Possible FTA Newbie needs guidance

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

daveh505@comcast.net

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 18, 2008
Las Cruces NM
My wife and I are are getting tired of the high cost of Cable TV. We have Comcast with internet. I can get HD OTA, all affiliates +, with a boosted antenna. DSL is not available at my residental location. Dail up is not an option. WAY TOO SLOW. We bank on the online.
If we ever have the option of DSL I want to get into FTA satellite. I have looked at the website LYNSAT and am amazed at the number of satellites and programing. I have some experience in tuning my own Dish equipment that I carry in my RV including a triple LNP sat dish antenna. How can I get the basic knowledge that will enable me to make educated decisions regarding start up equipment options and prices? I know that this is not an exact science but I need to know enough to avoid high cost mistakes if possible.
Thanks
Dave H.

:welcome to SatelliteGuys! You are at the right place for information about FTA!

This forum is filled with tons of information and responses to questions just like you are asking.

You can start out small with a preconfigured basic KU-band system from one of the site sponsors and add additional components like motors and C-band or you might be a hobbyist who is attracted to the DIY approach. If so, dig in and learn about the parts and pieces that you need to collect to build your own system.

You have a couple of options if your wanting information about FTA, first read the postings here and on other web sites or call in on Wednesday to the Access America ((504) 358-0232) show at 8 o'clock eastern time and talk with Mike Kohl. You can also just listen on the internet by going to http://www.sattalk.us and follow the directions .
Also what is listed on Lynsat is not always up to date, check at Mikes site http://global-cm.net for his listing. Other than FTA have you looked at getting a 410 or 4DTV receiver and get programming from either SkyVision or SRL which might be cheaper for you. Between the FTA and 4DTV/410 and with OTA you can get a lot of good programming. and not be stuck with long term contracts.

You've taken the first step.
You're reading the SatelliteGuys forum.

Don't get in a hurry; that is where most people waste their money.
Decide if Ku (small dishes) would be sufficient for your viewing needs.
There is a lot more entertainment on C-band (8' dish), and that need not be difficult nor expensive.

I'd start out with a fixed 36" dish and Ku LNBF, and maybe a standard definition receiver.
Once you have an idea how things work, you might add a motor, which would open up more satellites to easy reception.

One thing that'll help, is to run any equipment purchase by the guys 'n gals here, first.
Some brands of receivers don't live up to their hype, and some dishes are too small to do the job.

You've taken the first step.
You're reading the SatelliteGuys forum.

Don't get in a hurry; that is where most people waste their money.
Decide if Ku (small dishes) would be sufficient for your viewing needs.
There is a lot more entertainment on C-band (8' dish), and that need not be difficult nor expensive.

I'd start out with a fixed 36" dish and Ku LNBF, and maybe a standard definition receiver.
Once you have an idea how things work, you might add a motor, which would open up more satellites to easy reception.

One thing that'll help, is to run any equipment purchase by the guys 'n gals here, first.
Some brands of receivers don't live up to their hype, and some dishes are too small to do the job.

OK Thanks for the info. How about this FTA HD reciever on eBay: OpenBox S9 HD PVR Free To Air FTA Satellite Receiver - eBay (item 350406661574 end time Mar-21-11 18:09:32 PDT)
I thought I might as well go for HD while I'm at it. Check out the review it sounds GOOD.
Of course I will have to have a Dish. What do you suggest?

Hope you've looked at the threads here already on the Openbox, there's several of them, with lots of good information from owners of those.

in a nut shell

The receiver is one of the few I'd recommend, and the one I'd buy for myself.
It's not 100% perfect, but read the various discussion threads; most of the folks are pretty happy with it.

Member SatelliteAV sells 36" dishes, and in his signature he's got an eBay deal which includes an LNB for a pretty good price.
(click the About Me tab)
I'd look in the hardware review department, but whether it's listed or not, it did receive good reviews from the members when he last upgraded it.

I'd get a fence post at the local hardware store, and mount the dish about chest height in the back yard.
Later when you are comfortable with the buzz words and tune-up, you'll want to add a motor.
Maybe one from WSI/Galaxy, another of our gold sponsors.
Both for initial setup and for learning how to align a motor, having ready access to the dish will be very valuable.
If you eventually need to move the dish to a wall or roof, at least you will have experience. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)