Post your backyard/Roof Antenna, Dish, Tower, C-Band, Ku-band Pictures!!

A little dirty after 20 years. Heaviest residential HH motor ever made. :)

Used for testing dish parts. So it never gets cleaned up. :eek:

Only its mother could love this face. :eek:

Here's my Dish500 and my OTA antenna.

The Dish500 has been painted with satin white Krylon "Fusion" paint.

I know that many of you will ask why I did not mount to the brick or the vinyl siding. The brick foundation mounting would have been too low, due to children paying in the back yard. The wall is full of water supply and drain pipes; some with horizontal runs trough the studs, making weak structual support areas. Also, the electrical panel and wires are in that area. Screws may have penetrated any of them.

Both the satellite pole and the antenna mast are schedule 40 aluminum pipe and will never rust.

All connections and grounding blocks are in Telecrafter Omni III weatherproof boxes.

Attachments

• DISH.JPG
    DISH.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 224
  • ANTENNA.JPG
    ANTENNA.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 181
Mike500 said:
Here's my Dish500 and my OTA antenna.

The Dish500 has been painted with satin white Krylon "Fusion" paint.

I know that many of you will ask why I did not mount to the brick or the vinyl siding. The brick foundation mounting would have been too low, due to children paying in the back yard. The wall is full of water supply and drain pipes; some with horizontal runs trough the studs, making weak structual support areas. Also, the electrical panel and wires are in that area. Screws may have penetrated any of them.

Both the satellite pole and the antenna mast are scedule 40 aluminum pipe and will never rust.

All connections and grounding blocks are in Telecrafter Omni III weatherproof boxes.

You might want to check that coax going into the brick. No drip loop there.

digiblur said:
You might want to check that coax going into the brick. No drip loop there.

None are needed. It is built into the entry point inside the wall. The entry point is sealed, but if it was open, it wouldn't matter anyway. The lowest point is outside And, there is internal trench with no wood contact on the inside wall of the crawl space. The cables travel upward inside. Any water draining into the brick would have no effect. Also, the entry point is the lowest point of the cables' travel. The slot into the mortar where the hole is drilled slopes downward to the outside.

I've been a Master Electrician for years. I repair and replace a lot of service panels on account of just exactly what you state, when the service entrance cable entres into a basement. Most electricians do not know how tp place an in wall drip loop and depend only on sealant. When I replace the panel or do new construction, I always build a drip loop into the cable inside the wall.

goaliebob99 said:
Heres mine.. The ota ant. is a chepy one I bought off of ebay... And it works great!!!!!!!! Notice the addition the the voom ant arm.. This works great for my apt install :)

Nice setup!

The only thing that I would have done different would have been to place that expensive dpp44 switch. They have a nice Rainbird sprinkler control box for about $30 at Lowes that would do nicely. Also, it would keep it out of sight from potential thieves.

HokieEngineer said:
Maybe cuz you have indoor couches sitting in the backyard?? :D

LOL!! I was waiting for that question. When we can't find anything on TV we just go outside and sit on the couches to watch the dish!

Actually we were in the process of waiting for some donated couches to be delivered. I pulled them out and threw them in the backyard for the dogs to sleep on. I left one of them under the patio and hauled the other one off.

Ok, Here is the Arial on my roof and the Internal Arial I am using now. I ordered a Silver sensor, it is on the way.

Attachments

• DSCF0247.JPG
    DSCF0247.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 216
  • DSCF0248.JPG
    DSCF0248.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCF0249.JPG
    DSCF0249.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 238
  • DSCF0250.JPG
    DSCF0250.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCF0251.JPG
    DSCF0251.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCF0252.JPG
    DSCF0252.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 213
Looks like you have three narrow band specific yagi's pointed within 20 degrees in the same direction.

If the current antennas are pointed correctly. you'd be better off with a Channel Master 4228 or, if you need VHF, a Winegard Ghostkiller 7210.

Having either of these outside on the roof would be much better than the Silver Sensor.

The RCA ia a real DOG. It is similar to the defunct Dishmate or the Walldo.

Man, I have to admit, that stupid RCA multidirectional antenna is getting better results than the silver sensor. It is actually a really good Multi Directional UHF/VHF antenna.

I know the silver Sensor is only UHF, but looking at my zip code (37923) Shows that does not matter.

Overall, the RCA is giving good strong consistant signal across all channels, while the Silver sensor will pick up WB Much better than the RCA ever could, i must have pointed it just right.

It does not matter though, Tommorrow morning, comcast is finally coming over and unlocking the lock box on the side of my condo, AKA, I will have access to that Giant Antenna on the roof!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOT.

hey guys, if I do not have a combiner and i have just 3 loose cables coming down from those 3 antennas, what combiner should I buy for that Yagi UHF, the Low band and Highband VHF antennas? Obviously it would need 3 inputs, but that is all i know....

OOOOOHHH another question. Say I go and buy a channel Master 7777, would I be able to put the yagi UHF antenna into the UHF side of it, Combine the 2 VHF antennas down to one cable and plug them into the VHF side of it????

thanks!

Wow.............

dodge said:
This is just some of my setup.
And some pics of the 2005 daytona 500 on fox in hd on my lcd.

I see you have NO guy wires. Don't you need them when the winter winds blow from our Wisconsin plains into Illinois? Just wondering.
Thanks for the pix.
Lyle :eek:

Parlyle said:
I see you have NO guy wires. Don't you need them when the winter winds blow from our Wisconsin plains into Illinois? Just wondering.
Thanks for the pix.
Lyle :eek:

That tower is quite short.. I would guess 35 feet or so.. it barely goes over the roofline. If it was bolted to a cement slab, or even built into a cement base, there would be no need for guy lines as its simply too short.

I got it..........

ultatryon said:
That tower is quite short.. I would guess 35 feet or so.. it barely goes over the roofline. If it was bolted to a cement slab, or even built into a cement base, there would be no need for guy lines as its simply too short.

I didn't know that the triangle tower had that much strength. With all the hardware on it, I thought that it might need more support. Goes to show ya.
I stand corrected, Thank you.
Lyle :smug

Guy wires etc

Actually
The antenna is mounted on a Tripod from menards. The tripod is bolted to a heavy , I mean heavy oak skid which sits a top 2 sawhorses made of pressure treated 2 by 6's. On top of the skid is five 75 lbs sandbags. The antenna is about 27 feet in the air. It has been there for over 2.5 years and hasnt gone anywhere. As you can see from my roof It has cedar shakes, and I cannot put a tripod on the roof. I am getting a new roof in the spring and It will then finnally go on the roof. It is shielded by the garage from the north so the wind doesnt really bother it all.

Packer country?......................

dodge said:
Lyle
by the way where up in packer country are you located??

We're about 14 miles east of the Minnesota border, from Stillwater MN. If you ever heard of "Tubing on the Apple River" in Somerset WI., we are the next town east of that, in New Richmond. We get all of the TwinCities Television including the digital. I have a Radio Shack, OTA antenna and can scan 10 digital and HD stations out of the Cities. With Dish as my other source, I'm pretty well set for the harsh winter snow days.
Thanks for asking!
Lyle :yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts