Preamp Recommendations?

I bought 2 preamp’s today
50f0ef920fe620c24b7c26ab9590f816.jpg

Actually, I think only the one in the white box is a preamp. The other is a signal amp. The preamp is designed to be mounted as close to your outside (or attic) antenna as possible

Reactions: Phalaenopsis
Amplifying a signal that is weak because you're using the wrong antenna isn't going to help much. Three times nothing is still nothing.

I know it’s the wrong antenna, but I’ll still need an amplifier when the 7 footer arrives . I had some time on my hands today so I decided to try once again on my Clearstream. I added the amp, redid the mast, and pointed the antenna. Amazingly, it worked! CBC isn’t pixelating anymore and I’m getting all my local VHF channels plus TVO which I wasn’t getting before. The only thing that’s concerning me about the RCA TVPRAMP1Z is the short piece of RG59 going from the power inserter to the TV. Other than that this preamp helped a lot!
Image1527622685.862102.jpg
Image1527622694.733207.jpg
Image1527622705.368429.jpg
Image1527622754.842261.jpg

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I know it’s the wrong antenna, but I’ll still need an amplifier when the 7 footer arrives . I had some time on my hands today so I decided to try once again on my Clearstream. I added the amp, redid the mast, and pointed the antenna. Amazingly, it worked! CBC isn’t pixelating anymore and I’m getting all my local VHF channels plus TVO which I wasn’t getting before. The only thing that’s concerning me about the RCA TVPRAMP1Z is the short piece of RG59 going from the power inserter to the TV. Other than that this preamp helped a lot! View attachment 133285View attachment 133286View attachment 133287View attachment 133288

Congratulations :)

Can’t wait for my stellar labs 7 foot vhf antenna to arrive! It’ll be awhile before I install it because I need to figure out how to run coax to the attic

I think you'll find that the pre-amp is overkill when you get the right antenna configuration. Yellow in the tvfool chart generally means 30 mile outdoor antenna or good indoor antenna. You shouldn't need a pre-amp until you get deep into the red stations. Of course if your antenna placement is really poor or your signals are broken up by "edges", all bets are off as to whether even amplification will help.

Do you have a TV with an OTA signal meter, or perhaps access to an HD Homerun tuner? If so, you can fine-tune your antenna(s) and make minute adjustments while watching the meter. It's difficult to adjust an antenna with more than just "point and pray" when you're aiming blind ;)

Do you have a TV with an OTA signal meter, or perhaps access to an HD Homerun tuner? If so, you can fine-tune your antenna(s) and make minute adjustments while watching the meter. It's difficult to adjust an antenna with more than just "point and pray" when you're aiming blind ;)

I have a old converter box with a Q meter but I also have a SNR meter on my tv. I tend to use the SNR meter more because it is more convenient. I get an SNR of 20.40 on CBET

I’ve found this $30 8 foot antenna on Craigslist and I don’t know if it’s worth it. How directional is it? Im going to mount it in the attic and I don’t have much room for pointing it. Is the Steller Labs 8 footer still better?
be890bc87352b673569b5951a1b711da.jpg
72b3559c59c1766920ea38fd11529428.jpg

I’ve found this $30 8 foot antenna on Craigslist and I don’t know if it’s worth it. How directional is it? Im going to mount it in the attic and I don’t have much room for pointing it. Is the Steller Labs 8 footer still better?
be890bc87352b673569b5951a1b711da.jpg
72b3559c59c1766920ea38fd11529428.jpg

Personally, I would be nervous buying it. Unless the seller will let you extend all the elements and test it first

I don’t know what antenna I should get. How’s the Steller Labs VHF-Hi 7 foot antenna perform on UHF? I want to pull in CIII-DT 29 and CHCH-DT-2 51 Both are about 60 miles away from me. So, what attic mounted antenna do you guys recommend?

Last edited:
Sadly yes. I need good antenna recommendations because I want to pick up CIII-DT 29 Global out of Leamington which is approximately 56 miles away

Sent from my LGMS631 using the SatelliteGuys app!

The pictured antenna, assuming it is undamaged, would be a great choice. It looks like a Radio Shack VU-60 or maybe a VU-90. Comparable antennas sell for upwards of $65 new.

At 50 miles, you're probably not going to want to bury whatever you use in the attic. YOU CANNOT RECOVER SIGNAL THAT YOU LOSE BY PLACING THE ANTENNA POORLY.

It will likely need more than a single story attic worth of elevation and it probably won't get enough signal through your roofing material unless it is lightweight fiberglass.

This is why you should present us with a specific goal/problem in your first post before you've started ordering stuff willy-nilly.

The pictured antenna, assuming it is undamaged, would be a great choice. It looks like a Radio Shack VU-60 or maybe a VU-90. Comparable antennas sell for upwards of $65 new.

At 50 miles, you're probably not going to want to bury whatever you use in the attic. YOU CANNOT RECOVER SIGNAL THAT YOU LOSE BY PLACING THE ANTENNA POORLY.

It will likely need more than a single story attic worth of elevation and it probably won't get enough signal through your roofing material unless it is lightweight fiberglass.

This is why you should present us with a specific goal/problem in your first post before you've started ordering stuff willy-nilly.

I can’t put the antenna outside or strap it to my chimney. The best I can do is a attic installation. I don’t know what materials my shingles are. It’s just plywood and the shingles
Image1528071304.288883.jpg
Image1528071311.837620.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Asphalt and stone chips do a fairly good job of attenuating TV signals as does the plywood sheathing beneath. As foliage and rain can do a number on reception, rocks and dirt do much more damage. Its a lot like wearing headphones over earplugs except that with RF signals, there is the added complication of interference (like wearing headphones playing death metal over earbuds playing classical piano).

You may or may not be able to pick up a usable signal at 50 miles with the best antenna given that you're adding your roofing material and that of many of the homes in your neighborhood if you're not above roof level. TV signals ideally travel in a straight line between the broadcast antenna and your antenna and the more obstacles you present, the less desirable signal gets through. Elevation to clear those obstacles is helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts