 set, most like a bad connection or barrel in the line.

If you get a bad TV2 picture on your TV1, then the issue could be the TV2 output in the receiver itself.

Check default channel number for TV 2

The lowest you can go is channel 21, this will give you the best picture. As years past
you cannot use channels 3 or 4 even tho it seems they will produce the clearest SD. Go to Menu, 6, 1, 5 (modulator) and change the channel on TV2 output to 21 or try some others for the best picture. You also can select air or cable so keep track of what you change to. You then must select that channel on TV-2 to view the picture from the 622 second feed. If they installed new coax to TV-2 as I understand this will solve your problem

LJA97

Last edited:
Well, I've got my 622 hooked to a second TV and I've found the dual TV1/TV2 mode of operation unbearable when it comes to TV2 output. The SD output via the TV2 connection just seems really, really bad. The image and detail seems to smear and swim a LOT - not necessarily macro blocking, but more something that looks like something similar to overcompression or lack of enough bandwidth in constructing the image from a source signal. What probably doesn't help is that my second TV is a 50" HD set that is 1080i capable.

So, I've avoided using the dual TV1/TV2 mode ever since I first hooked up my 622. Luckily, since the 622's HMDI and component ports are both active for TV1 and capable of sending a 1080i signal, I just use the single TV1 mode to pump out the same HD 1080i signal to both sets . This typically isn't a problem in that I only watch one TV at a time anyway (50" HD in the living room and 60" HD in the home theater room downstairs.)

I reckon the TV2 output would look fine on a smaller non-HD set which is probably what the engineers that dreamed up the feature had envisioned its use for anyway.

Cheers!
--Supercharged_Z06

what about TV3?

while we're on the subject, my TV2 is fine. But when I have both TV and a third TV on (mirroring TV2), the third TV has a lot of snow. TV2's pic is great.

I've tried one of those cheap signal boosters everwhere I can think of (other than the direct line from the sat coming into the house), and it makes no difference.

The cables seems fine. In fact, I had no problem whatsoever with Cable TV.

Any suggestions?

Since you're splitting the signal for TV2 and TV3 you're losing 3.5 db with the splitter. Probably just enough loss to see snow on TV 3. Nothing you do with the satellite line will help, you need to deal with the TV2 output.

How long are the cable runs? What kind of splitter are you using? Are you using RG6? Maybe RG6 Quad will help since it's has less loss.

Since you're splitting the signal for TV2 and TV3 you're losing 3.5 db with the splitter. Probably just enough loss to see snow on TV 3. Nothing you do with the satellite line will help, you need to deal with the TV2 output.

How long are the cable runs? What kind of splitter are you using? Are you using RG6? Maybe RG6 Quad will help since it's has less loss.

The cable to TV2 & 3 are all under 20 ft, and the cable was good enough for Cable TV. If I'm using a booster of 10-15 db, that should overcome a 3.5 loss. (unless the booster is just no good)

I had run the cable through a VCR to the TV. I took that hookup away and it didn't do any good. I've talked to others, and they say they've run up to 6 TVs off of one DVR. So, maybe my cable needs updating. I don't know.

I have the two way splitter from Dish into the house which connects to a 4 way splitter that was there from the Cable. Can I replace the 2-way from Dish with a 4 way, and shortening up the cable runs? Would that give me better PQ?

"I have the two way splitter from Dish"

What splitter from Dish? They have a DP separator to use for dual tuners or diplexers to combine the satellite signal with the TV2 out picture in one cable. Which one are you talking about..

The DP separator has Port 1 and Port 2 labeled. The diplexer has Satellite and CATV/UHF/VHF on each port labeled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)