Possible to have a mixed Sirius/XM sub?

wolrah

Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
I've had Sirius for a few years now and over that time have also added on a few extra receivers as gifts for family. My Sportster4 is dying and my car antenna has completely died, so I'm in the market for a new receiver. Problem is all of the currently-available Sirius units are garbage as far as I'm concerned. By that I mean the UI looks like crap, the blue glow on all the rewind-capable models doesn't fit with my car, etc. Only the upcoming Mirge really interests me, but it's expensive and last time I checked didn't have a release date set.

I noticed that there is a XM receiver already that seems to be the same basic chassis as the Mirge will be based on, and every channel I listen to is available on XM now. Is it possible for me to buy that XM receiver and activate it with a XM service plan as a replacement for my Sirius unit without affecting the other two units on my account?

For those who care, I just got off of a wasted lunch break calling about a dozen reps in both the S and XM call centers just to confirm that this is not in fact possible unfortunately.

My guess is that they haven't yet merged the billing systems of the two companies. It may be possible to mix Sirius and XM subscriptions if/when they move to a single billing system. Most companies that merge do move to a common billing system, so I would hope that this will come one day.

They really need to add the ability to do family plan discount when you have a mix of XM and Sirius hardware on one account. My car has Sirius built in, wife's car has XM built in. We can't justify paying two full subscriptions so Sirius/XM is getting 0$ from us rather than allowing us to do the family plan. :mad:

How many?

They really need to add the ability to do family plan discount when you have a mix of XM and Sirius hardware on one account. My car has Sirius built in, wife's car has XM built in. We can't justify paying two full subscriptions so Sirius/XM is getting 0$ from us rather than allowing us to do the family plan. :mad:

Our family is in the same boat, My wife and I both have Sirius in our vehicles. I just bought a Cadillac that has XM built in with the navigation system. I would instantly add an XM subscription if I could get the multi/family discount.

I understand that it may take some time to merge their account systems since they merged but you would think they could figure out a way confirm someone as an existing XM or Sirius customer and then (say like in my case) approve my NEW XM account at a discounted price.

My question is how many potential customers are they losing by not allowing this? Or do that many people pay double full subscriptions now to make them worry about losing $$?

I think they have a new plan out for that but it requires you to buy the new radio. The plan cost $19.99 for the combined service. I found it by clicking on shop and seen the Mirge radio that is for both XM and Sirius.

I'd just like to be able to use the factory radio. I could add a Sirius unit but I don't want the clutter. Unfortunately I have a 2006 STS-V which won't work with any of the adapters or converters. Just picked the wrong car. I just can't bring myself to pay for another full subscription with XM.

Same thing here. Both are up for renewal this month and they are sending me late notices. Hello... I am not late if I refuse to renew if you refuse to listen to reasonable demands. So neither car will have either service. Hell half of their channels are full of commercials like OTA radio anyway.

They came out with a combined package, I think it's called all in one. pretty much from what I read of it, for the same price you get all of sirius on XM's mirge or whatever the heck it is, or vice-versa for 19.99 a month. really not a bad price since what is regular service and best of pack price, 17-18 a month. And you get to have both home and away feeds of the teams (baseball and football espically) It is something that I may check out in a few months, that is if Siri-XM is still around then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts